MAK flameouts, pellets and temps

kevinstaggs

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Kevin
I've had my 3rd flameout on the 2* and would like the advice of the Brethren...

Each time: Started with cleanout of grill (vac out grill and empty firepot). Using Lumberjack pellets. Running at 235F. Seems to happen after 16-17hrs.

Is this just a consequence of the amount of ash produced by these pellets? Is there something operationally that I should be doing? Could I have a firmware issue? My 2* was bought in June of 2020. No firmware or repairs of any kind since...

Any advice or comments appreciated.

I don't know Kevin. my only flameout came when I forgt to clean it the fire pot. I'm sure Robb and the others will be by soon.

I could be complete off base here, but I’d imagine 16-17 hrs collects too much ash and that is causing the issues. Only problem I ever had with my 1 star is the back pressure when my fan was too close to the cover of my other pit and blocked air. Thermometer is off by about 15-25 degrees, but works fine. I’ve never had any flame out, though. I’m sure the folks at MAK can help out as well!

Hey Kevin,

1) Are you using MAK Grills Mobile when this happens?
2) Are all of your vents clean (vents on back and vents going into cold smoke box)? Clogged vents are a recipe for bad performance.
3) What version of firmware are you running? If you don’t know, turn on your MAK and hold down the Up arrow for a few seconds. It will display.
4) Have your flameouts always been with LJ pellets? They are ashy, and are the only pellet that has ever given me grief. The latest version of firmware seems to have resolved that though.

I haven’t had any flameouts with my 2* but noticed the temps were all over the place at the 16 hour mark. There was a heck of a lot of ash in the fire pot so I was surprised that I actually didn’t have a flameout. I’ve been using bear mountain pellets and always clean the fire pot out before each use as well.

Lumberjack pellets are good for smoke but they do generate a lot of ash so it is possible that you’re right and it’s just building up too much after running that long.

The only flameout I’ve had on the MAK was using LJ 100% hickory. When I opened things up, the pot was over half full of ash after 12-13 hours. I haven’t used LJ 100% Hickory since. I still use their MHC and haven’t had problems with that at all and get less ash. My first choice is still CookPellets though which are the cleanest burning I’ve tried.

I've used lumberjack almost exclusively as I've enjoyed the smoke much more than others I've tried. I've also noticed that different woods have produced different amounts of ash. Oak has been one of the cleanest for me, but the last bag produced significantly more ash than the earlier bags. I've also noticed that mesquite produces a lot of ash. I tend to find that it is hit and miss, depending on the particular bag, which is a bit frustrating.

Lumberjack uses bark on their flavor woods, so 100% Hickory means lots of bark. Bark = more ash. They don’t use bark on their oak in oak/species blends. Not sure on their 100% oak. I’m not an arborist and don’t know all my trees well, but I’m assuming maple and cherry have thinner bark as to why I see less issues with MHC versus 100% hickory. I have nothing against Lumberjack or bark, but to some degree you have to find the best pellets for each pellet grill.

On the contrary, more bark generally equals stronger smoke. That’s LJ’s reasoning behind using it on flavor woods.

I don't have a high end pellet cooker. I do try a lot of different pellets. I'm working my way through multiple 5# bags of Kingsford Hickory I found for 1.99@ at Lowe's last fall.
Really nice pleasant aroma low to I'd say very low ash. But, as discussed when they're gone they're gone for 2022. I'll be moving on to multiple other brands in my stockpile

This may be total BS but I've read on other forums some cookers struggle when the hopper is getting low. The gravitational pressure of a full hopper works differently feeding pellets than a low amount. I've read folks attempt to overcome this by adding a foil brick on top of a foiled plate plate in the pellets. Others have engineered a stove pipe extension to extend the pellet hopper upward. Bottom line, you're not alone. I think my longest pellet cook has been 8 hours and I know nothing g of the Mak design so these coffee ponderings may help or be BS as well.

This may be total BS but I've read on other forums some cookers struggle when the hopper is getting low. The gravitational pressure of a full hopper works differently feeding pellets than a low amount. I've read folks attempt to overcome this by adding a foil brick on top of a foiled plate plate in the pellets. Others have engineered a stove pipe extension to extend the pellet hopper upward. Bottom line, you're not alone. I think my longest pellet cook has been 8 hours and I know nothing g of the Mak design so these coffee ponderings may help or be BS as well.

Now that's an interesting one that I haven't heard. The problem with this problem (see what I did there?) is that its a tough experiment to replicate easily or cheaply. Guess I'll just be forced to go on a brisket cooking spree.

Were you using a probe? On some newer Pit Boss cookers have a thing when they hit the set probe temp it automatically goes to smoke mode. Almost every bridging overflowing problem I'vee read about has been on low smoke mode. Not all but most. Let's say you want to wrap and have probe dialed to 165. It reaches 165 and you miss it. They'll dial back to smoke mode automatically thinking it's done it's cooking job and now just trying to keep it warm.

Flying blind here but enjoying the conversation

When I had my Mak I had several flameouts on long cooks. It has been a few years but I believe the 2 things in common after discussions with MAK were firmware (they sent me an upgrade) and LJ pellets.

Were you using a probe? On some newer Pit Boss cookers have a thing when they hit the set probe temp it automatically goes to smoke mode. Almost every bridging overflowing problem I'vee read about has been on low smoke mode. Not all but most. Let's say you want to wrap and have probe dialed to 165. It reaches 165 and you miss it. They'll dial back to smoke mode automatically thinking it's done it's cooking job and now just trying to keep it warm.

Flying blind here but enjoying the conversation

From the MAK perspective I was using the built-in pit probe, but no meat prob.

I did have a Smoke running a redundant pit probe and a meat prob. I was monitoring the remote, which is how I discovered the flameout.

I had cleaned the probs (MAK and Smoke) but anything is possible. Thinking and discussing is how we solve problems.

Thanks for helping.

I’d vote the lumberjack pellets as well. It’s the only time I’ve ever run into problems on my 2 star (I’ve had great cooks with bags but after ruining a $95 brisket, I swore them off).

Oddly enough, no problems on long or short cooks with the pitboss pellets from Menards.

I just did a 17 hour cook on mine this weekend with LJ Hickory. Started Friday at midnight at 245*, and turned things off at 5pm Saturday. When I went to clean it out the next day, the fire pot was filled to the brim.

I'm not particularly a fan of the ash from LJ Hickory, but the smoke profile is solid. I don't really have time to try all the different options out there, so just stick with it and deal with it. I did try the bear mountain that was sent with the smoker, and picked up 2 other bags. None of them impressed me.

Another interesting thought I live in the USA's dehumidifier region. Majority of the year I don't have to worry about coals getting wet or absorbing moisture. The land of single digit humidity and negative dew points. Windier than Chicago by a lot. Looks like these are still available at Lowe's. Though pricier than what I paid last year. Quite a few reviews but I didn't read them. Mine have performed perfectly

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kingsford-Pellets-Hickory-5-lb/5001374807

Last edited:
Back