Mussels and Kielbasa a la Mexicana

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I've been watching a good number of Rick Bayless Mexican cooking videos lately. The one posted today looked interesting and since I hadn't really contemplated what to make for supper a quick run to Market Basket for ingredients was made around 4 pm.

This is his Mussels a la Mexicana recipe

I picked up

Tomatoes
Poblano Chilis
Jalapeno
White Onion
Cilantro
2 lbs of Mussels
French bread

I diced up the Tomatoes, Poblanos, Jalapenos and White Onion, also adding Cilantro. As the video recommends, wing it as far as amounts. Right up my alley. It's essentially the ingredients for Pico de Gallo. Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt but don't use lime -

lA7B2WE.jpg

Mix it up, let the salt draw out some moisture -

Ia1h8tm.jpg

Meanwhile, I decided to make use of the Bubba Keg which I haven't used in quite some time. I heated the Lodge Dutch oven and since I had some Kielbasa in the fridge, well there goes any Mexican authenticity... :mrgreen: Linguica or Chorizo would be more appropriate. So it goes -

piDyK3k.jpg

Heat some EVOO in the Dutch oven and cook the salsa -

RU2drMc.jpg

I added too much liquid, had to pour some out to get the veggies to eventually brown, which they sort of did -

chbA8Qd.jpg

There, that's better -

ph6bAxB.jpg

No Mexican beer on hand, nor did I have any clam juice which I would normally use in a seafood stew, so Sam Adams Summer Ale will have to do. I used two bottles -

ghOLtBe.jpg

Add the veggie liquid I poured off and the Mussels and Kielbasa -

EyNU9mN.jpg

Cover with a lid and steam til the mussels open -

HXUE3sX.jpg

Time to eat! Garnish with Cilantro, serve with some French bread and another Sammie -

GPi42M7.jpg

9tOi3ry.jpg

UO3xq3o.jpg

As good as it looks! This was outstanding. Some nice heat due to the Poblanos and Jalapenos but not an incredible amount. Great flavors and it will use up a lot of French bread dipping into the broth! :-D

A tip of my hat to Rick Bayless for the recipe. It couldn't have been more timely.

As always, thanks for following along on tonite's dinner. And definitely give this a try yourself. It was incredibly easy to make and unbelievably delicious.

Regards,
-lunchman

Man!! That looks amazing! Colorful and delicious, served with a Sam Adams, what more could you want? Great job, Dom.

What no homemade bread :laugh: I do enjoy watching Rick too. You totally nailed that cook and I like the Polish twist on it. Man I am hungry!

What no homemade bread :laugh: I do enjoy watching Rick too. You totally nailed that cook and I like the Polish twist on it. Man I am hungry!

Nope, no homemade bread this time, Joe. A late afternoon decision for dinner. :mrgreen:

If Rick hadn't posted that video we would have been ordering pizza for dinner.

Love Rick Bayless. Love Mexican food. Love mussels. Didn't know he had a Mexican version. Yours look delicious, may have to give it a go.

Love Rick Bayless. Love Mexican food. Love mussels. Didn't know he had a Mexican version. Yours look delicious, may have to give it a go.

Go for it, Andy. I was reviewing his video today to determine if perhaps I'd added too much beer, trying to compare consistency with his recipe. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong no matter how you prepare this. The more broth the better I say. We had it for lunch today and it was still outstanding.

I enjoy watching his videos, though I'm not a devout fan of Mexican food. But I've been watching for unique fillings for Taco Tuesday. Lots of fun experimenting.

Back