Mini reverseFlow

I'd guess that running it straight (teeny tiny) splits is out of the question. You'd need a teeny tiny fire which would give a teeny tiny coal bed which might cause issues keeping splits firing. I'd think running it like you did -charcoal with some flavoring wood -would make the most sense.

but give it a shot- won't know until you try, right?

Definitely going to get the lid sealed up to take that variable away. Then I will try a few different methods starting with the minion method. Want to learn the pit and get it dialed in before throwing meat at it.

All dressed up and ready to dance.

Just too cool- not sure how practical- but cool for certain.

fire it up!

Under normal conditions, not very practical at all. But they are sending me to Korea and I can’t take a whole lot with me. At least with this I can still bbq even if it is just enough for me. I do know I can and will fit a decent butt on there.

Anxiously awaiting tomorrow to fire this little bastard up. While waiting in anticipation I have thought of some things from my first test burn. I noticed it was harder to get this little guy up to temp than I expected. The top lid of the CC was leaky but it still seemed like it was struggling too much. I have since sealed the lid but not sure if it’s enough or if I have a different issue going on. I tried to run it the first time like a stick burner but on a scaled down version. Hot coals to start and instead of logs was adding fist size hickory chunks. Fire would not burn clean unless door was partially open. But when it’s open it almost “backdrafts” ( some flame and some smoke exiting the firebox the wrong way). I’m not expecting too much out of this little rig, but if all the calculations are correct on it then it should draft like a larger rig. Am I just overthinking this or is there something I’m missing? Any help is appreciated. I mentioned some of these things before and got a few replies. Im not disregarding that advice and I appreciate it,, mind is just racing.

Pig farmer:
Here are the pics you asked for. After more research and calculations I have come to the conclusion that my fb-cc opening is undersized, my stack is about 4 inches short, and it may help to put smaller intake hole at throat level on the door. I got most of this info from a reverse flow calculator online. Let me know if I’m headed in the right direction. My initial calculations for the stack came to 9 inches but only 5 inches are above the top of the CC. I was not aware that my entire 9 inches needed to be above the CC and anything below diesel really count. Is this correct? Thank you in advance and thanks to all who have chimes in.

Attachments

• 20D3B633-9816-4AD9-91EF-30F0CDBA2AD7.jpg
    20D3B633-9816-4AD9-91EF-30F0CDBA2AD7.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 4D0CBEA0-06C7-45CC-B5C4-5FC6CD825456.jpg
    4D0CBEA0-06C7-45CC-B5C4-5FC6CD825456.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 130
Biggest indicator I have noticed about this stubborn little bastard is that the FB gets scorching hot and the CC struggles to get over 150. That’s telling me the heat just can’t move along it’s intended pathe even though it’s less than 2 feet of travel from FB opening to the stack.

Based on the pictures it definitely looks like your FB to CC opening is way to small. With a few more measurements we can do the calculations and confirm

You may need more "headroom" in the fire box and more air before it can flow properly.
Do you leave to FB door open a bit to create more draft?

Yes I have left the door open slightly and still doesn’t draft properly. It actually backdrafts. I will be opening up the FB-cc opening tonight or tomorrow. I have room to work with in there to do it without cutting things apart. Between that and adding about 4-5 inches to my stack, it should clear up the draft problem. I rather not have to drop my fire basket if I don’t have to. The firebox is small and trying to leave as much room as possible underneath for ash and airflow.

This is basically what my opening is between FB and cc. Thinking it’s way too small even though it’s exactly what the calculator gave me.

Attachments

• F083CA31-C2DB-4DEF-ADA8-EB0F0E3014B4.jpg
    F083CA31-C2DB-4DEF-ADA8-EB0F0E3014B4.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 71
Cut the throat out. It’s about double the size it was and is the same size as the channel under the baffle. Extended the stack 5 inches and drilled two holes at throat level on the firebox door. She’s drafting good now and holding temps. Thanks to all for the help.

Attachments

• AFE973A1-F3B2-4423-8335-8EC0F80514ED.jpg
    AFE973A1-F3B2-4423-8335-8EC0F80514ED.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 6ADD43A5-6BD3-4A4E-B03F-74322EA12AAE.jpg
    6ADD43A5-6BD3-4A4E-B03F-74322EA12AAE.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 44
Back