Looking for suggestions for a cabinet smoker.

I never doubted the quality or the customer service of Humphreys smokers I was just giving Rusty an opinion of mine on the 270 smoker . I actually like Humphrey smokers a lot

I guess since they packed it I feel they should back him up and replace them. He blamed the shipper and said the Humphreys folks are great. He never said one bad word on them.
Kind of if they don't back up their dealers it says to me they won't take care of me. That's how it comes across to me.

Ok folks, let me clear this up, ......... They were not aware of the damage because I never informed them. I don't want this to get blown out of proportion. The "Damage", in my opinion, is very minimal and was absolutely caused by the shipper. I didn't notice it because I left them shrink wrapped thinking when someone bought them, this would help protect them on the ride home. By the time I caught it, it's too late to file a claim. That's my fault. Lesson learned..............

Hopefully Rusty Kettle reads this............

Last edited:
This thread hurts my head. Humphreys is a top notch company. I got my battle box in 2013 and they have always been so accommodating, best customer service around. They have been nothing but great to any issues I had. dont bash company's if you don't have experience working with them, you are not the dealer working out of a storage unit.

This thread hurts my head. Humphreys is a top notch company. I got my battle box in 2013 and they have always been so accommodating, best customer service around. They have been nothing but great to any issues I had. dont bash company's if you don't have experience working with them, you are not the dealer working out of a storage unit.

I bashed their packaging and I never said one bad word about their smokers or their people. Never once said they weren't stand up people. Just why I was heading in a different direction. That's it.

Oh my God he bashed the holy packaging. Seriously people get a life. I never said don't buy them their junk or called anyone names.

If it falls on Gary it falls on Gary.
Great to hear they called him.

Now time to let this thread die. Thanks for the input everyone and thanks for responding Gary.

Have a good night folks. It was not my intent to start anything. I am just trying to figure out what direction to go buying a smoker. I explained why and apparently pissed some folks off. Not my intent but hey what You going to do. Can't please everybody.

I bashed their packaging and I never said one bad word about their smokers or their people. Never once said they weren't stand up people. Just why I was heading in a different direction. That's it.

Oh my God he bashed the holy packaging. Seriously people get a life. I never said don't buy them their junk or called anyone names.

If it falls on Gary it falls on Gary.
Great to hear they called him.

Now time to let this thread die. Thanks for the input everyone and thanks for responding Gary.

Have a good night folks. It was not my intent to start anything. I am just trying to figure out what direction to go buying a smoker. I explained why and apparently pissed some folks off. Not my intent but hey what You going to do. Can't please everybody.

I don't think I need a guy who attempts to discredit reputable businesses by making ludicrous claims telling me to get a life. Your intent was clearly to discredit Humphrey's and it blew up in your face.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I need a guy who attempts to discredit reputable businesses by making ludicrous claims telling me to get a life. Your intent was clearly to discredit Humphrey's and it blew up in your face.

Discredit them by saying the packaging sucked and didn't protect the smoker?
Well... One the packaging didn't keep them from getting damaged. That is true.
Two if I wanted to discredit them wouldn't I come up with something better then packaging? Its an easily correctable issue for them so I doubt very much if that criticism would hurt them. No intention to discredit them. I am just going in a different direction. That's it. Am I disappointed? Yes very much so. Who wouldn't be? Thing is the smokers weren't in an acceptable condition for me to be willing to purchase one. It might be I am being picky because of how long I have waited and because for my family $995 is a whole heck of a lot of money. So if someone isn't picky and doesn't mind some minor issues give Gary a call or pm him. He really is a good guy.
I am glad your purchase and many other purchases made by others went well. That is fantastic. I hope you continue to enjoy it.
To think I would discredit them over packaging is absurd.
It just didn't work out for me. Which sucks. That's life though. Can't always get what you want. I am disappointed but will get over it and continue to look for a smoker that works for me.

I have known rusty for probably a few years from this board and he is very helpful when it comes to cooking on a kamodo or wsm's or basically anytime he has knowledge and can help a brethren out , IMHO he did not bash Humphreys other than saying there packaging should be better and I don't feel him saying that is bashing them if anything it could help them down the road , Rusty is good people and I know he didn't have any ill intent. Rusty I do hope you find a nice cabinet smoker your happy with though that turns out some killer Q .....

I have known rusty for probably a few years from this board and he is very helpful when it comes to cooking on a kamodo or wsm's or basically anytime he has knowledge and can help a brethren out , IMHO he did not bash Humphreys other than saying there packaging should be better and I don't feel him saying that is bashing them if anything it could help them down the road , Rusty is good people and I know he didn't have any ill intent. Rusty I do hope you find a nice cabinet smoker your happy with though that turns out some killer Q .....

^^^^
This... :thumb:

there was zero wrong with what Rusty said.. he had a bad experience and shared it..

here the deal... and i hate sounding like broken record..

if you dont like what someone writes, counter it with civil discussion.. not conjecture and name calling. If the dogpile continues you'll find yourself locked out of the thread.

I'm with Rusty on this. When I save for a product and it costs that much I want it in perfect condition. I've been that way since I was a kid. Even with new toys my parents would buy.i hope you find a jam up cooker you can be proud of. Good luck brother.

Man the 3400 looks awesome but not big enough for ribs without cutting or a packer brisket.

I can squeeze ribs in my red box if I put them at a diagonal on the racks but not a brisket. I have another cooker with 17" racks that I get 12LB-15LB briskets on but not a 20 pounder. I'm thinking if you pick your meat right it will work but maybe rusty doesn't want to be measuring meat at the grocery store. :heh:

I Feel sorry for the Dealer that didn't look closely at his shipment. That's a tough lesson. Ouch.,,,, He had a good response with no excuses. Stand up person.
I agree Rusty didn't seem to be bashing anyone. Just relayed a disappointing experience.

Back