Mods to Oklahoma Joe Highland?

Beefydan

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Dan
Hey folks, any recommended upgrades to my Highland? The paint is peeling on the firebox and I get some leaks from the chamber. Is it worth repainting or putting in a gasket? So far I’ve had some great cooks but am curious if hardware upgrades will noticeably help

My Highland mods

Oklahoma Joe firebasket sits on the firebox grate (grill grates removed to cook chamber. To me the most important mod for temp control and longevity of the Highland.

You can wrap the FB Cooking grates in foil and use as deflector/baffle I use the cast iron divider from my Primo Oval XL.

Exhaust Stack extension. Stainless tailpipe extension from Auto Zone.

No gaskets no clamps no second thermometer no portholes drilled

Firebox paint blistered and peeled. It eventually quits peeling. Before and after each cook for a good while I sprayed the firebox with cooking spray. Pam works. But store brands work. Treat it like cast iron. Don't spray while cooking or that spray will lite up. I spray FB when cold then again in warm down.

There are multiple YouTube videos on Highland. Fire control, full modifications, etc. They're good

I settled on stack extension, fire basket, heat deflector to push heat downwards entering the cook chamber and use cooking spray on exterior of firebox.

Last edited:
I've made many to mine (baffles, etc.) but the three I would suggest is the exhaust extension (elbow duct from HD), the charchoal basket and hight temp form a gasket around the inner lip of chamber lid. The elbow does take up some room in the chamber but can be turned sideway if necessary at times. Forget the gasket, it just exacerbates the leak. The form a gasket will better seal the leak just make sure you either grease or cover the chamber lid with celophane before you close it to let it set up. I keep my bacon grease and brush it on the firebox to keep down the rust (some).

Last edited:
One really nice thing about modifying The Oklahoma Joe's Highland is most mods are inexpensive. While the Unit itself has crept up in price approaching 500$ if going to spend that much I'd go to Academy and get an Old Country

While the Unit itself has crept up in price approaching 500$ if going to spend that much I'd go to Academy and get an Old Country

Agreed.

Mods I did was seal the fire box to cook chamber joint with gasket sealer during assembly and put some gasket tape on both doors.

Cut an insulated baking sheet to size and then drilled various size holes small-to-large in it to act as makeshift tuning plate. It was removable depending on my mood.

Also bought an $80 heavy duty welded fire basket off ebay which helped a bunch.

The cooker served me well until I got bit by the bug.

Back