Meat prices in GA

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Viet King Cong
Man, I miss the hell out of Texas.

The nearest Chicken Express is in Monroe, LA so I have to settle for the nationwide franchises and Bojangles'... which is just downright flavorless. But that is another topic.

I have been in and out of Walmart the past week buying home stuff since we're just breaking in the house. I have a nasty habit of perusing the meat section on every visit. I saw select grade brisket is $3.57 per POUND. Wally didn't have any of the better stuff. Why, that is more than Costco prime prices! Well, at least in Texas it is. I am used to $1.92 for Select.

Pork butts was listed as $2.59 per pound. I've only made pulled pork with the $1 pound guys and even then I think I over paid. At least the spare ribs are still under $2 a pound. That may be all I am smoking this summer.

This isn't Texas so get used to beef prices being a lot higher, you'll simply have to come to peace with that or go crazy :shock:. I get cheaper pork at restaurant depot or nam dae mun vs Walmart. Walmart has cheap stuff but meat isn't always the cheapest. Kroger, ingles, even publix has sales much better.

I'll bet you're missing HEB right now, huh? Welcome to the east coast and the high meat prices to which we've grown accustomed.

Restaurant Depot and become friends with the meat department at Publix, they are always giving me the heads up on what is coming on sale and I plan accordingly.

I would rather become vegan than eat most of what they call meat at wally world. I look occasionally and it usually disgusts me quality wise.

Another retailer trick here in the South East is to advertise butt at .99 cent a lb and conveniently not have any!:x

Louisiana is right next to Texas and our meat prices are similar to Georgia. Butt's run around $1.80/lb and you might occasionally find them for $0.99. I was in Walmart earlier this week and they had select brisket for $2.95. I go to Georgia quite a bit and as a general rule the Walmart prices in Ga. are better than here in La. and the infrastructure in Ga. is hands down better than La.

Meat prices in GA are not that bad. You just have to buy the stuff on sale. For example, Sprouts has beef rump roast on sale for $2.88 /lb. Nam Dae Mun has beef short rib on sale for $3.99 /lb. They also have pork spare ribs for $1.59 /lb, lamb whole shoulder for $2.99 /lb, and pork butt for $1.49 /lb. Publix has pork picnic for $1.19 /lb. And then you have Costco, Sam's, and Restaurant Depot with their everyday low prices. Costco Prime brisket is $3.49 /lb.

Walmart has the best price on lamb breast/ribs. I paid $2.72 /lb. You just have to learn the stores and chase weekly deals. All the stores like Publix, Sprouts, Kroger, Aldi, etc put out their new weekly flyers on their websites on Wednesday. The asian marts like Nam Dae Mun, Megamart, H-Mart, Assi, etc put their weekly flyers out on Friday. Georgia might not have Texas beef prices but it's pretty close.

It always killed me when I would see the Texas brethren post briskets at sub $2.00 prices, so, sorry that you have to feel it now, as well.

It always killed me when I would see the Texas brethren post briskets at sub $2.00 prices, so, sorry that you have to feel it now, as well.

I know the feels Brother. I have to drive 2 hours to Restaurant Depot just so I can pay $3.20/Lb for CAB Choice briskets. I can only get brisket flats at Sam's and Costco.

Bandit figured it out. Get yourself a Trans Am and start making runs.

I'm happy just to find packer briskets. They're starting to show up in my local Kroger so maybe I can start worrying about the price.

I had never heard of Nam Dae Mun but looks like there's one fairly close to me. Worth checking out over Dekalb Farmer's Market?

You can check at the UGA Meat Sciences Technology store for the best prices and locally raised beef and pork. Store is only open on Fridays. I’ve purchased whole hogs for the last couple of years for our family reunion bbq and price was $1.15 per pound and they get are usually 115-125 lb pigs. They have a Facebook page also. Check them out. Thx Dwheat

I'm happy just to find packer briskets. They're starting to show up in my local Kroger so maybe I can start worrying about the price.

I had never heard of Nam Dae Mun but looks like there's one fairly close to me. Worth checking out over Dekalb Farmer's Market?

I have been to both. The prices at Nam Dae Mun might be a tad better, but then the quality of the Dekalb Market may edge it out. Big help I am :doh:

I haven't been to Dekalb Farmer's Market since the late 80s/ early 90s so I can't compare. But I've been to Nam Dae Mun in Duluth and also in Smyrna and I'm a fan. It's best to ask and buy the vacuum packed whole primal cuts instead of the trimmed Styrofoam packages. The freshness quality of the smaller Styrofoam packages are suspect. You have to read the country of origin label very carefully as they also sell Mexican beef and other questionable sourced meat products along with USDA stuff. You can't trust them to sell you quality like reputable stores like Costco, Publix, or Sprouts.

Nam Dae Mun has great variety of meats you can't easily find in reputable stores and the prices are generally good. And I like the food court at the Duluth location. Korean beef rib soup for $7 is good value.

Back