Mayo over chicken

Thoey, flip your chicken and or chicken parts skin side down the second half of the cook....high heat as you can get. I know the water pan blocks most of the direct heat but i bet it'll turn out even better like that in the WSM.

FWI, thanks for the suggestion. Would you still do that without the water pan? This last time was the only decent chicken I have smoked and the main difference was removing the water pan and using direct heat.

As I have stated may times here Crispy Skin( Chicken bacon) needs high heat. Basically Grilled or Smoke roasted( BBQed )325+. Mayornaise will not give you "Crispy" skin cooking indirect but it will give you tender bite through skin.

FWI, thanks for the suggestion. Would you still do that without the water pan? This last time was the only decent chicken I have smoked and the main difference was removing the water pan and using direct heat.

I'll tell you what i would do for chicken (and other cooks also) but especially chicken. Cook the chicken skin side up maybe half to 3/4 of the way done then flip it skin side down w/out the water pan in the way.

Instead of pulling the water pan mid way through the cook i'd try going with out it all together. Another way would be to replace the water pan with something like this because you'll still get direct heat but the chicken won't get scorched.

I'm sure some have replaced the water pan with diffuser but haven't seen any pictures. It wouldn't be hard to get something to fit would it?

Back