THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally got mine delivered today. It looks really well packed in there. I have always had transformers themed names for my smokers, my last being Optimus Primerib. I have been kicking around names for this bad boy. I think I am going to name him Porktress Maximus. Now I just have to free him from the crate.

Have fun getting that beast UN-crated :biggrin1:

Mine came in last week and I got it moved to my patio Sunday. Seasoned it Sunday and again Monday. Tuesday I cooked some chicken. I'm really liking how she operates.

hi guys iv been looking at the LSG insulated smoke for a good while looking to call chris soon to place order the only question i have is are the tie downs and handel welded to the smoker or bolted

Mine look to be screwed on. I saw a video on his website where they look to be welded. I would bet if you have a preference they could accommodate your request.

I want to see some little ones , I'm trying to narrow down my choices

The price difference between the 2 was just enough for me to consider the mini one. If I was going to spend that much, the $500 more to get a way bigger one was worth it. You may think you will never need a smoker that big, but you never know. I thought I would never need one that big, but after cooking for 300 people and 2 more large catering gigs, I figured to go for the big one. I may only need it to be that big once a year, but if is worth it for when you need it.

The price difference between the 2 was just enough for me to consider the mini one. If I was going to spend that much, the $500 more to get a way bigger one was worth it. You may think you will never need a smoker that big, but you never know. I thought I would never need one that big, but after cooking for 300 people and 2 more large catering gigs, I figured to go for the big one. I may only need it to be that big once a year, but if is worth it for when you need it.

That was my thought. I asked LSG about a smaller model way before they started making them. He said that it wouldn't cost much less because the labor was the same. It made perfect sense to me. if I was going to spend that kind of money I would just get the full size one. Extra capacity never hurts.

I do a lot of my cooking on my Traeger 070 , and if I need extra space , I fire up a UDS , most I cook for is about 20 friends and family , and 1 bbq competition , the big one seems like overkill for me , I don't know

Seasoning mine today in the snow. It is having no problems keeping temp at 250 with it being in the 30s outside today. I didn't hook up the guru. I kind of wanted to see how it would cook without it. I opened the ball valve all the way open and opened the other pipe all the way open and it came up to 150 pretty fast. I shut it down after that and it climbed up pretty slow. I got it slightly over 250 and it took a long time to get it back down. The ball valve and the damper are barley open and it is rolling at 250 now

Attachments

I seasoned it for about 5 hours yesterday. I loaded it up with 2.5 rows of charcoal and wood, and didn't get into the second row. I didn't think that was too bad for being 30 degrees outside. I had already taken the charcoal that I didn't use out when I took the picture.

Attachments

Ok, I have decided to make a change. I had ordered a LSG 30" vertical offset with a 1/2" fire box and warming oven. I did a cook this last weekend on my horizontal custom offset 12 hours. I have decided to change my order to the insulated vertical. I own 3 horizontal offset pits. I wanted a larger pit for more volume. I spoke to Chris he highly suggested I go this route as well. I am looking forward to less tending (sorry Oldbill :wink:).
So, now I have some questions:
1st Options: I have added the stainless steel handle, the 8" wheel up grade, deflector, t-plates. Would everyone agree with these?
2nd: Is the Stainless Steel side table needed? Do y'all use it?
3rd: Guru, I have never used one, I don't even know what to order.
Thanks

Ok, I have decided to make a change. I had ordered a LSG 30" vertical offset with a 1/2" fire box and warming oven. I did a cook this last weekend on my horizontal custom offset 12 hours. I have decided to change my order to the insulated vertical. I own 3 horizontal offset pits. I wanted a larger pit for more volume. I spoke to Chris he highly suggested I go this route as well. I am looking forward to less tending (sorry Oldbill :wink:).
1st Options: I have added the stainless steel handle, the 8" wheel up grade, deflector, t-plates. Would everyone agree with these?
Thanks

Yes to option #1 ( I recommend adding a second ball value too)

Yes to option #2. I put my guru control, spritz bottle, gloves, cold beverage on it. Pretty handy table IMO.

3rd option is up to you. I haven't hooked mine up "yet". I want to be able to control with the ball values first and I don't have the reducer for the ball value yet (It's on order). Which controller is up to you. You will need the ball value reducer, and pitbull fan.

Thanks

I just got mine in last week, so I have limited time with mine, but I went with the handle, table, and diffuser. I am really glad I got the handle. It is still pretty hard to roll, the handles helps a lot. I didn't get the t plates, I went and got 6 thin firebricks for $15. I already had a guru, and think it is worth the money. I love being able to do overnight cooks with the guru. I ran it 5 hours Monday with only the ball valve. It wasn't real hard to regulate temps, but would be way easier with the guru. I might upgrade the castors later.

Argh. You guys are horrible. I just spent about 3 hours reading through this whole thread. I have had my 22.5 WSM for a year now, and there are times when it just wasn't as big as I needed and / or loading stuff on the bottom rack was a pain. Looks like a great smoker.

I was hoping that when it was time to upgrade I would get something that would replace both my gasser and WSM. I am guessing the vertical offset would be better for that dual purpose. But that seems to lead more towards a stick burner than charcoal / wood based (correct me if I am wrong).

Argh. You guys are horrible. I just spent about 3 hours reading through this whole thread. I have had my 22.5 WSM for a year now, and there are times when it just wasn't as big as I needed and / or loading stuff on the bottom rack was a pain. Looks like a great smoker.

I was hoping that when it was time to upgrade I would get something that would replace both my gasser and WSM. I am guessing the vertical offset would be better for that dual purpose. But that seems to lead more towards a stick burner than charcoal / wood based (correct me if I am wrong).

If you get a stick burner with the correct warmer you can do small/hot cooks with charcoal and wood chunks in the warmer. The bigger cooks could be done in the main chamber with wood splits.

If you get a stick burner with the correct warmer you can do small/hot cooks with charcoal and wood chunks in the warmer. The bigger cooks could be done in the main chamber with wood splits.

Thanks. I was looking at SSV3's LSG. It has the warmer and it looks like one of his cooks later in that thread is using lump.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199899&highlight=lonestar

If I am going to get the ok from CinC-House to spend $3K on a new smoker, it would need to replace both my WSM and Weber Genesis S-330, without any loss of capability, cause I would probably have to sell those as part of the agreement.

Just replacing the WSM with a cabinet smoker might be an option, but the trade off in cost might make it less likely to get approval.

Thanks

1. Yes. I would go with these options
2. Yes. You will use the table alot
3. Yes. Get a digi x2 guru with 25cfm fan, and extensions for the fan, and very long probe wires, and the adaptor for the fan

I DID IT!! I am new to both the site and to cooking BBQ. For the last couple of years I have been cooking on Primo XL, but would like to cook more at once. I have researched cookers for over a year and finally made up my mind as well as opened up my wallet and ordered a Lone Star Mini!!! I will keep y'all posted and keep learning from your experience!!

I DID IT!! I am new to both the site and to cooking BBQ. For the last couple of years I have been cooking on Primo XL, but would like to cook more at once. I have researched cookers for over a year and finally made up my mind as well as opened up my wallet and ordered a Lone Star Mini!!! I will keep y'all posted and keep learning from your experience!!

Congrats! You will love the mini. LSG builds a solid cooker.

Back