My new LSG arrived! Pics and a question

TXNewbie

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Someone
So, it finally arrived. My first "real" smoker. A Lone Star Grillz PeeWee.

It's 100 degrees here today which isn't that bad, but the air quality and humidity is pretty tough today. So after 1.25 hours of attacking the crate with a crow bar (after I finished a couple of hours of yard work), sawzall, hammer, and profanity, I've given up for the day and will finish uncreating tomorrow. Although I appreciate how well it was crated, I do think the guy who crated it should be charge with attempted murder - someone someday is going to have a heart attacking trying to uncrate these!

The delivery driver was nice and helped me push it up our small hill on our driveway and drop it in the garage. He would not let me inspect it though and said "they are not allowed to even take it off the truck until I sign for it". I peeked in the top and it looked OK, and I took the advice on the other thread I started on how to accept delivery and wrote "possible concealed damage" just to cover myself. So far it looks great and seems to have no issues.

One question I do have is the thermometer on the door - it arrived very loose and if I turn it to tighten it then it is upside down. Should I just add a washer on the back side?

Here are some pics so far. I will include more this weekend as I finish uncreating and season it. Don't know why the pics loaded sideways, but I tried several times and I just can't get them to be vertical.

qxqwyx.jpg

25jfrih.jpg

15jd52.jpg

Congrats! You think they would switch to screws. Somebody is gonna hurt themselves eventually.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dont turn the thermometer with your hand, some of them you can mess up doing that. Should be a flat spot behind the dial where you can turn it with a wrench. Im betting if you use a wrench you can get it on snug and upright.

Dont turn the thermometer with your hand, some of them you can mess up doing that. Should be a flat spot behind the dial where you can turn it with a wrench. Im betting if you use a wrench you can get it on snug and upright.

There is a giant nut behind the thermometer, but I'm not about to tighten it that much without talking to LSG first.

I already did turn it by hand as it was literally about to fall out.

Congratulations! The 100 degree temperature stuff we have been enduring is bad enough without have to uncrate the new cooker. By the way.... what a neat, cool and very neat garage you have!

Congratulations! The 100 degree temperature stuff we have been enduring is bad enough without have to uncrate the new cooker. By the way.... what a neat, cool and very neat garage you have!

Thanks! Usually the heat doesn't bother me that much, but the air quality today with the humidity was pretty tough.

I'm thinking of upgrading from a sawzall to a chainsaw to try and get my smoker fully uncrated (kidding, but only because I don't own a chainsaw).

Congrats! I remember the crate that my Stumps came in. What a workout uncrating it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd gladly loan you 2 12 year old grand kids- but I'm afraid they would not stop with the crate. Ain't nuthin' they can't tear the hell up.

It very well might have a nut in back to assist in stopping it in the upright position. If not, take the therm to Lowe's and match a nut to the stem and proceed as above.

If ther is a nut inside the smoker also then use two wrenches to tighten them together. If only one on the outside then hold the therm with one hand and tighten the nut as it is just acting as a jam nut.

Just spin the thermometer on from a different starting position until it’s facing the correct direction when tight.

Just spin the thermometer on from a different starting position until it’s facing the correct direction when tight.

Tried that like 10 times and it always ended up exactly in the same position. :)

Apply Teflon tape to threads first. Will allow to tighten sufficiently in a different position but also seal well enough.

Back