Brisket - to slather or not to slather?

slider2021

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
The Dark Bark
I will be smoking a gorgeous 12-pound brisket for Father's Day next weekend. I've made a kick-ass rub that I've used before and the brisket came out perfect (see attached pics). I've read a few articles about using a simple yellow mustard slather prior to adding the rub and wanted to get the group's thoughts on this method?

I would think that a slather would not let the rub adhere to the meat, therefore not providing the deep bark that I am looking for in my cook.

BTW - I usually add some beef tallow & wrap my brisket in butcher paper post-stall, and cook it that way for the remainder of the cook prior to placing it in my cooler or oven to rest.

Any suggestions and feedback would be appreciated

Peace.

Attachments

• 20210704_075651.jpg
    20210704_075651.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 294
  • 20210704_075602.jpg
    20210704_075602.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 291
  • BrisketEndResults.jpg
    BrisketEndResults.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 287
Why mess with success? The purpose of slathering is, as you recognize, to help rub adhere. Not everyone needs or uses it. But your bark looks good and if you were happy with your last brisket flavor-wise I'd not feel obligated to change what you did well. But I do understand the desire to keep experimenting and hoping for yet better results - I might not do it for guests, however. My wife is always experimenting. No matter how much we praise one of her meal creations, she always goes back to Google for the newest 'Best' whatever.

No slather here either. Strictly 1 to 1 Diamond Crystal kosher salt and coarse ground (16 mesh-ish) black pepper.

Interesting question. My briskets get dry rub, then a mustard based sop as needed while cooking, but I don't wrap. The dry rub seems to stay in place just fine. But, I typically don't move them much and cook fat side down. Cook two and compare :grin:

I've really moved away from using a slather because I feel like the rub can get caught in the slather and not actually hit the meat. I've cooked a lot of ribs I have had some throughout the years which have no flavor, even though I use a good amount of rub. One day I cooked ribs for lunch and they were of the "no flavor" variety + mustard slather, so I cooked another rack for dinner without a slather and wow...massive difference in flavor.

Granted I may have used a bit heavier slather than I should have (can't recall), but overall I've moved away from slathers and have never had any problems with rub adhering or forming bark.

No slather most of the time. If I'm feeling fancy I'll use a little Worcestershire sauce.

I've done no slather, mustard, mustard and pickle juice, Maggi, blah, blah blah. I can't say that I see much, if any, difference. I'd say consider injecting if you're looking to intensify flavor...

I wet all my briskets with Worcestershire before adding kosher salt, restaurant grind black pepper from GFS, crushed red pepper, lemon pepper.

I remember talking brisket with myron and topic of slather came up. He laughed and said no sh*t I put on my hot dog will ever find its way on my brisket and if anyone thinks it makes a difference I have plenty of $$$ and trophies to prove them otherwise.

That was a fun day filled with great convo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only use a slather when i trim briskets the night before rubbing them / putting them on the smoker. I go very light with the slather also.

Good morning all and Happy Father's Day!

Just took this pic about 5 minutes ago. It's been smoking (Traeger Pro Series 34) since 10:45 pm EST last night (about 8 hours) at 225 degrees. It has about 4 more hours before I start checking temps.

Dry rub - SPG
Hickory pellets

https://imgur.com/gallery/e8poJLJ

Peace

Back