My son has a date for Homecoming, and he asked me to cook

Harbormaster

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Clark
Yep.

He decided he wanted me to cook for his first date. Left me a note this morning telling me what he was thinking (so I wouldn't forget).

I went shopping after work and here is the menu. What do y'all think? (I'm going to print this in a nice font on nice paper and have it on the table.)

First Course:

Caprese Salad – Vine ripened tomatoes seasoned with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper under a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese. Drizzled with a basil balsamic vinaigrette. Served with warm tomato focaccia bread and basil butter.

Second Course:

Cream of Butternut Squash soup – Slow smoked butternut squash blended with heavy cream. Seasoned with a hint of garlic and chipotle pepper.

Third Course

Bacon Wrapped Tenderloin Filet – An eight ounce beef tenderloin wrapped in bacon, reverse seared over natural hardwood charcoal to a perfect medium rare. Seasoned with Oakridge BBQ Black Ops Brisket Rub.

Grilled Romaine Lettuce – A generous portion of Romaine lettuce drizzled with olive oil, seasoned with Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Perfectly grilled over natural hardwood charcoal and topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Baked Potato – Russet potato slow cooked on the grill. Served hot with butter, sour cream, bacon bits, and cheddar cheese.

Fourth Course:

Milk and Cookies – Homemade chocolate chip cookies and ice cold milk. The timelessly simple and elegant dessert.

You could have a cpl marinaded chicken breasts and seasoned fish fillets on standby and menu could read " Your Choice of Meat . Beef, Chicken or Fish" :grin:

You could have a cpl marinaded chicken breasts and seasoned fish fillets on standby and menu could read " Your Choice of Meat . Beef, Chicken or Fish" :grin:
and what she doesn't choose could be a nice meal for mom and dad when the kids leave. Open a nice bottle and let the evening lead itself;)

If you have a small cake pan(4") you can make one chocolate chip cookie. Have him warm it, add a scoop of ice cream and share it. Might make for a more "playful" dessert.

You sure that this is first date and not him proposing to this young lady, Mine didn.t get to eat like that for the first year that we were dating, my Dad would of had a Biggy!!!

Sounds real good. My boys would never ask me to cook for a date. They figure I'll just make her fatty brisket and serve it with TX toast. :shock:

Sounds awesome. Though that might be a lot of food. The ladies tend to not eat a lot if it is first date or early on in the dating relationship.

That sounds Great! But what if she don't like Medium Rare? Or Red Meat?

No second date, IMHO
+1!

Seriously dude, he has a big date and talks to you about it, you are parenting right. He has a big date and asks for your help, you win at parenting.
Getting him to talk is like pulling teeth. We offered to cook for him and his buddies if he/they didn't have a date and followed that up with another offer when we found out he did have a date. He is a great kid and is careful not to do anything to get in trouble. Dinner here keeps him away from kids that might influence him to do something stupid.
Last night at the game, the young lady had her friend introduce her to me, which made a very positive impression.

Man I hope I am doing a good enough job with my girls to get such an honor. Almost ready to cry here.
That you are thinking about it indicates that you probably are.

With that type of request you get the Dad Of The Year Award!!
Nah. We're just doing the best that we can. We have a fool proof, 4,000 year old parenting outline that we try to follow.

The SoDT read the menu last night and says "You can't feed her this!" I asked why not and she says "Squash soup? Seriously?" Pretty funny. But when Joe read it, he was all smiles.

I don't usually take pics of my cooks, but I will post some pron of this one.
Thanks everyone.

Dinner is about over...

Other than dessert.

Couple of things.

First, I couldn't find fresh basil, so I made a vinaigrette from olive oil, balsamic and a basil paste I found. It turned out really well. Even the SoDT said she liked it better than fresh basil. She doesn't like basil.

Second, the squash soup frickin' RAWKED! An acorn squash, smoked until tender, about 3/4 cup cream, 3/4 cup milk, a bullion cube and a little water. Minced garlic, a pinch of chipotle, salt and pepper. Great smokey flavor, could taste the squash through it. Awesome. The SoDT doesn't like squash and even SHE said it was very good.

She did want her steak medium. That's OK. At least she didn't want it well done. Perfectly cooked, very tender and flavorful. The Oakridge BBQ Black Ops rub was great!

Both said they really enjoyed the meal. Probably not as much as I enjoyed cooking it.

We took pics, and I will post them, but I will warn you they are not very good.

Back