I've moved full circle though the evoloution of smokers.

Thanks for sharing IamMadMan.

Good to know your happy with the PitBoss Vertical. They'be been on the market here for about 2 years and I was really dubious about the quality and the output. They are quite affordable here as well, when so many other options are not. Might move into one of these at some time. Happy with my WSM, but I won't have it forever and a WSM here costs a lot more.

Cheers

Bill

I believe Humphreys had an option where they would add a Pellet feed to their cookers.
I don't know if they still offer it but it might be worth a call as you already have a Downeast Beast.

Thanks, I'll give them a ring tomorrow on my day off. I have the first Down East they made, hopefully the design hasn't changed in the past 22 years.

Bill,

It started when I was visiting my daughter in LA last fall. I had to bring a suitcase full of frozen smoked meats with me because she misses the BBQ from home. They flagged the suitcase for the weight and said I had to remove some items. When when I explained I was taking the frozen food to my daughter she said "maybe the scale has malfunctioned" and pushed it through.

My daughter works full time and goes to nursing school to finish her accreditation/degree. She just doesn't have the time to manage a smoker. I saw the unit on sale for $499.00 with a cover and a bag of pellets. With my Military/Veterans discount it was only $450.00.

I used it several times while I was there in LA, worked fine with small to medium loads, of chicken and ribs; the smoke flavor was good. She uses it a couple times a month when it isn't raining, so to me it was a successful purchase. It simply fills the void and produces an enjoyable meal for them that reminds them of home. I also sent her two cases of Oakridge Rubs before the final days, so she is taken care of for a while.

Bottom line is; in the past, I had to forego smoking food when my legs and knees just wouldn't cooperate for set-up, prep, and cooking.

Now I prep the meat in the house, put it in the smoker with a drip pan to catch the juices, and simply push a button. The rest is done from my phone or tablet. I am now enjoying smoked meats again, so to me it is worth the small investment. I can continue smoking, I enjoy the food, and share it with friends, even when my age tries to prevents it.

I did try to cook four pork butts in it this weekend, and had a slight problem getting meat temperatures up at the beginning. In defense of the smoker it was a really cold night, and I will experiment more with volume in the smoker.

I chose the vertical because I like to cold smoke cheese, meat, and sausage. I'll still use the A-Maze-N pellet tray in the Pit Boss for cold smoking without heat.

Thanks for sharing IamMadMan.

Good to know your happy with the PitBoss Vertical. They'be been on the market here for about 2 years and I was really dubious about the quality and the output. They are quite affordable here as well, when so many other options are not. Might move into one of these at some time. Happy with my WSM, but I won't have it forever and a WSM here costs a lot more.

Cheers

Bill

Something else to consider with the Down East Beast is to get a BBQ Guru controller. Been using mine for several years now and love it (I think the version I have is now discontinued but there are newer ones available). Basically adds remote temp reading and control (it controls the air flow into the smoker using a fan assuming you have a ball valve air vent).

Then it is as simple as looking at your phone/tablet/pc to check and change the temps (as long as there is still charcoal/wood left). I know in my battlebox with the charcoal snake inserts I can get about 8-12 hours at 225 - 250 without needing to physically check on it (so lets me sleep at night assuming I don't need to do any spritzing/basting). After about 8 hours or so I will need to add some more charcoal to the bin because it will have burned through most in that timeframe and the temps will start dropping due to lack of fuel (you can tell on the BBQ Guru by seeing that the fan has steadily cranked up to 100%).

Last edited:
I chose the vertical because I like to cold smoke cheese, meat, and sausage. I'll still use the A-Maze-N pellet tray in the Pit Boss for cold smoking without heat.

Ding ding. There's my answer. If I can do that too, it will be worth it just for that.

Of course, my personal circumstances are changing soon so it might be a while before I can sort this one out. I had been thinking about a smaller Bradley unit too, but seems the Pit Boss Vertical is a better choice.

Cheers!

Bill

Thanks, I'll give them a ring tomorrow on my day off. I have the first Down East they made, hopefully the design hasn't changed in the past 22 years.

After I posted, l got curious if they still offered it as I thought it would be a good option for my Spicewine.

I called and they said They no longer offer it.

I would still call them. Maybe they can work something out for you.

Thanks...

I have the BBQ Guru Digi-Q II which controls the pit, I've been very happy with it. It controls the airflow but I cannot change it remotely.

I also use the Thermoworks Signals for remote monitoring, which could support remote settings of their fan. I really like the ease of use and the graph at a glance features.

My goal with the Pit Boss was to watch the pit without having to go outside and add fuel if needed. This is something someone with good knees just doesn't think about on cold and damp nights.

Something else to consider with the Down East Beast is to get a BBQ Guru controller. Been using mine for several years now and love it (I think the version I have is now discontinued but there are newer ones available). Basically adds remote temp reading and control (it controls the air flow into the smoker using a fan assuming you have a ball valve air vent).

Then it is as simple as looking at your phone/tablet/pc to check and change the temps (as long as there is still charcoal/wood left). I know in my battlebox with the charcoal snake inserts I can get about 8-12 hours at 225 - 250 without needing to physically check on it (so lets me sleep at night assuming I don't need to do any spritzing/basting). After about 8 hours or so I will need to add some more charcoal to the bin because it will have burned through most in that timeframe and the temps will start dropping due to lack of fuel (you can tell on the BBQ Guru by seeing that the fan has steadily cranked up to 100%).

I believe I will always have a pellet pooper in my lineup, but I also believe I will always have a Weber kettle and a smoke house also. (Disclaimer, I am without a smoke house but correcting that - I do have a small smoker to barely get by)

I started with a small electric (cookshack SM008, moved to a large pellet pooper (FEC-100) and then added a stick-burner (Klose BYC). I've kept, use, and enjoy them all.

That said, I'm always a little surprised electric smokers don't get more love here. Electric doesn't have the smoke limitations of pellet (4oz of wood at the start of the cook will get you more than enough smoke flavor, do 5+oz if you really want to oversmoke your smoke taste buds). No bags of pellets to store (a 5lb bag of wood chunks are easy to store and last 20+ cooks) and no moving parts to break. Plus, the electric is small enough to easily store, throw in the back of a truck...

I guess some say electric is too much like an oven (take out the wood "bin" and, it basically is an oven) but, I can put out some really good Q on it with even less effort than the pellet pooper. And, if I just want to smoke a ribeye for an hour before throwing it on the grill, the electric gets the nod.

Just throwing my experience with different types of smokers as anyone with space limitations might want to consider electric...

Oh, and for anyone still staying up all night tending a stick burner; This site has shown me the "short and fast" light of smoking at ~300F. Example: "BluDawg KISS brisket" in ~6 hours is fantastic. 8am start = afternoon brisket! Sleep is good...

Now I'm hungry :)

I started with a small electric (cookshack SM008, moved to a large pellet pooper (FEC-100) and then added a stick-burner (Klose BYC). I've kept, use, and enjoy them all.

That said, I'm always a little surprised electric smokers don't get more love here. Electric doesn't have the smoke limitations of pellet (4oz of wood at the start of the cook will get you more than enough smoke flavor, do 5+oz if you really want to oversmoke your smoke taste buds). No bags of pellets to store (a 5lb bag of wood chunks are easy to store and last 20+ cooks) and no moving parts to break. Plus, the electric is small enough to easily store, throw in the back of a truck...

I guess some say electric is too much like an oven (take out the wood "bin" and, it basically is an oven) but, I can put out some really good Q on it with even less effort than the pellet pooper. And, if I just want to smoke a ribeye for an hour before throwing it on the grill, the electric gets the nod.

Just throwing my experience with different types of smokers as anyone with space limitations might want to consider electric...

Oh, and for anyone still staying up all night tending a stick burner; This site has shown me the "short and fast" light of smoking at ~300F. Example: "BluDawg KISS brisket" in ~6 hours is fantastic. 8am start = afternoon brisket! Sleep is good...

Now I'm hungry :)

Do you tend to enjoy the end result from your electric more than pellet cooker?

Do you tend to enjoy the end result from your electric more than pellet cooker?

Good question!

I actually really like the results I get from all of my smokers but the results are slightly different.

The electric has the advantage of being able to do more smoke flavor (compared to pellets) and it seems to have a more moist cooking environment. You still get bark but the meat has less a chance to dry out.

My pellet has much more capacity but the smoke flavor is usually a bit mild for my taste. I've had limited success with adding more smoke flavor using things like AmaZing tube, different kinds of pellets... Still, the results are very good.

And, I like the process and finished product of the stick burner better than the electric or pellet but, it does take quite a bit more work and wood storage. The hands-on work is more satisfying (and fun) than the "set it and forget it" electric or pellet approach so, when I have the time, I fire it up.

Last edited:
So what I'm hearing is pellet means not having to get up at night.

I don't get up at night, and I don't use a pellet smoker, or indeed any smoker with any kind of electronic control system at all. I made my own horizontal offset smoker. At the bottom back edge of the firebox I drilled a hole with a little bolt pattern around it, and bolted in a homemade propane forge burner. Mine is made from 1/2" pipe.

The current propane forge burner designs are very efficient and very stable. I can easily run my burner for 18 hours on one BBQ bottle of propane (20 lb tank). To cook a brisket, I start it in the evening and feed hardwood into the firebox, where the propane flame makes it burn nicely. I get the meat 3 or 4 good hours of smoke and then I just go to bed and let the propane keep the temperature right all night long. I believe that after the first 3 or 4 hours the meat can't absorb much more smoke flavor anyway.

The guy who came up with this concept calls it "Lazy-Q".

I'm here to tell ya, I get great smoke rings and wonderful smoked brisket flavor.

No pellets involved, no batteries needed.

seattlepitboss

Thanks...

I have the BBQ Guru Digi-Q II which controls the pit, I've been very happy with it. It controls the airflow but I cannot change it remotely.

I also use the Thermoworks Signals for remote monitoring, which could support remote settings of their fan. I really like the ease of use and the graph at a glance features.

My goal with the Pit Boss was to watch the pit without having to go outside and add fuel if needed. This is something someone with good knees just doesn't think about on cold and damp nights.

Yeah the version I have is the CyberQ BBQ Guru. It had full remote temperature control (depending on how you set it up). It's a little finicky to setup if you don't have the right network gear and compatible systems (the ad-hoc network mode it is in out of the box played havoc for many people). It isn't something I would recommend someone who isn't a computer/network guy to deal with (I'm a Unix/Linux system administrator and developer, so no big issue for me, but I can see how someone without that knowledge would be completely lost).

Anyway, I would assume there are newer models now that have the same control functionality that are more friendly to setup. The UltraQ seems to be the most like the CyberQ (with added benefits of a bluetooth connection and integrated apps for iOS/Android). The CyberQ basically ran a lightweight website that you could browse to (again, assuming you knew how to set things up on your network, you could reach it from anywhere in the world if you exposed it with a proper network firewall and access controls).

Pellet grills are great for us older dudes, its just me and the misses at home now and it works out great for us.

I went from this to this.
4a52d3c9d297a1af652daf2bc466d6e1.jpg
825e0d32c70bd3b1cf588360db6b1789.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Madman, I think you made a good decision. I had a vertical Pitboss several years ago before the electronics failed and I tried to "fix" it with a new board (I am not a good repairman). It was my favorite pellet cooker! The idea to me is that because the smoke HAS to go past all of the meat to escape, it is better than an offset style pellet grill because the air goes around and out (that might be made up in my head too?). Anyway the flavor was always great.

Back