lonestargrillz vertical cabinet disappointment

I did have the exhaust open. I am not sure I stated that or not. I had planned on just shutting of the intakes and letting the fire die out.

I took at my mini last night. It has 2 adjustments on the pit mounted latch. A vertical and a horizontal. It may need to be adjusted up or down to catch more of the door latch.

Hey Kap. You are the guy who posted the cook with all of those pork butts for your first big cook on the LSG right? If I remember correctly you went through an entire charcoal basket in about 6 hours. I would bet that both issues are somewhat related. If so there is something amiss somewhere and it doesn't seem that the other owners are having the same issues. With that said it should be correctable. A bunch of pics of the latches and gasket to Chris would be a good start. If you get stymied maybe he can roadie out to you? Good luck with it either way.

I sent a bunch of pics to Chris today of the latch and handle. He said he saw something that was out of line, but didn't think that it was the reason the door keeps popping open. He offered to send me a new latch and gasket and wanted me to call him when I got a chance. Didn't get to call him today, but am off work tomorrow.

I believe in Chris and his customer service. Hell, when I was having issues with keeping a coal bed going, he heard about it from one of the brethren and he contacted me. I was going to give it a few more tries knowing it was the (rookie) pitmaster, not the pit, before I contacted him to ask for help. He goes out of his way to make the customer happy.

I am sure you will get this resolved...

I finally got to talk to Chris on Thursday. He is trying to eliminate variables and is going to send me a new handle and gasket. He also suggested that I could lock the handle with the key and it shouldn't open then. I will change 1 thing at a time and try to eliminate the problem. He seemed willing to do what it takes to make it right.

I finally got to talk to Chris on Thursday. He is trying to eliminate variables and is going to send me a new handle and gasket. He also suggested that I could lock the handle with the key and it shouldn't open then. I will change 1 thing at a time and try to eliminate the problem. He seemed willing to do what it takes to make it right.

Of course he is willing to make it right. He's a good person and a stand up businessman. I wish you would have called him before you started this thread. He's a good man but he's not a mind-reader. lol.

I never doubted that he would be willing to make it right. This forum is the reason I bought the smoker. I would want to know if there was a problem going on with a smoker before I bought one that cost that much. I thought that was the purpose of an open forum was to be able to give information good or bad on a subject. In no way was I trying to sling mud on them as a company. I have a problem with the smoker they built. I am disappointed with that. I hope to get it all fixed and back rolling smoke soon.

Some of the problem is the pressure built up in the cabinet. If you close off the inlet and outlets and then close the upper door, it will sometimes pop the lower latch and open the door to the firebox.

I find it hard to believe there is enough build up of pressure in the cabinet to pop a door open. The unit would have to be air tight the cap on the stack doesn't appear to screw on so any pressure would simply exit out the stack.
My bet is the handle mechanism is faulty (reacting to heat) or as you mentioned the catches need to be adjusted. Is the roller in the handle plastic, nylon or brass?

Chris did not think it was a pressure build up problem. I had the smoke stack open, so no pressure could build up. The roller looks plastic

I never doubted that he would be willing to make it right. This forum is the reason I bought the smoker. I would want to know if there was a problem going on with a smoker before I bought one that cost that much. I thought that was the purpose of an open forum was to be able to give information good or bad on a subject. In no way was I trying to sling mud on them as a company. I have a problem with the smoker they built. I am disappointed with that. I hope to get it all fixed and back rolling smoke soon.
A bit of background, in the past, there have been instances where a disgruntled customer has come on the forum and made accusations against manufacturers, in some cases who were members here, without giving them the chance to respond or correct the situation. Some of us might be a little leery due to that.

Hey KK, I also have no problem with you reporting your issue here. I am sure Chris will do everything in his power to resolve the issue both to your and his satisfaction. Just make sure you share the resolution here. Might help if someone else has a similar issue in the future. It will also show future buyers the level of customer service they can expect if they buy an LSG.

Hope it gets resolved soon!

Hey KK, I also have no problem with you reporting your issue here. I am sure Chris will do everything in his power to resolve the issue both to your and his satisfaction. Just make sure you share the resolution here. Might help if someone else has a similar issue in the future. It will also show future buyers the level of customer service they can expect if they buy an LSG.

Hope it gets resolved soon!

I plan to, I get the parts in today, and will do a dry run Thursday or Friday. Problems happen, sometimes it is how a company/person goes about resolving or not resolving that means a lot to me. I will update as I go.

Wish I would of saw this sooner. I've had the L.S.G. cabinet for about 18 months now. Back in December I had a major grease fire while cooking 24 pork butts. I was cooking without water and all the grease collected in the water pan. Somehow the bottom door popped open and caused all the charcoal to ingite and my tempatures to sky rocket to over 450 deg. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why the door came open. Over the next few cooks I noticed the same thing. A couple houre into the cook the door would randomly pop open. It came to a point where I was cooking with a ratchet strap around the door. It's hard to explain but I finally found the problem. It had to do with the locking mechanisim on the door lach. It was turned just enough so the handle wasn't completly closing. This allowed the door to pop open easily. You can message me and I can give you more details. Haven't had any problems since fixing the problem. Chris is a exllent guy and I'm sure he'll help you thru this. I love my smoker and if I ever need another one I would hesitate at all to order another one.

Thanks for sharing. I was really angry when someone posted it was user error. It isn't hard to shut a door. I think I can do that correctly. I am glad to know others have had the same thing. Chris had told me that out of the 150 or so they have sold that only a hand full had a problem and that it was typically resolved by realigning the catch. He said my catch was aligned properly after I made the 1st adjustment. He also said that he now personally checks the alignment of all the cabinets going out now to make sure that this doesn't happen to others.

Well, I think I am cursed. I went to put the new handle on today and it didn't seem to fit as well as the old one. There was a bigger gap between the roller and the latch than on the old one. So, in the process of taking the new one off and putting the old one back on, I got one of the bolts that attach the handle to the door stuck and it broke off inside the door. Dang it. Now I just have 2 bolts holding the handle on. Luckily, it was the middle bolt and not the outer bolts. I can't get it out either. I worked on it for an hour trying to get it out, with no luck. It got too late to do a test burn, so I will have to wait till Thursday for that.

What size bolt? Weld a smaller bolt to it, the concentrated heat helps free bolt and new bolt gives you something to get ahold of. If it's small -more of a screw - a reverse drill bit and easy out.

Back