My egg ready to hatch

Mine is bigger than 36 I think. I need to get out and measure it.

As far as the double sided doors, I would not do it. You will need counterweights and they will be in the way. Pull out shelves are the way to go.

With that length though I would go with 2 doors on one side, 2 shelves per. The way mine is with 3 shelves, I can barely put butts in there, and I am thinking that mine is 42". I'll measure it later. 2 shelves with the bottom one only about 2 inches above the channel that allows for the reverse flow, and make more than one slot for the other so it can be raised or lowered a little for convenience. However this will limit the depth of that rack as it will need to be able to fit in all slots with the door closed.

I like the reverse flow for steady temps from side to side. A must for the length of the pit.

Go with 1/2" plate for the firebox. You will thank yourself down the road. The size of the fire that I have to build in that thing, still warps the darned 1/2" plate when it gets going hot, but ends up going back in shape.

As far as the exhaust goes, I will measure those later also. I have 2 pretty good sized ones. No problem to go with larger than needed because you can choke it down, but if it is too small you can't open it up any wider.

Thought I may have had a couple of pics on the computer, but no. I'll have a chance to get some sometime betweeen today and Tuesday depending on how things go.

Once you get to biulding it, you need to keep us posted.

Sounds like a good plan would be go visit Greg and then you could really examine the Ortone. Might be well worth the drive to Illinois.

Greg, you still got the pics you posted of the pit when you were buying it? I found the thread but the pics were gone.

jt said:
Sounds like a good plan would be go visit Greg and then you could really examine the Ortone. Might be well worth the drive to Illinois.

Greg, you still got the pics you posted of the pit when you were buying it? I found the thread but the pics were gone.

There are a couple of pictures, not the detail ones your talking about, in photo gallery, brethren bashes, mini bash at Gregs, page 6

(Although the pictures of Greg in his blue hat on page 7 are hot)

parrothead said:
Mine is bigger than 36 I think. I need to get out and measure it.

QUOTE]

Careful, you are in Q talk and could get some interesting responses to that line.

You may want to consider making the section between the two door hinged, you can lift out of the way so you can load whole hog easier.
Can get you some pitures if your interested.

Looks like it will be a killer Q'er...Can't wait to see the finished prod!

I to am in the process of designing a smoker. I have a 250 gallon propane tank but what I am trying to figure out is should I go with the baffle inside the chamber (like a Lang) or are those turning plates (like the Cyclops) a better route?

jminion said:
You may want to consider making the section between the two door hinged, you can lift out of the way so you can load whole hog easier.
Can get you some pitures if your interested.

Brilliant!

Ok guys,

I need to know what size of a trailer i should get! I am thinking a 16' x 82" trailer, my father (the manufacturing genius) thinks a 14' or smaller would be fine. I def. think we need a dual axel, i am not sure how much my pipe weighs right now as is. anyone know? (36" dia 3/8 thick and 84" long) my smoker will be apprx. 10' long after its finished. any help would be appreaciated.

Thanks

Dace Branson

Branson's BBQ

Just a suggestion from experience. A tandem axle will cost more to set up but the the ride is exponentialy better. If you're building the trailer from scratch, 102" wide is legal everywhere as far as I know.

dswfondy said:
Ok guys,

I need to know what size of a trailer i should get! I am thinking a 16' x 82" trailer, my father (the manufacturing genius) thinks a 14' or smaller would be fine. I def. think we need a dual axel, i am not sure how much my pipe weighs right now as is. anyone know? (36" dia 3/8 thick and 84" long) my smoker will be apprx. 10' long after its finished. any help would be appreaciated.

Thanks

Dace Branson

Branson's BBQ

Here is a good site for calculating pipe weight.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pipe-weight-calculation-d_745.html

thanks guys,

i am thinking now about getting 16' dual axel and mount the smoker on the drivers side of the trailer. This will leave space for amy addtional things i might want to mount on it and give me room to haul my cycle to!!

Nice score on the pipe, where did you find it? I need to get my brother into this, he's the scavenger and fabricator.

update

I will take some pictures of the early stages tomorrow, I got a welding instructor of our local tech college on the task. It should be done in time for my first comp in july. Settled on a single axel, got a 6.5 x 12 trailer for $600 its only 2 years old. The guy had stripped the paint off and decided to buy another instead of repaint(crazy i think but good deal for me) I got the pipe donated from J F Ahern

dswfondy

Branson's BBQ

Back