My Fatty Piston

Dang Jeanie, made my jaw drop :eek:, I was prepared to keep the keyboard clean......:rolleyes:

Great as always ...... mmmmmm :biggrin:

Thank you Don, Rich, LJ and Ken! (((HUG))):biggrin:

ljh, it was a piece I had on hand... in fact I had all of the pvc to make this on hand from other projects. (my water well was one of them :sad:)

The large section is a 2" diameter piece and is 8 inches long.
The smaller section of pvc pipe is a 1" diameter and 11 inches long.
I cut the disc out of a larger piece of plastic.. just used a hand held jig saw and then trimmed it to fit using some snips.... then sanded off any rough spots.

It was an easy thing to make. I really like it though, it works great!

Jeanie, That’s just awesome!
And I’m so glad you tried the piston. I have made many fatties since that first Fattie Piston post and have defiantly decided that it’s bbq tool that will stay in my arsenal.
I have figured out a pretty simple PVC configuration that works well and I’ve had enough people ask about them that I figured I would make a blog page with a paypal link so people can order one . Hopefully that way more people can try out the fattie piston. We will sell them cheap and plan to donate all proceeds to an area youth program. The page should be ready in a week or so.
I love the ziplock bag idea!
Regardless of what tools you used, it is quite clear that you are a master in the kitchen…that fattie is perfect! And I dare say the bacon weave is the best I have ever seen. VERY nice pics. I’m going to be sure to do a corned beef hash fattie soon!
Thanks for sharing with us.

Grillinski, that is great!! Please let me know when you get your site set up so I can point people in your direction to purchase one!
Thanks again!!

Neil, the weave is easy... I weave the bacon on a piece of plastic wrap...

012-12-1.jpg

Then set my fatty in one corner and roll it up, folding the ends in as I go....

019-7-6.jpg

The plastic wrap helps keep the roll tight. Then I let it chill in the fridge for a bit before smoking.

098-3.jpg

Larry and Ron! :lol:

Thank you Neil, Larry, TrustTheDust and Ron!

Fatty Piston

Jeanie,
Fantastic as usual.. the pics. are great! I never experenced a fatty before. I've been wanting to try one. Liked the idea of hash for stuffing.You cooked yours for 4 hrs. and at what temp. and what internal temp.? Great idea with the piston:idea:. Will have to make me a new toy!Thanks Grillinski, Cowgirl.

I just showed this thread to my wife the vegetarian. I wish you could have heard her go on about how beautiful it was. She described the raw product as
'looking just like porcelain." I am deeply moved.

Thank you Alan... I used my drum and smoked at a temperature of around 290. I was trying to get the bacon a bit crispy (I'm not fond of soggy bacon :)). I didn't take the internal temperature of the fatty when I pulled it. I did let it rest for 15 minutes before cutting into it though. Sorry I can't be more specific!! :redface:

Thank you Mr and Mrs Cameraman! :biggrin: You've made my day! :biggrin:

That is a really good looking fattie! Thanks for sharing the end result and how to weave the bacon. I made my first fattie last night and let me just say it looked inedible compared to yours.

Ron L, you're right, MacGuyver would have been an awesome BBQer. Or is it that Cowgirl would have been better at being MacGuyver than MacGuyver? :D

That is a really good looking fattie! Thanks for sharing the end result and how to weave the bacon. I made my first fattie last night and let me just say it looked inedible compared to yours.

Ron L, you're right, MacGuyver would have been an awesome BBQer. Or is it that Cowgirl would have been better at being MacGuyver than MacGuyver? :D

IronStomach, thank you! I bet your fattie was tasty too!

I'm not a MacGuyver, just a country girl that has to fix things on a regular basis. lol I keep lots of baling wire and duct tape on hand. :redface::-D

Nice work. I need to regroup before I try this again. If my family saw what a proper fattie looked like they might never have me cook them again.
Exactly what did you use for PVC material for the plunger. I dont recall anything that I can think of that's made of PVC and flat.

Thank you Zydeco and Kickback!
Kickback I cut the plunger disc from a piece that was flat and sort of dimpled. It was maybe four inches square. I will see if I can find a pic somewhere of what I used. Seems like it was made for a kitchen backsplash.

The large tube is 8 inches long and has a diameter of 2 inches (inside)... the smaller tube is 11 inches long and has a diameter of 1 inch.

I just used a cap that fit into my hand for the other end.

I bet your fatties are tasty Kickback! That's what's important. :-D

Cow Girl .... Great Job .... Your presentation was awsume.

Back