Multiple cookers, how do you decide which to use?

70monte

is Blowin Smoke!
I was told that I'm going to be cooking the meat for Thanksgiving again. We are having ribs and Turkey. They want the turkey smoked.

I have many different cookers and was trying to decide which one am I going to use this year. Last year I cooked two racks of ribs and a 3lb turkey breast and did it on the PBC.

I was just curious for those of you in the same boat, what is your process on deciding what cooker you choose to use.

Depends on how much effort I want to exert. Sometimes I also like to fire up multiple cookers for different meats just for fun.

I know the struggle. Used to deal with the dilemma often. Since transitioning back to the single cooker KISS approach I have been set free... lol.

That's actually what I enjoy about my minimal setup. A smoker, a griddle, and a grill. Usually pretty easy to decide between those.

The bigger trick is if I'm trying to decide if I need to incorporate a pressure cooker or a sous vide..

Easy! The Marshall has the room, go with it and make sure you have Turkey. enough extra meat to supplement for eating turkey two weeks straight. Turkey. I like smoked turkey but it can get old after day 4. Turkey. Turkey. Turkey. Get my drift?

For turkey I'd use whichever one produces the cleanest smoke. Poultry seems to absorb smoke pretty easily so a clean fire is key. For me that's the stick burner rather than wood chunks added to the green egg.

I know the struggle. Used to deal with the dilemma often. Since transitioning back to the single cooker KISS approach I have been set free... lol.

This is why I wish I could get myself to reduce things down to one or two but I have not gotten there yet.

I honestly have no desire to own just one be all/end all cooker. I like cooking in different ways too much to do that. On a special cook like Thanksgiving I'm looking for the easiest cooker with the least amount of work or risk. A pellet cooker or electric smoker comes in handy here.

Easy! The Marshall has the room, go with it and make sure you have Turkey. enough extra meat to supplement for eating turkey two weeks straight. Turkey. I like smoked turkey but it can get old after day 4. Turkey. Turkey. Turkey. Get my drift?

I've been fortunate to have been around Chris Marks (founder of the Marshall) and sampled most of the proteins that we all cook. Turkey on that cooker totally stands out as one of the best turkeys I've ever had. I don't remember much smoke coming out of the stack, but it was perfectly done. He ran at 300 if I remember correctly.

Anyway... it's been a while, but that cooker just really stands out.... Good luck!

My cookers are basically uds's of different sizes. The size of the cook tells me which to pick. If I had 2 of the same size' I'd have to play favorites which is bad parenting.

Start. Does the cooking temp need to be over 375? Yes. Big Joe

No. Am I cooking a boat load of stuff? Yes. FEC100

No. Am I really lazy today? Yes. FEC100

No. Big Joe.

I keep a list of cooks so I know which one to use next. That's the struggle with wanting 1 of every type. Some go 9 months without being used. But I've started selling several. It's hard...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2 choices, go the one your most comfortable with or go the one with the most Wow effect
Depends on what your chasing

I've been fortunate to have been around Chris Marks (founder of the Marshall) and sampled most of the proteins that we all cook. Turkey on that cooker totally stands out as one of the best turkeys I've ever had. I don't remember much smoke coming out of the stack, but it was perfectly done. He ran at 300 if I remember correctly.

Anyway... it's been a while, but that cooker just really stands out.... Good luck!

I have too and have taken three of his classes. Great guy and very knowledgeable. I've not had any bad food off of the Marshall so I know it can do the job. The only negative about this smoker is that it's a fuel hog but that's about it. It holds very steady temps.

I'm leaning toward using the Marshall since I've not used it in awhile and because of it's configuration, I can cook the turkey on a higher rack off to the side for little higher temps and to put the ribs lower down on the opposite side so I don't have poultry over the top of the ribs.

I thought about using the M1 with wood but I've not tried cooking that much food on it at once and really don't want to experiment with that for a Thanksgiving dinner.

I keep a list of cooks so I know which one to use next. That's the struggle with wanting 1 of every type. Some go 9 months without being used. But I've started selling several. It's hard...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is pretty much me. I like trying out new cookers but don't sell previous ones because I still like things about them. I guess it's good to have options that will work for most situations.

Back