Long shot but you guys know this tree?

not cherry dose look like pig nut good smokeing wood

Not cherry.Wild cherry.Big difference.At least in our neck of the woods.Not sure of proper name but we call em wild cherry.Does not put on a nut but tiny little cherry looking berries.I have one in my yard that the bark looks exactly like that tree.

Yeah, we have wild cherry here too. The ones here have a different kind of bark - smoother. But from the images I have seen that can change as they get older. Might be a wild cherry.

Yeah, we have wild cherry here too. The ones here have a different kind of bark - smoother. But from the images I have seen that can change as they get older. Might be a wild cherry.

I have a bunch of black cherry. When it's mature the bark is much different than when young. When it's old the bark almost looks like pine bark. When it's young it's smooth and has horizontal lenticals, almost looks like young birch.

If you put a fresh saw cut on black cherry you can get a strong cherry scent. It's very pleasant. I realized I had cherry when I was putting some saplings through the wood chipper and got that cherry smell. (Wintergreen birch also smells awesome going through the chipper.)

I know that tree!

His name is Ralph.

Why did you cut my friend down?

On the serious side of things, I can't determine what species of tree that is. Talk to your local conservationist, forester or even contact someone who has a tree trimming business. Or you could build a fire and determine if that is a smell you want inside your cooker and flavoring your wood.

Lager,

Juggy

I was leaning butternut, but pignut hickory looks similar....still not convinced either is right though.

So you its been a while.. I've been busy cutting up the tree.. I know its a hardwood.. I know it smells sweet when burning.. It doesn't smell like something I would not throw in the smoker.. Looking at a tree I know is maple.. I believe this current tree pictured on my OP could be maple... The tops of the tree bark doesn't look very similar.. but the base looks very similar to the maple tree across the road from me.

Even though you don't know what species it is, I think you can be pretty comfortable cooking with it. The odds of it being something nasty are pretty low.

What about smelling it. That's the tell.

Smells sweet and smells like wood.. LOL dunno how to describe it.. But I had someone who works in the tree field and they said it was maple.. even if its not I'm burning it.. Going to split some tomorrow. get it started drying for a cook this summer :D

Split it. If it is bright white and there are a bunch of ‘squares’ along the split, its maple.

I don’t see anything like that in the one you posted. They’re very obvious. I’m still convinced it’s hickory. Hickory smells very sweet when burned

Back