THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

yeah, I ran out of wood....thought I had more in the garage but sadly didn't.
I typically use another 30% more, so I was fairly close.

I love the maze, my smoker is still rolling along on about 8 lbs of charcoal. Opened all the vents and top exhaust once I pulled all meats, temp is now around 375 so plenty of fuel still left! I like to let it run wild at the end...helps with cleanup as it carbonizes the area where the meat sat for 12 hours, so when it cools it simply brushes right off. And I run drip trays, so there is zero cleanup. Tomorrow I will empty the ash pan, throw the drip trays away, brush the grate off, and it's ready to put away until next time.

Started smoker at 8am, finished around 9pm, so about 12 hours for a 7 lb butt and a 6.5 lb brisket.
I have a cool 6 second video of the brisket wiggling, but I cant seem to post a video....

Here are some finished pics.

Attachments

Harley, that is exactly the way I run my maze. Great job posting pics for everyone. If your fire is jumping you could try firebricks. That's what chris used to recommend before everyone started asking for t-plates.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks PJTexas, maze works great, fire never jumps on me. I run my plates around 3" apart and have never had any fire jump. Hell, I have never even used the middle to the whole right hand side of my firebox! Still looks factory new! :grin:

If I fill up the maze completely (front to back, then back to front), that is a bit less than 1/2 the firebox will hold, and that will let me run about 20 hours! For my normal cooks, I run front to back left side, then about 1/2 way back to the front, and stop my charcoal there. That gives me 14 hours easy of run time at 225.

And that's with the maze plates taking up a total of probably 9" of extra firebox width. I am sure if I ran the entire firebox in a maze I could literally run for probably 30+ hours without ever stopping. Amazing!

Very nice pictures showing your firebox setup. I believe that's how I'm going to ride mine
when it arrives. Thanks for taking the time.

I bought the plates, seasoned them up on the first burn, put them in a plastic bag. They are somewhere in the garage. Never used them. I just make a trail around the side of the firebox.

F6EFB909-98CA-44F3-B925-1B859FFD604C_zpspho0kgi2.jpg

Never cooked longer than that. Always have coal leftover...

Cool way to do it THoey! I always keep my fire and all charcoal to the very left side, as that's the side closest to the forced air. Never tried anything right of center in the firebox...never needed more than 14 hours of cook time!:icon_smile_tongue:

While waiting for my Mini Insulated to be delivered, (due Friday), I re-read this
entire thread and un-oficially determined the following: since this thread began on 3/30/2014, there have been 14 individuals who have posted who already owned a LSG
Ins. Cabinet. But also in the same time frame, 76 individuals have posted that they
PURCHASED a LSG Cabinet! This does not include folks that were "ready to pull the trigger",
only folks that purchased! Think of the ones that purchase and don't post!!!

My first post on BBQ Brethren and I wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread. I just pulled the trigger on a Reg Insulated after over a year of researching an upgrade to my BGE. This forum/thread is a great resource and I just wanted to express my appreciation for y'alls effort and time in putting this info out their for public consumption. LSG has been responsive and a pleasure to work with, as detailed in this forum, and that plus all the info you guys have provided made the decision a lot easier for someone who is OCD and temporarily experiences bad cases of buyer's remorse after big purchases. Thanks all.

My first post on BBQ Brethren and I wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread. I just pulled the trigger on a Reg Insulated after over a year of researching an upgrade to my BGE. This forum/thread is a great resource and I just wanted to express my appreciation for y'alls effort and time in putting this info out their for public consumption. LSG has been responsive and a pleasure to work with, as detailed in this forum, and that plus all the info you guys have provided made the decision a lot easier for someone who is OCD and temporarily experiences bad cases of buyer's remorse after big purchases. Thanks all.

Congrats on the cooker and welcome to the forum.
I felt exactly the same, and that's why I made my purchase.

I am in the same boat too. My mini was finish on 25th, still waiting for shipment. I don't mind the wait, just glad LSG survived Harvey and hope they are all doing well.

Trucking companies say they are resuming pickups today the 5th but with the backlog I am not sure if all our shipments will get picked up today. Fingers crossed that by mid week we can get all our shipments out and on there way.

Thanks
Chris

Back