My New Shirley Fabrication Build Coming Along

BBQ Freak

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
BBQ Mojo
This excited feeling never gets old when Paul sends me pics of my new Shirley smoker being built and will be done next week . I am getting a 24 X 42 straight back on a modified trailer that will have a few different options that has never been on a 42 model . :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Front Side.jpg
    Front Side.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 350
Congrats for the 7th time! Or is it 8? That's my dream cooker right there. Minus the hip roof.

They say the hip roof adds clearance on the top rack but I don't see how. You still have to slide the meat passed the lip of the door frame? I bet Paul or Jeff can explain it better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Congrats for the 7th time! Or is it 8? That's my dream cooker right there. Minus the hip roof.

They say the hip roof adds clearance on the top rack but I don't see how. You still have to slide the meat passed the lip of the door frame? I bet Paul or Jeff can explain it better.

Yep,the door frame clearance is why I ruled out more cooking space. I'm not an engineer but I have a hunch a hip roof might draft slightly better because it's angled and less space up top for the heat and smoke to hang around. More aerodynamic so to speak.

That looks awesome. I'm curious, does a hip roof provide any extra benefit or is it for aesthetics?

just more air flow and a look thing .

yup and does not add any clearance at all .

pjtexas1 said:

Speculation on my part - you are heating via two methods in a smoker:
1. Convection is the heat in the circulating air.
2. Radiant heat is the heat emitted by hot surfaces.

The convection is relatively constant and gentle throughout the pit. However, radiant heat dissipates at the square of the distance from the heat source (i.e. you get 1/4 of the radiant heat at 2" that you would get from 1").

Being that the top of the pit is already hotter, it would make sense to give some space between the meat and the inside of the roof.

Back