Teach an old dog new tricks - butcher paper + timing

eggzlot

Take a breath!
Hey everyone - long time smoker and used to be fairly active on these forums during my comp days but those are behind me. Anyways I still do my fair share of backyard cooking but I got a big dinner coming up Saturday and could use some advice:

I am cooking a 19lb SRF Wayu Gold Grade Brisket + Spare ribs (4 racks probably) and grilling some salmon on the gasser. I have 10 guests coming over and we are doing this as a 3 course meal, just to make it harder on me of course! I was thinking of starting the first dinner course (salmon) at ~6:30ish. no rhyme or reason on the time course 2 or 3 (ribs and brisket) need to be served

I own an XL BGE but I can borrow a neighbor's WSM plus I have 3 indoor ovens and a gas grill. So I am thinking of starting the brisket around 11pm. I think its too difficult to assume the brisket will be done, and rest it long enough, so I can cook spares for 5-6 hours plus I likely want to hold the spares a bit while I am with my guests enjoying the Salmon and all. So I can move the brisket into the WSM to finish and do the ribs on my egg which is my thought as of now, unless I move the brisket into an oven inside to finish off while doing the ribs outside.

How long can one hold spares in a faux cambro or in a real cambro (I have access to both). I know the brisket can likely go 4-6 hours in a hold but what about spares?

I have never used butcher paper before but everyone raves about it, so again to complicate things more because I enjoy doing that to myself, I got a 24''x500' roll of it. I assume you wrap the brisket and ribs with the BP instead of foil at the same time I would have used the foil. When it comes to holding, you can hold it in the cambro in the paper? I've seen photos and the paper looks wet, so do you change out the paper before you hold or keep the wet/grease paper in place?

I guess I am back in the madness....

Here's a good article on holding spares:

https://bbqhost.com/how-to-keep-ribs-warm/#:~:text=What%20is%20this%3F,-Report%20Ad&text=You%20can%20leave%20the%20ribs,hot%20and%20fresh%20as%20before.

It says:

"You can leave the ribs in the faux Cambro for 3 to 4 hours. After that, the temperature will start to drop off. The ribs should stay warm for at least 2 hours after that, but they won’t be as hot and fresh as before."

Another option is the oven if it's not being used. The warm setting may be low enough to not cook them further.

Keep the spares in the same butcher paper.

I have done a lot of things similar to this and although I have had smoker space to do brisket and ribs ill share what I would do

Run smoker at 275-300 and put brisket on 7am. It will be ready to wrap by noon and move to oven at 275 until done. When done wrap in towel and place in cooler or microwave. This will give you plenty of rest.

Keep smoker at 275-300 and ribs will be done in 4 hours. Plan to pull ribs around 5-5:30. Wrap ribs and place them in cooler to hold.

Add charcoal if needed to grill and jack up temp to 450-500. Put salmon on 6-6:10 and pull when done and let rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done a lot of things similar to this and although I have had smoker space to do brisket and ribs ill share what I would do

Run smoker at 275-300 and put brisket on 7am. It will be ready to wrap by noon and move to oven at 275 until done. When done wrap in towel and place in cooler or microwave. This will give you plenty of rest.

Keep smoker at 275-300 and ribs will be done in 4 hours. Plan to pull ribs around 5-5:30. Wrap ribs and place them in cooler to hold.

Add charcoal if needed to grill and jack up temp to 450-500. Put salmon on 6-6:10 and pull when done and let rest

Thanks - though not sure a 19lb brisket will finish in 12 hours given your time line above?

I wound up borrowing my neighbors WSM so I can keep the cooking outside, so I'll just use a second smoker. I know how ribs cook in my egg, so once I need the Egg for the Ribs I'll move the Brisket over to the WSM while its covered/foiled and use the Egg for the Ribs.

You can hold brisket longer than that. 10+ hours.

I guess it is possible and maybe it is just mental but I've done a few at 6-8 hours or so and I feel like it wasnt my best brisket - could have been slightly overdone, could have just been a tougher piece of meat so it is hard to tell for sure but I'd rather not test that theory on 19 lbs of Waygu

Here's a good article on holding spares:

https://bbqhost.com/how-to-keep-ribs-warm/#:~:text=What%20is%20this%3F,-Report%20Ad&text=You%20can%20leave%20the%20ribs,hot%20and%20fresh%20as%20before.

It says:

"You can leave the ribs in the faux Cambro for 3 to 4 hours. After that, the temperature will start to drop off. The ribs should stay warm for at least 2 hours after that, but they won’t be as hot and fresh as before."

Another option is the oven if it's not being used. The warm setting may be low enough to not cook them further.

Keep the spares in the same butcher paper.
This is very helpful thanks!

I guess it is possible and maybe it is just mental but I've done a few at 6-8 hours or so and I feel like it wasnt my best brisket - could have been slightly overdone, could have just been a tougher piece of meat so it is hard to tell for sure but I'd rather not test that theory on 19 lbs of Waygu

I read that Waygu fat breaks down at lower temps then choice or prime. I don't think i would do the normal 205F. I think 190-195F with a 10 hour hold would turn out really good. Maybe some others that have done Waygu will chime in on this.

I read that Waygu fat breaks down at lower temps then choice or prime. I don't think i would do the normal 205F. I think 190-195F with a 10 hour hold would turn out really good. Maybe some others that have done Waygu will chime in on this.

I've probably cooked a dozen or so Waygu briskets during my old competition days. But never held them for more than 2-3 hours. I know its "done when its done" and its still the same feel test as a prime/choice

I've probably cooked a dozen or so Waygu briskets during my old competition days. But never held them for more than 2-3 hours. I know its "done when its done" and its still the same feel test as a prime/choice

Yeah I guess testing by feel works just as good as temp probe if your good at it. Either way, all that fat providing its not cooked completely out, will turn out amazing results if held above 140F for 10-12 hours. Ive held prime briskets 12 hours at 140F once they hit 185F ( i held it at 185F for 3-4 hours ) before holding at 140F.

You obviously know what your doing so i'll bow out.
Good luck.

Thanks - though not sure a 19lb brisket will finish in 12 hours given your time line above?

I wound up borrowing my neighbors WSM so I can keep the cooking outside, so I'll just use a second smoker. I know how ribs cook in my egg, so once I need the Egg for the Ribs I'll move the Brisket over to the WSM while its covered/foiled and use the Egg for the Ribs.

Plenty of time for 19lber. I cooked comps where I did 9 hour from on pit to turn in and usually cooked 15lbers

Thanks all for the help. I went and made my life easy, did the ribs on the WSM and the Brisket on the egg. Started at 7am and got it all done just before and as guests were arriving so worked out well

when in doubt, keep it simple.

Attachments

• IMG_9067.JPEG
    IMG_9067.JPEG
    86 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8056.jpg
    IMG_8056.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9063.JPEG
    IMG_9063.JPEG
    82.6 KB · Views: 69
Back