Made Hard Cover for Blackstone 28" with Wood - Possible Fire Hazard??

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
RemoGaggi
I was online last night looking at the Blackstone Hard Cover for the 28", which sells for $80 on Amazon. I also saw another custom metal cover made from diamond aluminum which sells for $130. At first, I was thinking why would one want a hard cover, but after researching some, many people do not like fooling around with the soft cover all the time. Additionally, the metal hard covers hang off the back of the griddle and double as a wind screen. It all makes sense, but I have a tough time justifying $80 for a thin piece of rectangular metal sheeting.

So, I had some time today and found a scrap piece of OSB plywood. I quickly put together a hard cover that covers the griddle nicely. I spray painted it black and made 2 metal hangers to hang it as a wind screen. This cost me nothing out of pocket as I already had everything.

My concern/question is using this as a wind screen. When hanging, there's about 1.75 inches of distance from the wood to the griddle. The flame doesn't escape the gap between the burner and griddle, but there is heat there.

I've read wood can ignite around 356 degrees, but as I understand it, it usually takes much more heat to ignite. When I cook, the griddle is in the 350-450 range.

Take a look at the pictures and let me know if you all think this might be dangerous. If so, I just won't use it as a wind screen, but I would like to as the wind is an issue for me here.

Here's the unpainted cover:

Underside of the unpainted cover:

The painted cover:

And, finally, hung from the back of the griddle. Fire hazard??

If you've got any modifications or suggestions, let me know. Thanks!

That'd be a little too close for comfort on my end. My wood deck is at least twice as far away as your cover, even then i move it forward a little just for added safety. I'd say you want at least a 2" air gap, if not more.

I see no issue using it as a cover when not in use. I'd maybe reconsider using it as a wind screen though The Blackstone can get screaming hot. I've had plastic bottles melt under my Blackstone from the radiant heat. I'm sure you can find some steel at any of the big box stores on the cheap to block the wind. It might be worth the cost for a little piece of mind

Nice work on the cover!

That is a major fire hazzard. If the grill is left on or turned on with that in place it could easily ignite. It will also get easier and easier to ignite the more it is exposed to heat and dries out.

Thanks for the replies. I was getting greedy thinking it could double as a wind screen. I'm taking the hooks off and will just use it as a cover. Thanks again!

Aside from the fire hazard issue, wont that get rain soaked pretty easily and possibly still get your cook top wet?

Just try it and see - in worst case it starts to smolder a little and you take it off and hose it down. No big deal.

Aside from the fire hazard issue, wont that get rain soaked pretty easily and possibly still get your cook top wet?

It would, but I'm able to keep my Blackstone under a covered patio area so it's safe from rain. In the winter, I would keep it covered with the soft cover also. But, in the Spring & Summer, we use it a lot and it's a PITA to put and take the soft cover on and off. I like to keep the griddle covered after cooking so it doesn't attract gnats and other flying critters. My non-fireproof OSB hard cover will do that job for me.

Sheet aluminium is reasonably priced and easy to work.
Looks like you are pretty handy, one made from aluminium would also work for your wind screen.

Back