Mini WSM + temp controller?

nickmv

Full Fledged Farker
Does anyone here have experience using an ATC on a Mini WSM?

I've got the standard Smokey Joe with the bottom vents, meaning I use the chicken can w/holes method to prevent ash clogs during cooks. Anyway, I've got a Fireboard 2 and both a Pit Viper as well as an old Auber 5cfm blower, so I started thinking about if I can mount it. But I have a huge concern -- ASH, and the consistency of the burn. I worry about ash kickup in such a small pit (even with the fan turned down a good bit), and I also worry about whether that'll cause the coals to burn unevenly from one side to the other.

My thoughts where to either drill a hole where an SJ Gold's vents would be w/ a WSM Guru adapter, or to use the Auber blower and take advantage of the existing bottom vent + chicken can ashblocker.

Does anyone have any personal experience with trying this combo out? Was it worth it? ATCs are awesome, but Mini WSMs are seemingly more awesome and like to hold temp pretty well.

I have an 18" WSM and a Party Q I use for overnight brisket cooks. My adapter is below the coal too. It has a directional plate on the inside. I have it aimed in the 2 o'clock position which creates a vortex air circulation and the coal burns even and steady. I cook everything at 275*F on the smoker. Not 274 & not 276. Rock steady temps. Never tried it on anything smaller than an 18. Let us know how it works if you decide to do it.

I have an 18" WSM and a Party Q I use for overnight brisket cooks. My adapter is below the coal too. It has a directional plate on the inside. I have it aimed in the 2 o'clock position which creates a vortex air circulation and the coal burns even and steady. I cook everything at 275*F on the smoker. Not 274 & not 276. Rock steady temps. Never tried it on anything smaller than an 18. Let us know how it works if you decide to do it.

I have a WSM 18 and have been thinking of a controller, haven't heard of doing this. Specifically, the directional plate, did you make this? Can you post a pic or describe it more? This probably helps with ash not blowing as much. Very good idea.

This is really specific to the Mini WSM and specific to concerns about ash.

I've used 18s and 22s without issue but the mini is a different beast because of its size. Other members in previous posts have expressed concern, but nobody followed up with results.

I too use the smokey joe/tamale pot smoker. Never had a problem controlling the temp. It will stay where I set it until it ashes up, about 7 hrs.

Yeah to be clear, I've got no issues controlling temps on the thing. I dont need it, I'm just geeking out on using some existing equipment I've already got.

/quote I too use the smokey joe/tamale pot smoker. Never had a problem controlling the temp. It will stay where I set it until it ashes up, about 7 hrs

Do you use a fire ring on yours or just fill up the base? I've made a ss fire ring about 3" tall, hog tied it to the grate. I get about 4 hours of 300 degree cook with a 45 minute warm up. I can't touch 7 hours. Sure would like to- I hate adding fuel- big clouds of bad smoke.

So I tried the Fireboard in Drive mode out and while it seemed like it could prob work fine to control things on the Mini, it became pretty apparent early on that it's just not worth it. It also became pretty apparent that it was going to be very hard to achieve under 250 and in general deal with the metal flap valve these blowers have. Perhaps a Pit Viper would be better suited by I have my doubts.

I swapped over and am holding 260 at the moment.

And I cant comment for the other guy, but I use expanded metal + rebar ties to form a basket about 3in tall. I need to replace the whole combo, the expanded metal is pretty damn rusted and the grate not far behind. Not bad for 2+ years of usage and being left out in Southern heat and humidity.

So you say you use SS for your basket? I've thought about trying to tack weld the sides to the grate this next time though I have practically zero welding experience -- just bought the Harbor Freight 125 Titanium flux recently.

Last edited:
I have a WSM 18 and have been thinking of a controller, haven't heard of doing this. Specifically, the directional plate, did you make this? Can you post a pic or describe it more? This probably helps with ash not blowing as much. Very good idea.

The adapter came with the directional plate. I don't think they make the Party Q anymore but the adapter is standard for their fan units on all their controllers.

t9vGMCD.jpg

A good pic of the adapter and the currently available controllers.

https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav/gurucookerguide?DeviceModelId=181&kitId=393

The smallest True WSM is the 14". I thought that's what you were referring to. Smokey Joe is another animal because of the vents used.

Yeah the Smokey Joe is def a diff beast.

So here's the crazy thing -- I woke up this morning and lo and behold my Mini WSM was still at 175F. I started the thing at 6pm -- thats just wild. There were still probably 8 solid briquettes left. The ash buildup was the main issue -- it was starting to pile up over the top of the chicken can.

Anyway, I think I'm just gonna stick with manual control on the mini, it's just too easy.

This is just NUTS -- I've been going for almost 14 hrs now and am climbing now that I re-organized the coals.

https://share.fireboard.io/725813

Yes, this IS a Mini WSM. I'm speechless with how long this thing has been going. I usually cut the vents or dump the coal after my cooks on this thing since it's portable and I take it with me --- have never tried a long long cook.

/quote I too use the smokey joe/tamale pot smoker. Never had a problem controlling the temp. It will stay where I set it until it ashes up, about 7 hrs

Do you use a fire ring on yours or just fill up the base? I've made a ss fire ring about 3" tall, hog tied it to the grate. I get about 4 hours of 300 degree cook with a 45 minute warm up. I can't touch 7 hours. Sure would like to- I hate adding fuel- big clouds of bad smoke.

I fill the base and run at 250-275.

Back