Can I salvage dry ribs?

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
Smoked a nice big rack of baby backs on Saturday, on my Ninja Woodfire electric smoker.

53228867523_2654e7d69b_c.jpg

The Ninja cookbook said 2 hrs. at 250 and start checking for doneness after 90 minutes. At 2 hrs. the IT was about 180 and it was getting dark out so I moved inside. The ribs were tough. Couldn't separate the bones with a fork. They certainly looked done:

53229060915_3c44e73157_c.jpg

So I put them in the oven for another half hour at 350. Still not cooked tender and they were dry. Not enjoyable at all.

53228866303_775637ff46_c.jpg

I know they need more time to cook, but is there any way to regain some moisture? I'll be doing it in the kitchen.

TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm, look pretty dry. Maybe use them in "ham and beans" but substitute the ham with the ribs? I do ribs and beans a few times a year, using my leftover BB rib ends, or slightly dry ribs.

They would flavor a pot of beans real good. Not baked beans or bbq beans - I mean like a winter soup with northern beans or even mexican beans "pintos".
Or Shred em and add one block Velveeta and 2 cans of Rotel - we refer to it as "Hillbilly dip".

edit: pour the dip over a plate of chips add some toppings and enter the nacho throwdown!

There is a thread hanging around here somewhere about boiling ribs, might get some guidance from it :shock: :wink:

At 180D F, despite how they looked, they weren't done.
Ribs are like pork butt, and brisket, they don't get "done" till about 200D F or so.
They will be tough and dry until then.
Cook them some more by some method.

Put’em back in the cooker.

I did it to a thick end that wasn’t quit done but the rest of the rack was.

I’d smoke ‘em to 170-180, wrap in foil with some butter and brown sugar then finish off in the oven to about 205.

I would put them on Foil or on a sheet pan, add favorite BBQ sauce on both sides, wrap tightly, put into a 250-275 Oven till they probe tender..........what have you got to lose?

I would put them on Foil or on a sheet pan, add favorite BBQ sauce on both sides, wrap tightly, put into a 250-275 Oven till they probe tender..........what have you got to lose?

That's the plan. Thanks.

Back