Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

I am going to try some pellets next weekend. Now how about this for an idea. A lonestar grillz cooking class? Maybe once a year in the winter? Ummmm, Chris might think about that. Since he has the most experience..... That would be fun

I've never used pellets before --- just sticks.
Didn't sound like a bad idea.
Until now !!
I've cold smoked a lot of cheese. I use pellets in an Amaz'n tube that holds one pound of pellets. They smolder and smoke very slowly. In my experimentation with the tube I found that if I let it burn for much more than 2 hours the cheese gets over smoked. The tube will burn for 4-5 hours in my cabinet. It doesn't put off much heat but a ton of smoke.

If I were going to try pellets with charcoal I would do it cooking a cheap cut of meat like a Boston Butt. Run the smoker no more than say 225. If it gets over smoked you wouldn't be out much.

I will likely never try pellets for a meat cook since I get all the smoking chunks I'll ever use for free.

Thinking your right. I used the amazing maze also. Have one of the first ones. It won't take much pellets. I am going to give it a shot on ribs....

T3OqN

Doubt this will work
Never downloaded pics off a phone

Nope didn't work
Have to wait

Last edited:
I'll have to wait till Monday when I get to a computer and post some pics.

But we just ate some sandwiches from it.
This was one of the best purchases I've EVER made !!!
Brisket and Pork turned out fantastic !!
Incredible cooking experience

Cyber Q with LSG Mini Insulated Cabinet assistance needed

Hello,

Over the weekend I attempted to use my Cyber Q with my new Mini insulated cabinet and didn't have great results - no food just trying to figure out how to get Cyber Q dialed in. This is my second time and the first attempt last weekend over shot as well.

I used T plates this time (didn't last time) and put charcoal and wood in approximately a row and a half long and then dumped about a 1/3 of a starters worth of charcoal in the left corner and immediately hooked up the Cyber Q with the grate probe and I put an onion in with a temperature probe. My top vent on mini was set to half open and my fan damper on the Cyber Q was set to half open as well. The fan ran at 100% for most of the time and I set the temperature to 250 and it ramped down as it got closer and shut off at 250. The temperature started to creep up so I shut the top vent and the Cyber Q damper to 1/4 open when it got to 259 The temperature continued to creep up to 265 but didn't get any higher and I kept the door shut for over an hour and temp stayed at 264 or 265. When I opened the door for about 15 seconds - the temperature went up to 290 degrees and stayed there for hours. The smoke coming out of the cooker was white the entire time the Cyber q was hooked but not billowing after the first 45 minutes or so. It took about an hour and half to two hours to get up to 250 degrees. For the first thirty minutes it was not windy but after that had approximately 10 mile winds.

I also noticed the Cyber Q probe in the onion never went over 220 degrees even though the cook temp was set to 250 for pit temp and onion done temperature so not sure why that happened.

Any feedback on what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated - I need to be able to have it not overshoot, not have white smoke and to recover when the door is opened. It appears that it overshoots and shuts off the fan and starves the fire which causes. I used the cabinet the first time with out a temperature control and had no issues getting thin blue smoke.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Is the cyber q one that has to "learn"? I'd try again with the temp set 25-50 degrees below target temp. Easier to increase temp in an insulated cabinet than lower it. Can you set it to stop blowing when it detects the door has been opened? I have an atc but I just go without. My cabinet locks in very well without. May just need more trial and error. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I am running the CyberQ Cloud with the Pitbull fan on my mini now and have a few cooks with it under my belt. I never use the T plates. Start out with the exhaust wide open. Set your fan damper wide open. Set the ball valve wide open. Clip the pit probe onto the TelTRU probe. Fill your firebox up with charcoal (I like KBB briquettes) and whatever wood chunks you like and leave enough room in the front corner on the intake side for about 1/3 chimney of lit coals. Light up the chimney and when they get mostly ashed over dump them in and close the door.

Turn on the CyberQ and set it wherever you want. When the pit gets to within 25 degrees of target close the exhaust about 1/2 way. Close the fan damper to 1/4 open. If 95 degree sun is beating down on your cooker you will have to close the fan damper and exhaust a little more. Keep in mind that the LSG cabinet is thick steel. Once it gets hot it will not cool down quickly. I bought a big patio umbrella to shade my cooker on the screaming hot days. Water is also your friend on super hot days. It will be a struggle to keep temps down if your cooker is in direct sun. No way around it. Food in your cooker will also change the dynamics of how the pit temps act.

Don't be overly concerned about the color of the smoke. After 45 minutes or so the bad taste of the white smoke will be gone.

We are only a little over an hour apart so if you want to get together sometime I will be glad to show you some stuff with the mini.

Thanks for the info Cheez! I have never used water - only my third cook but might try it. Not sure I want to deal with greasy water disposal lol. I appreciate the offer and we might do that sometime - would love to see you set up a cook and how you do things and ask questions.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks for the info Cheez! I have never used water - only my third cook but might try it. Not sure I want to deal with greasy water disposal lol. I appreciate the offer and we might do that sometime - would love to see you set up a cook and how you do things and ask questions.

Thanks,

Mark

Greasy water is definitely a mess. I minimize it by only using a little water. I like the looks of a smoke ring and it is difficult if not impossible to get a ring with a cabinet without water. Plus the fact that water helps to stabilize temps.

Question?
When you clean up your smoker after a cook.
Do y'all wash it out with a water hose?
If you do -- how are y'all getting the water out in the bottom underneath
the firebox, it holds about 1" of water?
With a shopvac, blow it out, throw some towels in there to soak it up, etc...

Question?
When you clean up your smoker after a cook.
Do y'all wash it out with a water hose?
If you do -- how are y'all getting the water out in the bottom underneath
the firebox, it holds about 1" of water?
With a shopvac, blow it out, throw some towels in there to soak it up, etc...

I used a hose one time a few months after I first got my cooker. It took me quite a while to get all the water out even with a shop vac. I have never nor will never do that one again. Now I just use the shop vac to clean out the ashes under the firebox, spray it down with oil to re-season and let it go.

As far as cleaning out the rest of the cooker I just use the Cajun Dragon to burn off the heavy stuff. Then I use a wire brush to knock the carbon off and shop vac the loose stuff. Re-season and let it go.

Here's my $.02 on using DigiQ and fan, and on water and cleanup.

Set your top dampener to 1/3 open, set your front ball valve to 1/3 open, set your pitbull fan dampener to 1/3 open. Make sure your water pan 1" valve is closed...again, I never use it!
Cap your rear ball valve off, u won't use it...or close the valve if u have a rear ball valve. Fill your T plate maze up with briquettes and chunks of wood.

Use a handheld blowtorch (the small camping bottle one) and light the first three or four briquette at the very front left (just hold the blowtorch on the very front briquette or so, for about 3 mins). That's it. You don't need a fire going, just a couple briquettes shown a bit of grey.

Close firebox door, set DigiQ or cyberq or whatever u are using to 225 (or whatever temp u want to cook at)

Wait an hour and a half and your LSG with be almost up to temp (use the hour and a half to inject, rub, whatever your meat. I never marinate overnight...)

Put your meat on, stick meat probes in, set your DigiQ food temp alarm to 195 or whatever u cook until. Don't open the door again until your food alarm goes off, 10-14 hours later.

Key point here is SMALL fire! If you think you didn't get it lit enough, that's probably just perfect. People tend to start WAY too many briquettes initially!
You cannot control a big fire....start 3-4 briquettes by blowtorch while already in the maze, and let the fan and the oxygen starved box do the work! This is how you will get 14 hours out of a 7-8 lb sack of briquettes (I used Stubbs hardwood as the year are cheap and 100% hardwood) they are uniform and burn at pretty much the same rate. Lump varies in size too much and burns at different rates...don't use lump.

That it, easy and simple, works every time.

Now for water....don't use it. It doesn't need it, doesn't add any moisture to the final product, causes temp swings as it evaporates, and is a big frickn mess.
If you just can't help yourself, put water in a half sheet pan and set it in the water pan. Easy cleanup, no mess. There Is plenty of water in the 10-50 lbs of meat you just stuck in your smoker! And that water turns to moisture and sweats out of the meat while it cooks, adding all the moisture you will ever need in your LSG.

Use drip trays under all cuts of meat to catch ALL drippings, and you will never clean anything but the grates your meat sat on. Keeps your smoker super clean.

That's it. The beauty of an insulated cooker is that you don't have to overthink it!

That's my story and I am sticking too it! Full size LSG insulated vertical here, love it with the DigiQ! Truly a set it and forget it 14 hour cook machine.

Greasy water is definitely a mess. I minimize it by only using a little water. I like the looks of a smoke ring and it is difficult if not impossible to get a ring with a cabinet without water. Plus the fact that water helps to stabilize temps.
I've been using a cabinet and have never used water. Been over 4 years. I get a smoke ring every time. I'm not trying to be an asshat just want to know if it's a reverse flow vs direct flow issue? Could that be it? What do the rest of the LSG mafia see in their cookers? Is it consistent? hit and miss? I know a smoke ring doesn't mean diddly but it sure is pretty to look at.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I get a smoke ring at least 3/8" deep, on everything I cook, every single time.
And I never use water. I do use large chunks of hickory (butts and ribs), post oak (brisket), and fruit woods for my chicken.

I don't skimp on wood ever, plenty of smoke, but I run a VERY small fire....that's the key to nice, thin invisible smoke, for a very long time.

I also run my cabinet at 225-235 almost exclusively for brisket and butts.
Ribs I run around 275, and chicken I run at 300-325.

You don't need water to get a smoke ring...you need smoke from real wood and meat, that's it. No different that a stick burner, except that it's insulated and cabinets inherently have a much lower air velocity moving thru them.

Back