Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Finally got mine delivered today. It looks really well packed in there. I have always had transformers themed names for my smokers, my last being Optimus Primerib. I have been kicking around names for this bad boy. I think I am going to name him Porktress Maximus. Now I just have to free him from the crate.

Have fun getting that beast UN-crated :biggrin1:

Mine came in last week and I got it moved to my patio Sunday. Seasoned it Sunday and again Monday. Tuesday I cooked some chicken. I'm really liking how she operates.

hi guys iv been looking at the LSG insulated smoke for a good while looking to call chris soon to place order the only question i have is are the tie downs and handel welded to the smoker or bolted

Mine look to be screwed on. I saw a video on his website where they look to be welded. I would bet if you have a preference they could accommodate your request.

I want to see some little ones , I'm trying to narrow down my choices

The price difference between the 2 was just enough for me to consider the mini one. If I was going to spend that much, the $500 more to get a way bigger one was worth it. You may think you will never need a smoker that big, but you never know. I thought I would never need one that big, but after cooking for 300 people and 2 more large catering gigs, I figured to go for the big one. I may only need it to be that big once a year, but if is worth it for when you need it.

The price difference between the 2 was just enough for me to consider the mini one. If I was going to spend that much, the $500 more to get a way bigger one was worth it. You may think you will never need a smoker that big, but you never know. I thought I would never need one that big, but after cooking for 300 people and 2 more large catering gigs, I figured to go for the big one. I may only need it to be that big once a year, but if is worth it for when you need it.

That was my thought. I asked LSG about a smaller model way before they started making them. He said that it wouldn't cost much less because the labor was the same. It made perfect sense to me. if I was going to spend that kind of money I would just get the full size one. Extra capacity never hurts.

I do a lot of my cooking on my Traeger 070 , and if I need extra space , I fire up a UDS , most I cook for is about 20 friends and family , and 1 bbq competition , the big one seems like overkill for me , I don't know

Seasoning mine today in the snow. It is having no problems keeping temp at 250 with it being in the 30s outside today. I didn't hook up the guru. I kind of wanted to see how it would cook without it. I opened the ball valve all the way open and opened the other pipe all the way open and it came up to 150 pretty fast. I shut it down after that and it climbed up pretty slow. I got it slightly over 250 and it took a long time to get it back down. The ball valve and the damper are barley open and it is rolling at 250 now

Attachments

• 20150216_130410.jpg
    20150216_130410.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 421
I seasoned it for about 5 hours yesterday. I loaded it up with 2.5 rows of charcoal and wood, and didn't get into the second row. I didn't think that was too bad for being 30 degrees outside. I had already taken the charcoal that I didn't use out when I took the picture.

Attachments

• 20150216_171745.jpg
    20150216_171745.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 394
Ok, I have decided to make a change. I had ordered a LSG 30" vertical offset with a 1/2" fire box and warming oven. I did a cook this last weekend on my horizontal custom offset 12 hours. I have decided to change my order to the insulated vertical. I own 3 horizontal offset pits. I wanted a larger pit for more volume. I spoke to Chris he highly suggested I go this route as well. I am looking forward to less tending (sorry Oldbill :wink:).
So, now I have some questions:
1st Options: I have added the stainless steel handle, the 8" wheel up grade, deflector, t-plates. Would everyone agree with these?
2nd: Is the Stainless Steel side table needed? Do y'all use it?
3rd: Guru, I have never used one, I don't even know what to order.
Thanks

Ok, I have decided to make a change. I had ordered a LSG 30" vertical offset with a 1/2" fire box and warming oven. I did a cook this last weekend on my horizontal custom offset 12 hours. I have decided to change my order to the insulated vertical. I own 3 horizontal offset pits. I wanted a larger pit for more volume. I spoke to Chris he highly suggested I go this route as well. I am looking forward to less tending (sorry Oldbill :wink:).
1st Options: I have added the stainless steel handle, the 8" wheel up grade, deflector, t-plates. Would everyone agree with these?
Thanks

Yes to option #1 ( I recommend adding a second ball value too)

Yes to option #2. I put my guru control, spritz bottle, gloves, cold beverage on it. Pretty handy table IMO.

3rd option is up to you. I haven't hooked mine up "yet". I want to be able to control with the ball values first and I don't have the reducer for the ball value yet (It's on order). Which controller is up to you. You will need the ball value reducer, and pitbull fan.

Thanks

I just got mine in last week, so I have limited time with mine, but I went with the handle, table, and diffuser. I am really glad I got the handle. It is still pretty hard to roll, the handles helps a lot. I didn't get the t plates, I went and got 6 thin firebricks for $15. I already had a guru, and think it is worth the money. I love being able to do overnight cooks with the guru. I ran it 5 hours Monday with only the ball valve. It wasn't real hard to regulate temps, but would be way easier with the guru. I might upgrade the castors later.

Argh. You guys are horrible. I just spent about 3 hours reading through this whole thread. I have had my 22.5 WSM for a year now, and there are times when it just wasn't as big as I needed and / or loading stuff on the bottom rack was a pain. Looks like a great smoker.

I was hoping that when it was time to upgrade I would get something that would replace both my gasser and WSM. I am guessing the vertical offset would be better for that dual purpose. But that seems to lead more towards a stick burner than charcoal / wood based (correct me if I am wrong).

Argh. You guys are horrible. I just spent about 3 hours reading through this whole thread. I have had my 22.5 WSM for a year now, and there are times when it just wasn't as big as I needed and / or loading stuff on the bottom rack was a pain. Looks like a great smoker.

I was hoping that when it was time to upgrade I would get something that would replace both my gasser and WSM. I am guessing the vertical offset would be better for that dual purpose. But that seems to lead more towards a stick burner than charcoal / wood based (correct me if I am wrong).

If you get a stick burner with the correct warmer you can do small/hot cooks with charcoal and wood chunks in the warmer. The bigger cooks could be done in the main chamber with wood splits.

If you get a stick burner with the correct warmer you can do small/hot cooks with charcoal and wood chunks in the warmer. The bigger cooks could be done in the main chamber with wood splits.

Thanks. I was looking at SSV3's LSG. It has the warmer and it looks like one of his cooks later in that thread is using lump.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199899&highlight=lonestar

If I am going to get the ok from CinC-House to spend $3K on a new smoker, it would need to replace both my WSM and Weber Genesis S-330, without any loss of capability, cause I would probably have to sell those as part of the agreement.

Just replacing the WSM with a cabinet smoker might be an option, but the trade off in cost might make it less likely to get approval.

Thanks

1. Yes. I would go with these options
2. Yes. You will use the table alot
3. Yes. Get a digi x2 guru with 25cfm fan, and extensions for the fan, and very long probe wires, and the adaptor for the fan

I DID IT!! I am new to both the site and to cooking BBQ. For the last couple of years I have been cooking on Primo XL, but would like to cook more at once. I have researched cookers for over a year and finally made up my mind as well as opened up my wallet and ordered a Lone Star Mini!!! I will keep y'all posted and keep learning from your experience!!

I DID IT!! I am new to both the site and to cooking BBQ. For the last couple of years I have been cooking on Primo XL, but would like to cook more at once. I have researched cookers for over a year and finally made up my mind as well as opened up my wallet and ordered a Lone Star Mini!!! I will keep y'all posted and keep learning from your experience!!

Congrats! You will love the mini. LSG builds a solid cooker.

Back