Mad Scientist's The Solution

I overall don’t mind Jeremy. His content has changed over the years and that’s okay. “His” new smoker is a welcome addition to the fray. I feel so indifferent about this. I welcome the competition in this market. Consumers benefit from this.

Yep.

Frank Cox of Smokerbuilder.com is the actual fabricator and pit builder behind this product. I’m pretty confident that he wouldn’t attach himself to a project that didn’t measure up to his standards. Don’t know how much actual design input Yoder had…or if he’s relying completely on Frank’s experience and expertise.

I too am a little confused by the hate Yoder gets. I’m not saying he’s my favorite YT guy, but he does focus on BBQ, and on BBQ pits - subjects I enjoy watching and talking about.

Red

Exactly. Watch Frank's fabrication videos sometime. He knows how to build a solid smoker.

Exactly. Watch Frank's fabrication videos sometime. He knows how to build a solid smoker.

I don't know man...does he have degrees / certificates in metallurgy, bending, coatings, fire science, nutrition? Also, where did he do his PhD work on computational fluid dynamics? If he can't show you all of this paperwork then he probably shouldn't be out there building smokers. :razz:

Note : 100% sarcasm on my part.

He is just a guy making a living at what he has a great passion for, if people don't like him, just don't read or watch his channel.

Nah. Elon Musk is just a guy making a living. I would agree with you if Jeremy Yoder did not show up on my youtube feed even though i dont wan't him too every time i want to look for anything bbq related. So yes, i am going to **** on him any chance i get.

I learn most of what I need to know here. I find YT is a chore, especially for BBQ because there is very little you blokes have not taught me or that I have not worked out myself.

Not to mention too much talking. Yakkety Yak Yak... Shut up and get on with it. Not enough action, placed adds and endorsements.

No thanks.

Please just tell me what happened.

Cheers!

Bill

This thread is a good example why traffic on this forum has declined.

$2,500 seems like a pretty competitive price for a well-made no-frills patio smoker. It'll do work if smokerbuilder is involved. *resume purse swinging*

Last edited:
I learn most of what I need to know here. I find YT is a chore, especially for BBQ because there is very little you blokes have not taught me or that I have not worked out myself.

Not to mention too much talking. Yakkety Yak Yak... Shut up and get on with it. Not enough action, placed adds and endorsements.

No thanks.

Please just tell me what happened.

Cheers!

Bill

My exact feelings.

first glance it looks like a direct ripoff of workhorse (a pit he's praised in the past), maybe with some corners cut to keep the price down. if the quality is there (as mentioned about who's doing the fab work, so it should be), could be an interesting entry into that arena.

guess we'll see what happens.

What do you think was ripped off of Workhorse? I can spot numerous cosmetic differences just quickly looking over the pictures. Stack doesn't fold, collector shape and design is different, hinges are different, no damper on exhaust or intake, different cart/leg style...I mean honestly, how many different ways can there be to make an offset smoker out of steel pipe?

Last edited:
like i said, quick glance, I'm not taking the time to go into a detailed inspection

This thread is a good example why traffic on this forum has declined.

$2,500 seems like a pretty competitive price for a well-made no-frills patio smoker. It'll do work if smokerbuilder is involved. *resume purse swinging*

Agreed, I’ve personally been spending less time here as in the past due to an attitude that’s become the equivalent (to me at least) of old men yelling get off my lawn. There’s too much negativity, too many supposed experts on the forum who poo poo guys like Jeremy who are at least willing to experiment & try new things, this place has become the I know it all already forum so I’m just here to complain about all these young whipper snappers experimenting with these new finagled contraptions.

Change & competition is good for us in the bbq hobby, trying new things isn’t a bad idea & new cookers entering the market should be exciting vs the responses in this thread.

Folks like Bradley Robinson aka Chuds BBQ, Evan LeRoy, Meat Church, Joe Yim, and others are putting out AWESOME content on YouTube. I like Mad Scientist BBQ, too. He hangs and works with most of the folks above as well as others. If you love Central Texas BBQ, watching content from the folks above is currently one of the best ways to learn how to make it. Aaron Franklin has been getting active on YouTube again, recently.

Years ago it felt like there were lots of BBQ "secrets." Not anymore.

Years ago it felt like there were lots of BBQ "secrets." Not anymore.

Yeah...I think that's because you can know all the "secrets" in the world, but if you aren't able to execute them, it doesn't really matter. The value is in the ability to execute and less so for "knowing what to do". And that's a universal truth. Definitely cuts down on the "trial and error" time required.

I started smoking 5 yrs ago and didn't know anything about it, nor anyone locally who did it. Everything I know came from YouTube and a couple books I read. I agree with dsp2. Bradley Robinson, Evan LeRoy, Meat Church, Joe Yim, Franklin, Mad Scientist, Gulf Coast Smoke, etc. all put out great content. If they can make a living or supplement their income doing it, good for them.

I sell real estate for a living, and you either change and adapt as new technology/methods become available or you go out of business.

I think there's a video out there of Evan LeRoy trimming a brisket blindfolded. I saw one in which he trimmed and cooked I think 3 types of ribs blindfolded.

I think the way some of these folks get to be such great cooks is by cooking a TON. Watch Chud trim a brisket. He's done it probably more than a thousand times. It's actually somewhat meditative to watch.

I know LeRoy is also a classically trained chef.

Even if they are holding back a trick or two (I actually don't think they are), it's extremely informative.

Franklin claims that his series of videos on Masterclass (paid subsription required) contains the information he uses to on-board cooks at his Franklin BBQ restaurant.

So much good content out there!

Last edited:
What a load of garbage you've spewed just so you can justify your irrational disdain for a guy on YouTube.

Right or wrong, I made an attempt at some thoughtful analysis and critique--and the response is this malevolence? Relax, Donnie. There's no need to punch someone in the face whenever you think they disagree with you.

This thread is fun but I got me a whole bag of popcorn set aside for when someone says they don't like Malcom :)

Ps, if you do Spanish try La herencia de las viudas

If he maintains that price point and the pit works like an offset should he's going to push a lot of other companies to develop and offer a similar package. Think thats a good thing for the BBQ community.

Most well known pit builders already have a offering in that range.

Back