Worst turkey ever

oldgfbbq

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
G-man
...at least at my house!

I generally try to experiment when cooking birds over the holidays. Mostly new recipes, but this Thanksgiving was a different approach. I saw frozen, pre-brined birds at Wally World and wondered how it would taste if I simply thawed and cooked.

With a little seasoning on the outside and a probe in the breast, it was cooked at the same time as our other turkey in a smoker. It looked the same on the outside, but there was a huge difference in taste and texture. It was so bad, I just wrapped it back up on foil and stuck it in the basement fridge. So, what do I do with it now? We have two dogs......

Huh, never had a turkey so bad I wouldn't eat it, Not sure what could have gone wrong...

If the meat was that bad dont feed it to your dogs. You could use the carcass to make soup but if the meat was bad that may not be good either. Turkey chili could work

Same here… couple years ago smoked two birds both from Wally World… cooked side by side…one was so bad could not eat…. just trashed it

G-man, DO NOT feed that carcass to your dogs! You might try feeding the meat to the dogs, but DO NOT feed turkey bones to the dog! I had to bury my dog because he managed to topple the trash can and ate the turkey carcass that he sniffed out of the trash. The splintered bones from the bird that wound up in his stomach and intestines killed him.

thanks for feedback, the meat is safe to eat, no bones for dogs. it was such a contrast. I wet brined 2 birds, roasted 1, and this was one of two I smoked. maybe brining does more than I remember. once I brined, never went back, until this one. just might have been a less than desirable bird.

going in my thought was all that could be lost was $13.

glad I did it, probably never again

sorry for the cell phone response/grammar.

Back