Lots of cooking coming up for me! Going to try and remember to take lots of pics along the way.

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
Thanks to me neighbor's SNAFU I have a whole rib roast to cook for dinner tonight on top of everything I already had planned...

Memorial Day menu = brisket w/ burnt ends, (whole packer and 2 points), pulled pork (2 butts from restaurant depot), St. Louis spares two ways (4 racks.. 2 racks roughly my comp recipe so sweet and the other 2 "Island Ribs" … robust rub not so sweet, probably use yardbird and for finish pour a jar of sweet and spicy pickles over them along with a mustard vinegar tangy sauce and foil), and also some bratwurst and smoked Azars sausages.

Below is my first pic which is Wampus style peach bourbon baked beans sitting in the fridge which will go on the cooker under the ribs to catch even more goodness while sitting in the smoke for a few hours. I did all the saute'ing this morning so I wouldn't have as much to do tomorrow. They're ready for the cooker tomorrow around 11am or so for a 4PM planned dinner time.

Then I have my boss and boss' boss coming in town Tuesday for a big account planning session (I'm a sales weasel these days) so I plan to have some leftovers from tomorrow, but I'm also going to do two fresh racks of ribs early Tuesday morning ahead of our session and bring everything to the office loaded in my Cambro for lunch time.

Lots of cooking so plan to try and take a bunch of pics along the way and update the thread.

CY43AaMl.jpg

Decided to separate the ribs section of the rib roast. Trussed the rest of the boneless ribeye roast for a more even cooking. Went with Q-Salt and a little Killer Hogs hot rub for good measure. also had some peeled garlic cloves laying around so in they went with 1/4" slits here and there in the meat.

tTXpTqbl.jpg

And this is being cooked on my bullseye w/ SPOGOS at higher heat for a snack for the chef and the doc who supplied the meat. My oldest may get lucky and get to have a beef rib too.

nD8eTZ0l.jpg

The rib roast itself is on as well @ 250. Will post some pics of it when I pull to sear.

Ok then … rolling right along:

I got my brisket out early thankfully because part of it had frozen. I had the little dorm-style fridge overstuffed and it was against the chiller plate. So it is thawing for final trim this evening and on the smoker around 11PM.

HLAKJNQl.jpg

Luckily the butts were good to go and they got trimmed up. I trimmed aggressively, but nothing like a comp which was nice. I didn't pay a lot of attention at Restaurant Depot and wound up with boneless instead of bone-in which I prefer, but this will work. Actually lets you get a little more rub in the flap where the bone is.

Ce67l6gl.jpg

Base rub and injected shoulders. Will pull them out around 9PM or so to get final rub applied and onto smoker around 11PM for overnight cook.

sAJt4Xbl.jpg

Now back to that whole rib roast....the ribs were FANTASTIC with SPOGOS and high heat. Great crust.

3AUudhhl.jpg

rvuunUwl.jpg

A little Silver Oak paired quite nicely.

AJtXRZol.jpg

About 10 more degrees internal to go to pull off and start the searing.

yFUWYqRl.jpg

That's it for now.

Killer food Jason, thanks for sharing!

I love the ribeye bones.Last one I bought,I had the Kroger meat department cut the bones off and retire at no charge.I brought it home,cut their string,trimmed the loin to my liking and roasted dem bones.Good Eats!!!

I love the ribeye bones.Last one I bought,I had the Kroger meat department cut the bones off and retire at no charge.I brought it home,cut their string,trimmed the loin to my liking and roasted dem bones.Good Eats!!!

Them bones really were awesome! I let the Bullseye get up to 400 for a bit, and I think SPOGOS really got set off at that high-heat temp forming an amazing crust.

So come along for the latest update won't you... (Mr. Roger's impression) … it was good trust me.

The 2 year-old rib roast was as good as any I've had of similar grade. MAYBE a slight texture difference, but so subtle that I couldn't definitively say so. I had to kick the temp up in the interest of time so I wasn't able to stay edge to edge @ 250, but it still turned out pretty awesome. Whipped up some aus jus deglazing the pan with some wine and using some minor's aus jus prep (great stuff). Lightning is bad in the last pic on the plate. It was definitely medium at the most in the eye.

l3Kkyd9l.jpg

VSi6Y9ll.jpg

6bl0Mxcl.jpg

So now that the detour is over back to tomorrow's prep...

Brisket thawed perfectly for the trim. Finished trimming, injected and applied my rubs. Pork our of the fridge with final rub applied. I'll fire up the Memphis to 220 in about an hour and then it will ride all night while I get my beauty rest.

Tomorrow will be rib prep and a nice beer bath for the brats.

Z5UheUFl.jpg

fiCqd7nl.jpg

You grayed the CAP??? WTH? I understand that you were under pressure,but YOU GRAYED THE CAP????!!! Sandwiches......,Au Jus and Horseradish will cover your sins on a toasty bun.Tisk,tisk.

You grayed the CAP??? WTH? I understand that you were under pressure,but YOU GRAYED THE CAP????!!! Sandwiches......,Au Jus and Horseradish will cover your sins on a toasty bun.Tisk,tisk.

I know, and believe me or not it even still tasted decent...

And the whirlwind cooks continue...

Was a bit groggy this morning so I didn't get a pic of the brisket before I wrapped it. When I pull the point off to make burnt ends I'll snap a pic of it.

Brisket and shoulders are in the Cambro so onto the smaller stuff.

Made a beer bath for the brats this morning with some onion, garlic cloves, miller lite, butter, and some John Henry Mojave Garlic rub (good stuff).

XoI1xigl.jpg

"Savory ribs destined for Island Style w/ the pickles"

VozoeQal.jpg

My sweeter comp(ish) style ribs:

W0rZPwDl.jpg

Shoulders pulled from the smoker and juice drained (AND RETAINED).

taEkj5hl.jpg

That's it for now. Will post some more. Rib about to go on in 15 mins. Probably put the brisket points on too.

Back