THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which one would you pick, and why?

• LSG Mini

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • Humphrey's DEB

Votes: 34 42.5%

• Total voters
Does Chris offer a removable shelf option? Also how much does it cost to get a fixed shelf vs collapsible on opposite side of cart. Is the cost the same to mount cart on either side.

Chad you should go ahead and order the large with 4 racks and 3 extra rails. Get your deposit is so you can get your place in line. JMHO

I'm there man. I just have to figure out the best way to pay. I only have a Capital One CC, and my debit has a daily limit I think. I'm talking to the bank tomorrow. I can send a check, but think it has to clear before I'm in.

I thought a couple posts on page 11 covered this? Maybe I am to dumb to understand the question? Square inches might be the same but clearance space between racks is cut in half.

Its hard for me to word the question. I'm thinking if I get the standard its racks are 10" wider, and 2" deeper. People where talking about sides, and appetizers taking up a ton of space in the mini, and would limit the meat you can cook if I got 7 racks. 2 racks would be used for say app, and a pan of beans.

So I was just seeing if I could get more or less use out of the 4 larger racks of the standard. 1 rack can hold two pans so I thought I might gain or lose a bit with the 3 shelves vs the 5 in the mini because of how the SQ inches are in each. Am I making any sense at all?

Does Chris offer a removable shelf option? Also how much does it cost to get a fixed shelf vs collapsible on opposite side of cart. Is the cost the same to mount cart on either side.

I haven't heard of or seen a removable shelf option, but I am sure they could do it. Would it save anything, probably not.

There was no additional cost to put the cart on the right side of the cabinet.

I'm there man. I just have to figure out the best way to pay. I only have a Capital One CC, and my debit has a daily limit I think. I'm talking to the bank tomorrow. I can send a check, but think it has to clear before I'm in.

You could do a wire or bank transfer.

Ask the bank to temporarily raise your limit. They do this all the time for anyone that needs to make a down payment on a car or other big purchase.

I haven't heard of or seen a removable shelf option, but I am sure they could do it. Would it save anything, probably not.

There was no additional cost to put the cart on the right side of the cabinet.

So you have yours on the opposite side of the ball valves or same side, and you got a fixed shelf as well on the other side? Doors open right to left or left to right?

Ask the bank to temporarily raise your limit. They do this all the time for anyone that needs to make a down payment on a car or other big purchase.

Thats what I will do, but I have to be able to do the same day. If Chris responds tomorrow I will be able to. If not Monday or Tuesday I should get on the build list. Now to get it all figured out!!!

Can people post there build list options, and how they have theirs configured. Maybe I can get a few ideas from that. I asked if he could build a larger cart, and he said no.

Its hard for me to word the question. I'm thinking if I get the standard its racks are 10" wider, and 2" deeper. People where talking about sides, and appetizers taking up a ton of space in the mini, and would limit the meat you can cook if I got 7 racks. 2 racks would be used for say app, and a pan of beans.

So I was just seeing if I could get more or less use out of the 4 larger racks of the standard. 1 rack can hold two pans so I thought I might gain or lose a bit with the 3 shelves vs the 5 in the mini because of how the SQ inches are in each. Am I making any sense at all?

Any way you look at it you are short a hotel pan of space on the mini even with 7 racks.

Any way you look at it you are short a hotel pan of space on the mini even with 7 racks.

I'm just trying to get a feel for the limits per each cooker. I know the standard holds two pans that is why I'm trying to see max per shelf for ribs. That will tell me how many shelves I need. I'm trying to budget myself, and see what I should do for my build.

You would have a tough time doing a pan of beans or an appetizer on the shelf spacing of the 7 rack option.

Even with 7 racks, there is always one rack with the standard spacing. The level of the door mounted thermometer does not get the additional rack rails, so that rack will have normal spacing (6.75").

A full sized hotel pan of beans would be about 2-1/2 gallons of beans, and you can get 2 full pans on 1 rack. Just how many folks are you planning on cooking for? If I needed that much in the way of sides and appetizers, I would move them to the oven in the house...

I ordered the 3 sets of rails and 1 extra rack...figured that would give me the ability to experiment with rack spacing, if I find the need for additional racks I can always order them from Chris.

So you have yours on the opposite side of the ball valves or same side, and you got a fixed shelf as well on the other side? Doors open right to left or left to right?

I ask for the cart on the same side as the ball valves, and had the drop down shelf on the opposite side. I did not change the normal hinge arrangement, so the door opens from the opposite side from the cart.

Go back and look at the mockup picture.

You would have a tough time doing a pan of beans or an appetizer on the shelf spacing of the 7 rack option.

Even with 7 racks, there is always one rack with the standard spacing. The level of the door mounted thermometer does not get the additional rack rails, so that rack will have normal spacing (6.75").

A full sized hotel pan of beans would be about 2-1/2 gallons of beans, and you can get 2 full pans on 1 rack. Just how many folks are you planning on cooking for? If I needed that much in the way of sides and appetizers, I would move them to the oven in the house...

I ordered the 3 sets of rails and 1 extra rack...figured that would give me the ability to experiment with rack spacing, if I find the need for additional racks I can always order them from Chris.

I thought each rack would hold a pan on the mini, and two on the standard that must be for the 4.

Well if I cook ribs for 20 to 30 people I would need the sides to match. I was going with the mini, and people said I would run into trouble if I wanted to cook mac n cheese or beans, and some app plus the meat in one cook. So I started looking at the standard.

So if you have 7 racks you can only do half size pans I take it full size with 4 standard at 6.750".

I ask for the cart on the same side as the ball valves, and had the drop down shelf on the opposite side. I did not change the normal hinge arrangement, so the door opens from the opposite side from the cart.

Go back and look at the mockup picture.

So you will use the drop down shelf more than the cart side during the cook? So if I didn't get a drop down shelf, and did the cart on the valve side it would be better to switch the doors? Do you see an issue with the grease drain on the same side as the cart> I like the idea of it over the guru.

So you will use the drop down shelf more than the cart side during the cook? So if I didn't get a drop down shelf, and did the cart on the valve side it would be better to switch the doors? Do you see an issue with the grease drain on the same side as the cart> I like the idea of it over the guru.

By grease drain, I guess you mean the water pan drain. Should not be a problem. I plan on draining into a bucket anyway, and there is still room to get a bucket under the shelf. Honestly, I will probably not use water in the pan, so I will have an aluminum hotel pan sitting in the water pan to catch the grease droppings.

By grease drain, I guess you mean the water pan drain. Should not be a problem. I plan on draining into a bucket anyway, and there is still room to get a bucket under the shelf. Honestly, I will probably not use water in the pan, so I will have an aluminum hotel pan sitting in the water pan to catch the grease droppings.

water/grease same. Oh, I thought you said you wanted to build another rack for the guru? So that is why I asked if it would be an issue. Its nice to have the option in these smokers to go wet or dry.

Back