Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

I agree with the info Cheez provided, and he should know, he has a mini like you are asking about. Now, I will throw out there that if you are cooking that much at once, would you think of going with the full size? I can't speak to what the mini holds. On my full size I can four or five briskets on one grate, six or so racks of SLC spares per grate, six to eight butts per grate. There are four grates, but I use the bottom to hold two disposable pans to catch the drippings.

Just throwing the info out there in case there is any chance that what you cook today grows tomorrow.

I agree with the info Cheez provided, and he should know, he has a mini like you are asking about. Now, I will throw out there that if you are cooking that much at once, would you think of going with the full size? I can't speak to what the mini holds. On my full size I can four or five briskets on one grate, six or so racks of SLC spares per grate, six to eight butts per grate. There are four grates, but I use the bottom to hold two disposable pans to catch the drippings.

Just throwing the info out there in case there is any chance that what you cook today grows tomorrow.

I've considered it actually. Honestly, I wish i could see one in person. I may just drive up to their facility and check them out.

In reality - I'm a marine construction engineer and work in the oil/gas industry... very very slow at the moment. I smoke meat for a profit - and myself obviously. What started as a request from some co-workers has turned out to be several briskets a week on an egg. I can only cook one at a time.. while they are tremendously good.. its still only one. As a matter of fact - often times i send our galley hands and/or cooks to bed at the request of my crew to cook/smoke meat.

I don't want to get that deep into a gigantic smoker until I can justify it ya know. Right now having the ability to cook 4 at a time seems legit... or brisket and butt combination.

Now - if it gets to where 4 at a time isn't enough then I'd immediately pull the trigger on the larger one.

I don't think costco could supply me with enough quality prime briskets to fit the bill (as it is only 1 or 2 typically are worth while out of a few cases) - and not enough people are willing to pay for wagyu. I'm working on a deal to get both prime+ and wagyu from the same cattle rancher which would decrease the price some on both and likely would lead to me needing major freezer room.

btw - how much charcoal does the larger smoker need to feed it for a full brisket cook?

now - if i could only score some affordable pecan lump charcoal ... until then ill settle for oak lump and pecan chunks.

I too hemmed and hawed between the mini and regular size one. Ended up getting the regular sized one and do not regret it. I like the spacious room, and I have filled it up several times already. The charcoal consumption is very low. I do a few briskets every time I cook, and I fill the basket up half way maybe, and I got plenty charcoal leftover when the cook it over.

I too hemmed and hawed between the mini and regular size one. Ended up getting the regular sized one and do not regret it. I like the spacious room, and I have filled it up several times already. The charcoal consumption is very low. I do a few briskets every time I cook, and I fill the basket up half way maybe, and I got plenty charcoal leftover when the cook it over.

I had no idea folks in Washington state knew what a smoker was :razz:

How did u get yours equipped? If it's not being rude... Care to share a ballpark price delivered? Seemed the mini price quoted was 3300ish delivered.

I ordered my in December 2015, received it in early 2016, so I am sure the prices have changed. I am only 4 hours away, so I picked mine up. Shipping can be pricey.

The cabinets really don't have too many options. I got the large, with folding side table, pull handle, tie down rings, T-Plates, heat diverter, and 2 brass ball valves for just under $3500 with tax. If I was to do it over, I would not buy the T-Plates. I have not used them as the smoker is that stable. I believe the current model comes with an option for a cart instead of the table. I would probably get that if I was to get one today. They offer the option for three more grate slide positions. If I was to do it over again, I would probably have those added just to provide more versatility on grate positions.

As for charcoal, I don't measure, I guess I should one day. I believe the charcoal pan will hold 40 pounds of charcoal, I have never filled it up. I normally pull out the pan, rake the old charcoal to get rid of the ash and pull out the burned wood chunks, dump any where up to a 20 pound bag of KBB in depending on what I am cooking, add some wood chunks, and fire her up. Here is a picture after I have raked the coals and added wood:

A547DFEE-592D-4430-A14F-0996CB0904EB_zpsojvkk57b.jpg

Finished loading it:

CCBEDB52-96E5-47D8-AB35-5816275B71BD_zpshejecr1y.jpg

And firing it up:

5E4C765F-E066-48DE-8BA2-26D60C75862F_zpspniooaov.jpg

When I am done cooking, I close all the valves and the exhaust and it snuffs the fire out and slowly cools down. That's all I use when doing briskets and I have ran the smoker for over 18 hours and always have a bunch of charcoal to reuse for the next cook.

Still not quite awake yet. Let me know if any of that makes sense... :mrgreen:

Go BIG or Go Home!!! lol

I went with the Full Size with Cart option on the left AND the folding table. It's nice to have the extra counter space, as well as having the ball valves being protected by the cart.

Also, Get the added welded in grate rails so you can move them around to fit your needs. I only ordered one extra grate. Got the tie downs, 8" casters instead of the 10" run flats.

I agree I probably wouldn't have got the T-plates if I could do over. Got the Heat diverter also.

6D059D68-607B-4D63-8C80-8E5E83F5DBE4_zpsw471kasv.jpg

FDF881A6-172E-4410-915E-187FF5EF87AA_zpsatwcbl9s.jpg

I ordered my in December 2015, received it in early 2016, so I am sure the prices have changed. I am only 4 hours away, so I picked mine up. Shipping can be pricey.

The cabinets really don't have too many options. I got the large, with folding side table, pull handle, tie down rings, T-Plates, heat diverter, and 2 brass ball valves for just under $3500 with tax. If I was to do it over, I would not buy the T-Plates. I have not used them as the smoker is that stable. I believe the current model comes with an option for a cart instead of the table. I would probably get that if I was to get one today. They offer the option for three more grate slide positions. If I was to do it over again, I would probably have those added just to provide more versatility on grate positions.

As for charcoal, I don't measure, I guess I should one day. I believe the charcoal pan will hold 40 pounds of charcoal, I have never filled it up. I normally pull out the pan, rake the old charcoal to get rid of the ash and pull out the burned wood chunks, dump any where up to a 20 pound bag of KBB in depending on what I am cooking, add some wood chunks, and fire her up. Here is a picture after I have raked the coals and added wood:

A547DFEE-592D-4430-A14F-0996CB0904EB_zpsojvkk57b.jpg

Finished loading it:

CCBEDB52-96E5-47D8-AB35-5816275B71BD_zpshejecr1y.jpg

And firing it up:

5E4C765F-E066-48DE-8BA2-26D60C75862F_zpspniooaov.jpg

When I am done cooking, I close all the valves and the exhaust and it snuffs the fire out and slowly cools down. That's all I use when doing briskets and I have ran the smoker for over 18 hours and always have a bunch of charcoal to reuse for the next cook.

Still not quite awake yet. Let me know if any of that makes sense... :mrgreen:

Nice. So that amount of charcoal burns long enough for a full brisket cook in the large smoker?

I think the drive from Lafayette to Chris shop is about 4 hours as well.

My plan (if u call it that) is to store the smoker in the garage. I'll open the garage door and wheel it outside... Light and smoke briskets. When finished wheel back inside.

Not sure is the "competition" package is necessary.. I'm with you on the added rails. The heat diverter seems like the only must.

If I had to guess, I would agree with Cheez, probably about a pound an hour of charcoal. It burns more to get it up to temp, but then it needs very little to keep it stable. Once stable, I have one ball valve closed and the other just barely open. These cabinets are so well insulated and efficient. Like I mentioned above, it takes at least 3 hours for the heat to go down.

If you are going to move it in and out, I like these wheels on mine, but others like the large, steel wheels. I guess it is personal preference.

http://www.marathonind.com/10-Swivel-Caster-with-Flat-Free-Tire-P166.aspx
http://www.marathonind.com/10-Rigid-Caster-with-Flat-Free-Tire-P167C23.aspx

And, no smoker is complete without a bottle opener. I ordered one from this place and had it shipped to LSG. They installed it for free:

http://www.capcatchers.com/

offshore,

I have owned the standard (sold it) and I now own the mini. I love the mini, and it covers 98% of all cooks. But if I was ordering today, I would order the standard again.
I can cook 8 ~ 12# briskets in the mini, but it is a full load! I only do this a couple times a year. I can cook 12 ~8 to 10# butts and maybe could do 16, but air flow might be restricted. I prefer to load 4 briskets, or 8 butts. These are the only 2 meats I cook on mine. I have an offset that I cook 4 to 6 hour cooks on.

Biggest pro for the mini is weight of firebox and ash pan.

Standard here, comp cart, tie downs, all 7 rails and racks. I load my coals exactly like Thoey now, I used to use fire bricks. It's ridiculous how efficient it is.

-D

offshore,

I have owned the standard (sold it) and I now own the mini. I love the mini, and it covers 98% of all cooks. But if I was ordering today, I would order the standard again.
I can cook 8 ~ 12# briskets in the mini, but it is a full load! I only do this a couple times a year. I can cook 12 ~8 to 10# butts and maybe could do 16, but air flow might be restricted. I prefer to load 4 briskets, or 8 butts. These are the only 2 meats I cook on mine. I have an offset that I cook 4 to 6 hour cooks on.

Biggest pro for the mini is weight of firebox and ash pan.

when you say 12# ..do you mean before trimming? I typically smoke 15-17# (but end up 12-14 after trimming).

The wagyu briskets are typically 13-14# before trimming and don't need much trimming typically.

If i could cook 6 in the mini I'm good. On the other hand, the price difference between the two is negligible (i think its about $430 with the accessories being of equal price).

one of my dry aged wagyu briskets

n64xok.jpg

Last edited:
I purchase 12 to 15#ers usually and then trim. Prime from Costco. I believe you are going to need the standard size. You already need to cook 6,and that will grow. An option I would defiantly add is the extra grate rails (I don't have this option), and maybe an extra grate (some people are getting 6 grates total). I like to cook on the upper 3 and use disposable aluminum pans on the bottom grate (clean up is a breeze). I don't cook with water in the water pan, but I will put a gallon in the aluminum pan at the beginning of a cook. But seriously spend the extra $500 and get the standard.
P.S. Know where you are going to cook, I flip flopped the door for my cooking area set up.

I purchase 12 to 15#ers usually and then trim. Prime from Costco. I believe you are going to need the standard size. You already need to cook 6,and that will grow. An option I would defiantly add is the extra grate rails (I don't have this option), and maybe an extra grate (some people are getting 6 grates total). I like to cook on the upper 3 and use disposable aluminum pans on the bottom grate (clean up is a breeze). I don't cook with water in the water pan, but I will put a gallon in the aluminum pan at the beginning of a cook. But seriously spend the extra $500 and get the standard.
P.S. Know where you are going to cook, I flip flopped the door for my cooking area set up.

I believe yall are right. I just called and asked for a quote. The freight will be a tad higher, but I'd honestly rather have it come here and not be concerned with idiots on I10 and I45.

I can think of a reason or two when bigger wouldn't work, like limited space, etc. The way I look at it, the price isn't that much different when you think about what you are going to spend already. If it means you have to save for a couple more months, I understand, but do it right the first time. You can always cook a little on a BIG smoker. You can't always cook MORE on a smaller smoker. Pay once, cry once.

You might want to ask Cheez about shipping. I'd would rather go pick it up myself.

(Yes, as far as I know that was a one time thing, but it was HIS one time...)

I can think of a reason or two when bigger wouldn't work, like limited space, etc. The way I look at it, the price isn't that much different when you think about what you are going to spend already. If it means you have to save for a couple more months, I understand, but do it right the first time. You can always cook a little on a BIG smoker. You can't always cook MORE on a smaller smoker. Pay once, cry once.

You might want to ask Cheez about shipping. I'd would rather go pick it up myself.

(Yes, as far as I know that was a one time thing, but it was HIS one time...)

so you like yours too huh? I'll pay the deposit on friday.

I looked at my own states version of a smoker - backwoods fatboy g2... I'm not going to knock it, but it didn't feel like it should cost what they were asking ya know.

Quick Update. I have had my LSG Insulated Cabinet Smoker a couple of months now and just wanted to say I couldn't be happier with it. It took a couple of cooks to get the hang of the temp control, but now it's pretty much sit it and forget it. For me, it's nice not having to "babysit" the cooker anymore. I have done brisket, pork & beef ribs, chicken and pork butts - all have turned out great. If you are considering one of these cookers I would say go for it, they are all everyone says they are. Thanks again Chris and Amber for a great product.

Just a couple of random thoughts on deciding the cabinets size. I bought one of the competitors cabinets a couple of years ago and decided to go with the standard size even though I only cook for two unless we're having a family get together. The standard lets you put two full size pans on each shelf for sides and/or different meats such as chickens etc. without worrying about contamination. I don't have any regrets buying the bigger cabinet.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the amount of sausage that can be done on the standard cabinet. I can hang 70# max but prefer to keep it around 40# or so, just makes it easier to pull it as it finishes.

I picked up my cabinet in a utility trailer without any problems and mine didn't have any tie down rings. Total trip was about 5 hours and I didn't have any problems. I would recommend the tie down ring option and would take plenty of ratchet straps and an old blanket or two.

Good luck with your selection, LSG makes top of the line smokers .

Back