Making Some Side Cash

Well,.. lemmy just say that I am not cheating anyone. If local BBQ joints were up to the task I would never get a call. Secondly, I get calls that start with,.." you firing up the pit " So to say I am preforming some illegal activity is the same as saying my son is as well for shredding the neighbors back 20 and getting paid for it. He's not an insured lawn service is he?! But he's cheating huh....?... I dunno,.. that cheating comment rubbed me a little wrong. I know what you are trying to say landarc,.. I just don't see it that way. How is my or my son's hard work cheating? Now if I started serving 200 people a day and not paying anything,... yeah,.. I totally agree,.. but this... nah,... this ain't anything worth fussin over.

Regards,

Kevin

What you are proposing to do it illegal, it cheats the system against those of us that do it the right way. It's no different that a company that pays people under the table. Now, that being said...

The irony is, the more legitimate you are as a catering or vending operation, the more likely it is that you will be sued.

You would have a hard case trying to sell the following as illegal:
1. Person A buys a pork butt on his own from any given retailer.
2. Person B cooks said pork butt at his home for person A.
3. Person A gives person B a donation he deems proper.
4. Person A picks up pork butt from person B when a proper temp is reached.

Two individuals can do whatever they please with whatever food they choose. You are talking about running a business illegally. I am not proposing that.

I agree though, your risk of being sued goes up the more legitimate you are because you are generally feeding more and risking more. It isn't really that crazy of a concept to me.

You're in Texas, I am in California, that is the starting point.

Yes, what you are describing is illegal in California. It has already been determined that regardless of the nature of the transaction or how things are titled, if cooked food is exchanged under and agreement, for either money or credit, that the food is considered to fall under the requirements for proper food handling. Meaning, it cannot be prepared in a residential kitchen.

Well,.. lemmy just say that I am not cheating anyone. If local BBQ joints were up to the task I would never get a call. Secondly, I get calls that start with,.." you firing up the pit " So to say I am preforming some illegal activity is the same as saying my son is as well for shredding the neighbors back 20 and getting paid for it. He's not an insured lawn service is he?! But he's cheating huh....?... I dunno,.. that cheating comment rubbed me a little wrong. I know what you are trying to say landarc,.. I just don't see it that way. How is my or my son's hard work cheating? Now if I started serving 200 people a day and not paying anything,... yeah,.. I totally agree,.. but this... nah,... this ain't anything worth fussin over.

Regards,

Kevin
I apologize if it rubbed you the wrong way, certainly not why I am on this forum. I was making a point about how some (including me) feel about this issue.

In the real world, I am a licensed and registered landscape architect, who specializes in selling design and engineering consulting services. It does rub me the wrong way when gardeners, who carry none of the $5,000 of costs I have to pay every year, undercut me for design services when they are not supposed to be selling them.

Your son wants to hustle up a bunch of chipping and mowing work, more power to him. I personally, draw a random line, at 18 years old, if a kid under 18 wants to hustle and get some work going, I always support that. When it's an adult, totally different to me.

Well i'll be darned landarc... So I need to stay out of California, do not formally agree on anything, hope that whoever picking the food up hides the donation somewhere for me to find and i'll be alright. Easy enough.

The law that Landarc mentioned is applicable here in Michigan as well. I'm guessing it's the same in all states

Alright, so originally I asked if anyone had any horror stories. Do any of you have ACTUAL people you know that have been served with fines or anything of the such. I understand we have laws on everything, our states all have seat belt laws and speeding laws, but we don't all follow the rules all day everyday.

It's nice seeing all the opinions, but from what I read there's a group of people that would classify me with criminals and take my home and car away from me... and another that would let me join them in the backyard and drink beer.

Two individuals can do whatever they please with whatever food they choose. You are talking about running a business illegally. I am not proposing that.

I agree though, your risk of being sued goes up the more legitimate you are because you are generally feeding more and risking more. It isn't really that crazy of a concept to me.

I hate to wade into this chit show but you are forgetting about the IRS. Donation=benefit= income

I sold a bunch of BBQ for a while before I started selling at the farmer's market. Never had any horror stories.....and I sold quite a bit. Of course I only sold to people I knew or people recommended to me by people I knew and trusted. Never sold to total, out of the blue strangers......I would tell them they had the wrong guy....:becky::becky:

Alright, so originally I asked if anyone had any horror stories. Do any of you have ACTUAL people you know that have been served with fines or anything of the such. I understand we have laws on everything, our states all have seat belt laws and speeding laws, but we don't all follow the rules all day everyday.

It's nice seeing all the opinions, but from what I read there's a group of people that would classify me with criminals and take my home and car away from me... and another that would let me join them in the backyard and drink beer.

I like to think we would all welcome you in the backyard for some q and beer. Some of us are just paranoid farkers. Do what you feel comfortable doing.:thumb: We are just trying to give all the angles even if they are far fetched to some degree.:heh:

Kevin,

I have relatives that are criminals. That doesn't mean I wouldn't have a beer with them. :peace:

I am supposed to have car insurance on my vehicles. In lieu of that, I can post a $35,000 bond with my DMV.

I *could* say, "Not gonna do it. Not paying for insurance". And I would save thousands per year....until the day I get in a three or four-car pileup and get sued.

No one is trying to stop you from what you want to do; We are a concerned group of people, both pro and amateur, that are giving you both sides of the coin.

I hate to wade into this chit show but you are forgetting about the IRS. Donation=benefit= income

:clap::clap2: And on this note I guess I will just bow out of this thread and actually regret starting :doh:. I should have known it would get completely blown out of proportion like most things. I'll just go back to my beer, mind my own business and let the paranoid group carry on.

Wow,... just wow,.. some of you are just mind numbing. No wonder this country is so caught up on all the wrong sh*t.

This attitude. This blast a person first and tell them you know everything attitude. They are cheaters and are taking business from companies. I mean really,.... do you hear yourself? Just,... farking wow. I am glad me and my neighbors, friends, family, community, do not share your ideals or views on how to deal with situations like this,.. and probably most everything else.

Sad,

Kevin

:clap::clap2: And on this note I guess I will just bow out of this thread and actually regret starting :doh:. I should have known it would get completely blown out of proportion like most things. I'll just go back to my beer, mind my own business and let the paranoid group carry on.

Wow, just trying to help since I actually own a small business and deal with crap like this.

You go ahead and do what you got to do for a few bucks. I will not share any business related info with you that is based on experience, law, or education that I have received. Don't want to hurt your feelings and all. Everyone here is just trying to help. If you only wanted to hear a specific opinion, you should of just asked yourself.

Wow,... just wow,.. some of you are just mind numbing. No wonder this country is so caught up on all the wrong sh*t.

This attitude. This blast a person first and tell them you know everything attitude. They are cheaters and are taking business from companies. I mean really,.... do you hear yourself? Just,... farking wow. I am glad me and my neighbors, friends, family, community, do not share your ideals or views on how to deal with situations like this,.. and probably most everything else.

Sad,

Kevin

Nobody blasted anybody. People were just trying to help.

Here in Alabama I think nearly every High School Football and Baseball team has a pork butt fund raiser. They usually presell the butts for 35.00 each. Money goes to the sports Alumni club. That way the club can funnel money to the sports program for items that are really needed but the red tape of the school system creates chaos on. New bleachers, helmets, travel expenses, etc.... I have never noticed a Health Inspector permit being displayed. They are heavily advertised. Either they are breaking the law and nobody cares, or they have all the permits etc... maybe they just dont display them.

I will say, that if a weekend cook, who occasionally cooks some butts for someone, takes enough business away from a "legitimate" business, that it has a real financial impact, then I believe the business already has enough trouble that it will not be here long anyway. Not saying it is right or wrong, just saying that if that one guy can close you down, then odds are your business is lousy anyway.

I dont really have a dog in this fight, other than I do buy the school butts. I would feel a little weird telling them I cant buy their butts because Big Bob Gibsons right down the road sells butts and legally I have to buy them all from them. I understand your school program may suffer from this, but the law is the law. I do think Big Bob Gibsons has been around for a long time. Actually they started in 1925 selling meat from the back yard.

Oifmarine2003, he isn't a business. He asked about making some cash on the side. Your's and other's business exp. is not in question here. I'm sure it's vast.

But when I hear things like I have heard earlier in this thread,... wow,.. just wow...

Like, and I'm paraphrasing, "stealing buisness" and "cheating" and "earning under the table is fine till your 18..." and " the health dept. is gonna get you" and " your gonna loose everything".

:tsk:

kev.

Back