Making Some Side Cash

Kev, I am sorry, again, that you find what I have said to be so offensive. To be clear, I never said he will get sued/loose everything/die from the plague, all I pointed out is that a few of use who had/have business in the food industry feel a little perturbed when folks don't play by the rules that we play by.

In fact, I would fall on the side of believing that a person doing this is almost 100% not going to get into trouble of any kind. I've been a business entrepreneur for 35 years now, life has treated me well. And to be honest, I have not always played by the rules. So be it. Just putting another point of view out there.

Here in Alabama I think nearly every High School Football and Baseball team has a pork butt fund raiser. They usually presell the butts for 35.00 each. Money goes to the sports Alumni club. That way the club can funnel money to the sports program for items that are really needed but the red tape of the school system creates chaos on. New bleachers, helmets, travel expenses, etc.... I have never noticed a Health Inspector permit being displayed. They are heavily advertised. Either they are breaking the law and nobody cares, or they have all the permits etc... maybe they just dont display them.

I will say, that if a weekend cook, who occasionally cooks some butts for someone, takes enough business away from a "legitimate" business, that it has a real financial impact, then I believe the business already has enough trouble that it will not be here long anyway. Not saying it is right or wrong, just saying that if that one guy can close you down, then odds are your business is lousy anyway.

I dont really have a dog in this fight, other than I do buy the school butts. I would feel a little weird telling them I cant buy their butts because Big Bob Gibsons right down the road sells butts and legally I have to buy them all from them. I understand your school program may suffer from this, but the law is the law. I do think Big Bob Gibsons has been around for a long time. Actually they started in 1925 selling meat from the back yard.
This is really a vague area of the code. I have, for the past 40 years, been involved with charity cooks for churches and non-profts. The requirements have changed slowly, with the general trend to more regulation (I know, shocking). My current understanding is that most of these cooks are illegal to the letter of the law, but, are ignored, as they are seen as generally in the public interest. Our church has been shut down twice, and threatened with closure once, over our old Chicken Teriyaki fundraiser. We never did find out who was the complainant.

Many of the schools out here have abandoned the cook-out type fundraiser and instead work with local restaurants to do "school night" type fundraisers.

:clap::clap2: And on this note I guess I will just bow out of this thread and actually regret starting :doh:. I should have known it would get completely blown out of proportion like most things. I'll just go back to my beer, mind my own business and let the paranoid group carry on.

Ah cool.

Let's be honest here shall we cseymour45..............With 3 pages this quick and you resisting all those suggestions with new questions (which about 95% say don't do it) your mind was made up before it even started :thumb:.

You didn't hear what you wanted over and over again, so you use the argument that it is getting "blown out of proportion" and time for you to leave because the disagreeing masses told you what you didn't want to hear even for a second :clap2:. So it's the masses fault and not yours..........got it :thumb:

Your scapegoat is you haven't heard any horror stories on this thread yet. So sell away! :becky:

Edit: And proudly share your margins with the licensed restaurant owners/caterers on here. They love that stuff :-D

How much did that cup of coffee cost McNasty back in the day?

For the record church kitchens selling food are licenced here. 501(3)(c) non profits are exempt from the rules.

Making arrangement to cook in a licensed facility is perfectly legal. Church, VFW, elks club, soup kitchen, etc... Most ins. Company's will underwrite any of the aforementioned location policy for said activities.

Cheers

Ah cool.

Let's be honest here shall we cseymour45..............With 3 pages this quick and you resisting all those suggestions with new questions (which about 95% say don't do it) your mind was made up before it even started :thumb:.

You didn't hear what you wanted over and over again, so you use the argument that it is getting "blown out of proportion" and time for you to leave because the disagreeing masses told you what you didn't want to hear even for a second :clap2:. So it's the masses fault and not yours..........got it :thumb:

Your scapegoat is you haven't heard any horror stories on this thread yet. So sell away! :becky:

Edit: And proudly share your margins with the licensed restaurant owners/caterers on here. They love that stuff :-D

No it really wasn't, until the IRS comments started. But now it is.

Not a scapegoat, just the truth.:thumb: Someone got a little angry :chillpill:

Someone got a little angry :chillpill:

Yes that was you :becky:. Glad you pointed it out for us with you post about turning and leaving stomping your feet because you got "mistreated" and didn't hear what you wanted to hear :clap:.

But I guess you are definitely done now, your know..........coming back after you said you were out..............:-D

Nothing to do with Q, I was in business since 1986. one of the good ones was, there
was a car wreck, a picture taken showed my dump truck in the background, I was called by someones lawyer trying to blame me for distracting the driver, long story short if I wouldn't have had insurance against frivolous law suits it would have cost me 10 grand, thats what the $ was before it was dropped.

Considering I was 60 feet off the road paving a parking lot, minding my own business.

Hope it never happens to him, but if it does, be ready, it won't be fun.

Yes that was you :becky:. Glad you pointed it out for us with you post about turning and leaving stomping your feet because you got "mistreated" and didn't hear what you wanted to hear :clap:.

But I guess you are definitely done now, your know..........coming back after you said you were out..............:-D

Ha! Sorry fnbish, I missed the rule that you have to declare yourself back. Apologies! I am glad this has turned into a blast cseymour45 by you and has nothing to do with Q. I never heard stomping feet, surprised they carried clear the GA, I don't recall claiming I was mistreated. I just had not interest in debating the pros and cons, apparently you measured it was already at 95% cons.

No it really wasn't, until the IRS comments started. But now it is.

Not a scapegoat, just the truth.:thumb: Someone got a little angry :chillpill:

So, in your opinion, who got mad? I mean, besides you (obviously).

And it wasn't comments. It was a fact. If you don't want to believe what the IRS considers income, than so be it.

Ha! Sorry fnbish, I missed the rule that you have to declare yourself back. Apologies! I am glad this has turned into a blast cseymour45 by you and has nothing to do with Q. I never heard stomping feet, surprised they carried clear the GA, I don't recall claiming I was mistreated. I just had not interest in debating the pros and cons, apparently you measured it was already at 95% cons.

Just pointing out that you verbally said you were done when the other kids weren't playing the way you wanted to play. You could have continued a civilized discussion about the topic you chose, but instead you did a "I'm out mic drop" kind of deal which to me sounded like you were a little fussy.

I wish you well and hope you don't get into any trouble. Perhaps you'll be able to take criticism better in the future when others don't share your opinion that you asked for. And maybe don't call all those others a "paranoid group" as you walk away not wanting to play anymore because they didn't play nice.

-Jason

I hope you learned your lesson and drive less distracting dump trucks now

Yes I did I sold the business, and left that lousy state.

And it wasn't comments. It was a fact. If you don't want to believe what the IRS considers income, than so be it.

Love your sig line, how true, how true.

Ok, back to the one sided debate.

Mod note:

Before this gets out of control, let's all take a step back and relax. Folks are free to ask whatever question they like, but folks are also free to express their opinion when answering that question. That means that you won't always like the answer that you get :-D

No, I really haven't been mad at all. When was it so obvious, if I may ask? Did I throw up some mad icons?
Anyway, I really don't care about the IRS involvement in any of this, I am not opening a 'business', period.
If you think every individual in this country goes around reporting every extra couple of hundred dollars they get you are sadly mistaken. The IRS wouldn't even waste a single second stressing over me and my measly few ribs I cook for my buddy down the street.
I understand all of your concerns over food safety, that is probably the most important consideration in all of this. Not the glamorous extra beer drinking money.
I can't help it if my Q is better than anything in my neighborhood, we don't have a Franklins on every street, people want quality stuff without having to drive long distances and not everyone has a smoker. So, i'm sorry I don't work for wooden nickels, but I will help a brother out from time to time and a nice discounted rate. I was just curious how many of you have had bad experiences, and from the replies not many.

Ok, back to the one sided debate.

I'd actually like to see it get back on track. Even if some folks leave. Maybe some that have done it successfully and made a lot of money could share or they found loopholes that made it legit. Not everyone has seen this yet so there could be horror stories, though getting sued is likely not going to be shared.

This is really a vague area of the code. I have, for the past 40 years, been involved with charity cooks for churches and non-profts. The requirements have changed slowly, with the general trend to more regulation (I know, shocking). My current understanding is that most of these cooks are illegal to the letter of the law, but, are ignored, as they are seen as generally in the public interest. Our church has been shut down twice, and threatened with closure once, over our old Chicken Teriyaki fundraiser. We never did find out who was the complainant.

Many of the schools out here have abandoned the cook-out type fundraiser and instead work with local restaurants to do "school night" type fundraisers.

I'm not a lawyer and I'm not quoting the law, but I was told that many of the schools and churches have been changing their "bake sales" to be "bake donations" where you "donate" a specific amount you will "receive" a prize/thank you award. That award/prize just happens to be food. This allows them to skirt some of the issues of selling food because it is no longer technically being sold.

I'm not a lawyer and I'm not quoting the law, but I was told that many of the schools and churches have been changing their "bake sales" to be "bake donations" where you "donate" a specific amount you will "receive" a prize/thank you award. That award/prize just happens to be food. This allows them to skirt some of the issues of selling food because it is no longer technically being sold.

When I asked this question I was told told something different. My insurance agent said that any food that you cook that you are responsible for said food regardless of selling or giving it away. I don't know about other states...

That being said I do see all bake sales around here are "donations". Never really thought much about it until I read your post. There has to be something to it or they would still be bake sales, right???

I'd actually like to see it get back on track. Even if some folks leave. Maybe some that have done it successfully and made a lot of money could share or they found loopholes that made it legit. Not everyone has seen this yet so there could be horror stories, though getting sued is likely not going to be shared.

From what I have researched the only way to become 'legit' is to open an actual trailer. Which really wouldn't be that hard, but you would need probably a solid 4 - 6 grand, maybe more. Because all of us Q guys don't fall into the Cottage Food laws, we have items that are potentially hazardous. Even though I trust my Q over some of the restaurants I've entered.
I just haven't gotten any stories like I thought I might about the average Joe that's only doing a few racks of ribs and a couple butts. Which makes me feel good. I didn't think about pissing of restaurant owners because there aren't really any around me that do what i'm talking about.

Back