Mustard slather on ribs vs no slather

Is it worth the trouble?

Depends what you want to accomplish. Flavor not really with plain yellow mustard. It smells good while cooking. If you let the rub get wet it will set better.

It helps keep the rub on. Got to go very thin not to thick. I think it's more of a useful competition tool in the backyard not really needed in my opinion. Try it and see what you think do one rack with mustard and one without mustard and compare.

I don't usually do it but for some reason did it yesterday. Decided I liked the way it keep the rub on when turning over the rack to coat the other side. And rub stayed on better while transferring to the pit. General consensus it does not affect the flavor.

I don't use it. It's too much of a messy step for little to no gains over other methods.

If I want a thick coat of rub for whatever reason I'll sprinkle some on and then after 10-20 minutes sprinkle it on again after the first layer has brought out the moisture. It'll lay on nice and thick that way.

That being said, I've gotten away from really heavy handed layering of rubs these days and just go nice and easy or sometimes even nekkid.

Did the mustard thing once upon a time. Now I use a spray bottle with canola oil in it-adjusted to make a heavy mist. Goes on way easier than mustard and does about the same thing. Use the same bottle to spritz my newspaper with before I start my chimney of coals.

I'm a mustard slather guy. Sometimes I mix it up though and use worchestershire sauce.

I tried it once. I had to try it once. It seemed like an expensive way to keep the rub on.

I really like the slather. Got my mustard from Costco and used it on the six racks of spares I did over the weekend. I was practicing my rib cooking so I gave a lot of the ribs away to my guinea pigs...er, uh,...I mean friends and they all raved. I don't mind the extra step.

saw it and tried it...

And it was fine. I always heard it did not add flavor but had seen spicy brown used bad thought it might add some flavor. On my next brisquet I was thinking of trying garlic tobasco sauce and a little oil to see how it goes?

I love mustard....but I don't use it as rub glue anymore...really adds nothing flavor wise, just adds to the mess I make in the kitchen when prepping my Q

I believe it helps the rub adhere but also results in less bark. Try either way and see what you think! I've done both ways and still am not totally sure. Part of it I'd say depends on how bark-y your particular smoker smokes!

I love bark big time, so I'm leaning heavily toward use olive oil spray or something similar to adhere rub and still getting max bark.

It depends on how many racks I am cooking. When I do, I either do a light coating or make a slather consisting of; mustard, worcester, soy, and rub. Always works well and tastes great. To each their own.

hot sauce
DSCF0202.jpg

Back