My first Fatty

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
Did the first cook on my new Ninja Woodfire. I figured I'd follow the tradition of smoking a fatty. Never had one before.

Jimmy Dean original and Oakridge Secret Weapon:

53156826934_6a74390591_c.jpg
[/IMG]

The smoker:

53157052295_dd862783b5_c.jpg
[/IMG]

With thermometer inserted:

53157117668_ce01846a6c_c.jpg
[/IMG]

Unfortunately my foil pan was too big.

I used some sample pellets supplied by Ninja. Supposedly mild (maple, apple, oak)

Woodfire Pellets by Maylar 2007, on Flickr

The smoker allows you to choose from a list of proteins and doneness, or manually set the target temperature. I set it for 165 which seems to be the upper limit. When you start smoker mode it does an ignition sequence to start the smoke, then when the set temperature (275) is reached it starts waiting for the thermometer.

At the end it says "Get Food". Finished fatty:

53157117863_ee4566b874_c.jpg
[/IMG]

And plated:

53157117383_ab1ed9fec6_c.jpg
[/IMG]

Overall impression is that the fatty was overpowered by rub and smoke. I'll need to revisit that. Next will be some ribs!

I'll add that the smoke was pretty thick. I had to close my kitchen door in order to keep the house from stinking up.

Interesting little unit. Is that a fan inside the lid? So it's kind of like a convection oven with smoke?

You'll get them dialed in, the experimenting is half the fun.

For me 225° indirect will render a lot of the fat out and I don't go too heavy on the rub and black pepper. I try to hit 160° internal in around 2 hours. I've made so many sliders both for work and football Sunday pot lucks... usually smoking 5 or 6 at a time, and getting 9 slices per fatty.

CVGLYr1.jpg

Interesting little unit. Is that a fan inside the lid? So it's kind of like a convection oven with smoke?

Yes. It's a smoker (pellets), air crisper, convection oven, broiler and dehydrator.

Gonna try air crisper mode on a sausage grinder next.

I like the Naked Fatty Best. I cook usually 4-5 at a time on my Egg. I start the cook at 150 and will gradually increase the temp. Want to give them 4-5 hrs of cook time. I dont get too much smoke with the Egg

Nice job, Maylar! Hope you like the Woodfire as much as I do. Still haven't done a fatty...maybe this weekend.

Didn't care for the pellets that came with the thing. Been using Pit Boss cherry and BBQr's Delight pecan. At the rate the smoker uses pellets, those 2 bags will last me for years.

I've been using pellets in a smoke tube on my gasser for years. I'll have to see what I have. Not gonna buy a 20 lb. bag.

I've been using pellets in a smoke tube on my gasser for years. I'll have to see what I have. Not gonna buy a 20 lb. bag.
Bought the cherry in a 20# bag. Co-worker has a Masterbuilt electric pellet smoker. Gave him 6-8# to try.

Did the first cook on my new Ninja Woodfire. I figured I'd follow the tradition of smoking a fatty. Never had one before.

Jimmy Dean original and Oakridge Secret Weapon:

53156826934_6a74390591_c.jpg
[/IMG]

The smoker:

53157052295_dd862783b5_c.jpg
[/IMG]

With thermometer inserted:

53157117668_ce01846a6c_c.jpg
[/IMG]

Unfortunately my foil pan was too big.

I used some sample pellets supplied by Ninja. Supposedly mild (maple, apple, oak)

Woodfire Pellets by Maylar 2007, on Flickr

The smoker allows you to choose from a list of proteins and doneness, or manually set the target temperature. I set it for 165 which seems to be the upper limit. When you start smoker mode it does an ignition sequence to start the smoke, then when the set temperature (275) is reached it starts waiting for the thermometer.

At the end it says "Get Food". Finished fatty:

53157117863_ee4566b874_c.jpg
[/IMG]

And plated:

53157117383_ab1ed9fec6_c.jpg
[/IMG]

Overall impression is that the fatty was overpowered by rub and smoke. I'll need to revisit that. Next will be some ribs!

Congrats on your first fatty, some constructive advise, it would appear you are cooking a bit hot. Bark should not really be that dark. Secondly, for God's sake learn how to cut an even un-jagged slice. We eat with our eyes first!
Now go practice!
Ed

Congrats on your first fatty, some constructive advise, it would appear you are cooking a bit hot. Bark should not really be that dark. Secondly, for God's sake learn how to cut an even un-jagged slice. We eat with our eyes first!
Now go practice!
Ed

Thanks. Next one will be 225 to 160 as suggested. I never sliced a fatty before, didn't know what to expect. And I was hungry :redface:

My first hurdle was figuring out how to get the sausage out of its wrapper without destroying it. Need fatty training.

Back