I've moved full circle though the evoloution of smokers.

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
30+ some years ago I started smoking with a generic offset stick-burner, a few years after, I purchased a Meadow Creek Offset Stick-burner.

As I began to feel my age, I tried several options including a LP Smoker. While the 24" Camp-Chef was well made, it just couldn't impart the good smoke flavor I desired. However, it did make a great holding oven for large gatherings.

In 2010 I went to a Humphrey's Vertical Charcoal Smoker, the "Down East Beast". While I am still elated with performance and capacity of this smoker, age again prevents me from getting up in the wee hours and adding fuel or water. Still a great smoker which I will use in warm weather. I will say that the Thermoworks Signals has made it easy to monitor the Down East Beast without going up / down the back steps as much.

Fast forward to today at age 71, my knees are not as flexible as they used to be. During a fall visit to LA, I bought my Daughter a Pit Boss vertical smoker, which I used and showed her how to use it.

Although I detested the idea of a pellet smoker, her work and school schedule was just too prohibitive of a stick or charcoal smoker. The Pit Boss was affordable and if she didn't use it much, I could live with that fact. When using my Daughter's Pit Boss in LA, I was impressed with the quality of it's cooking ability. The connect-ability and remote monitoring and control was clearly a bonus for ease of operation.

I looked at a Yoder pellet smoker, but the size and cost was just too prohibitive for just a couple years of use. Long story short, I purchased a Pit Boss Vertical for at home use.

While I am still learning, there is a trade off between convenience and and labors. I am mostly happy with the results, but I haven't completely abandoned the Down East Beast yet.

Still trying different brands of manufactured pellets, and methods; this old codger does not have to give up BBQ, cold smoking, curing, or sausage making just yet due to the ease of use.

I'm always trying new pellets. My Pit Boss Austin XL performs admirably. I've not had a single pellet related failure. It's augered and burned every brand and flavor I've poured into the hopper. The convenience of pellets and light/clean smoke is a trade-off of bolder smoke flavor. Probably the most popular pellets mentioned are Lumberjack. They're on sale locally for $7.97 for 20# bag. May or may not. Pit Boss cookers are quite good at their designed limits. 5 year warranty is nice. I paid $249 for my Austin. It'll be two in June. I think 5 years would be fantastic at that price.

Keep circling, you've got many laps to go

Use to have a Meadowcreek Stick burner but cant do the nights. Now just use my Large BGE which works well. Use my gasser for quick cooks and now have a Blackstone Griddle which I am still learning

My little brother has a BGE large. His one and only cooker. Everything he cooks on that thing looks awesome. I think most of us could summon up perfectly edible foods with one cooker, just don't want too, yet. But the time is approaching

My little brother has a BGE large. His one and only cooker. Everything he cooks on that thing looks awesome. I think most of us could summon up perfectly edible foods with one cooker, just don't want too, yet. But the time is approaching

And out of your current lineup, that one cooker will be…?

#inquiringminds

While younger than you :cool:, I've been using a pellet smoker for close to 10 years now due to not wanting to get up in the middle of the night to tend a fire. It's the lazy part of me that drove the move to a pellet smoker. While the pellet smoker does tend to give a lighter smoke taste, I personally prefer that to the smoke flavor profile I was getting from the stick burners I've used in the past even though they both produce that wonderful thin blue smoke.

I think pellet smokers have their place, a skilled barbecue aficionado can leverage the tools at their disposal to make something good. I miss mine sometimes, but I'm fine not having one as well because I do have several other options, albeit slightly less convenient.

I think the longest cook I've ever done was around 12hrs. If I'm burning sticks it's going to be on a day off work and I get started early. No way am I staying up all night tending a fire. Also, I do love my Pit Boss. It's not the same animal as the vertical but it doesn't have to be either. Smoke profile aside, the convenience is sweet and it always provides good grub.

Looks like I get to use this meme twice in one day!

I keep threatening to build or buy an offset but then I’m like naaaa. I’m pleased with the food, it draws a crowd, and all I have to do is punch a button and put the food in the magic box? I’m good…

Give Lumber Jack competition blend a shot and see what ya think.

I hear what you're saying. Loud and clear. But I'm not quite ready to give in just yet.

But I do use my WSM a lot more than I do my stick burner these days.

As mentioned, I have found that the smoke flavor may not be as strong, but it's better than not having any smoke flavor at all.

I also noticed that heat convection isn't as efficient as the Down East Beast, so I'm going to experiment with using a welding blanket. 3 room temperature pork butts in the Pit Boss for 8 hours and the internal temperature just under 130 degrees.

But like anything else, time presents a new learning curve. I'm not disappointed in any manner. In fact I love the ability to see and control the unit with an easy GUI (Graphic User Interface), easy peasy for sure. I can control it from the house, from the store, even from the VFW with instantaneous results.

It's a new adventure for me, and everytime I learn something new. Thanks for all the pointers and suggestions; Lumberjack is definitely in the works for my weekend cook.

Five bucks sale at a lot of Walmart. Blend of Hickory & Charcoal pellets
Good stuff
Find reviews and a Lincoln

Last edited:
I believe Humphreys had an option where they would add a Pellet feed to their cookers.
I don't know if they still offer it but it might be worth a call as you already have a Downeast Beast.

I believe Humphreys had an option where they would add a Pellet feed to their cookers.
I don't know if they still offer it but it might be worth a call as you already have a Downeast Beast.

I have not seen Humphrey’s have that option (they might though),but I know Ironside smokers had/has that option.

I’ll just say that having gone through 11 pellet grills and trying many brands of pellets, all pellet grills are not the same and all pellets are not the same. My pellet grill gets the most use because it’s easy and consistent. If I still had a cookie cutter pellet grilll (solid drip tray, side exhaust, mediocre fan logic controller) the WSCG or KBQ would see a lot more use. The ease outweighs the minimal flavor gains over the MAK (or SmokeFire or potentially Yoder, LSG, and few others).

Back