THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stangman327

Full Fledged Farker
Well actually my first duck anything. Love Chinese roasted duck like the kind you see hanging in the window in China town so I decided to make my own.

It was late and I only got a couple of pics...sorry.

Basically I followed Malcom Reed’s recipe so you can YouTube it if you want it. I let it sit overnight uncovered in the fridge. Used my Hunsaker (love that darn thing) with some apple chunks. Kept temps 325-350 range.

I have mixed feelings about it...LOVE the taste but the prep time, yield and price ($17) allows this dish to be considered as a “special treat”.

If you’ve never tried duck I suggest you do since the flavor destroys chicken. We have a place near us that serves roasted duck with hand pulled noodles...can’t get enough of it!

I’ll do it again one day but I’m going to try to find a big fat duck.

f5e719dfd025108d2814ee7eb930e605.jpg

614be1378d42050390c5f3a977c10602.jpg

16f5d65cf66af9fb34fc21d74302ab8d.jpg

Oh I got it from a store called H-Mart. Around the DMV (D.C, Maryland and Virginia) area we're fortunate to have a wide selection of Asian and international grocery stores so sourcing wasn't a problem so I suggest you check at your local international store for one.

While you're in there take your time and walk around and I promise you'll be surprised with all the different selections of fish and cuts of meats you'll find also the spices.

ONE problem with duck - DIRTY OVEN! Tons of fat you can save and cook with later.

stang nailed H-Mart, it's a chain of Korean type stores - I find the vegetables to be excellent, and since the fish sell like hotcakes, the turnover is great and LESS stale fish than at Safeway. You want Mahi? Only place in town to get it, my sick cat needed it.
You have Lotte, and Korean Korner off Viers Mill Rd., as well as a more Chinese place - The Great Wall, in Rockville, about 700 Hungerford drive....

I would walk down those aisles and enlarge your home menu.

They have excellent products.

ONE problem with duck - DIRTY OVEN! Tons of fat you can save and cook with later.

stang nailed H-Mart, it's a chain of Korean type stores - I find the vegetables to be excellent, and since the fish sell like hotcakes, the turnover is great and LESS stale fish than at Safeway. You want Mahi? Only place in town to get it, my sick cat needed it.
You have Lotte, and Korean Korner off Viers Mill Rd., as well as a more Chinese place - The Great Wall, in Rockville, about 700 Hungerford drive....

I would walk down those aisles and enlarge your home menu.

They have excellent products.

Yes exactly! Most people don't know what they're missing when drive right by these stores. I live within a short drive of two Lotte, two H-Mart, Great Wall and Global Food. You can't get barracuda at Safeway but you can at Global Food LOL.

Oh check out "The Spot Asian Food Hall" at Rockeville Town Center for the roasted duck hand pulled noodles.

Think I'm going to do get rabbit next!

Good looking duck. I agree that duck is a "special treat". I steam my duck first to save as much of the duck fat as possible before cooking it. And H-mart might possibly be the greatest supermarket on the planet (There's one in Koreatown in Manhattan).

Attachments

• Pork Jowl01(H Mart).jpg
    Pork Jowl01(H Mart).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Flanken01-02(Korean Supermarket H-Mart).jpg
    Flanken01-02(Korean Supermarket H-Mart).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 113
Back