Lodge Cast Iron Loaf Pan

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Hard to tell if a deal or not. Walmart in store has always matched their online price, but only infrequently have they matched store to store.

Regardless I have two of these Lodge Cast Iron loaf pans. Outside on cookers they are great. Inside oven great.

Anyway if anyone is in need of a loaf pan, I really enjoy ours

Link to Walmart Lodge Cast Iron loaf pan "sale"

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Cast-Iron-Seasoned-Loaf-Pan/239676695?from=/search

Speaking of Lodge, we've been in Florida this week. On the way down we went by South Pittsburg. There was a Lodge factory outlet that I almost stopped at. I don't need anymore cast iron but I may have to check it out on the trip home.

What do y'all cook in the loaf pan? I know meat loaf is popular but this style pan won't let any of the grease drain out. I was about to purchase this pan a while back, but wasn't sure how it would work.

What do y'all cook in the loaf pan? I know meat loaf is popular but this style pan won't let any of the grease drain out. I was about to purchase this pan a while back, but wasn't sure how it would work.

None of the loaf pans that I have have any drain holes. Same pan for meatloaf or bread. They do make perforated steel ones.

Banana bread.

Meat loaf was as you say, too greasy. So I've learned to form it well enough so it stands on its own without a pan ( or at least using perforated foil).

Not needing one, but thanks for the heads up Adams! Like you've said before, cast iron pans make good gifts. :grin:

Personally I have no trouble using a 90/10 with the various (varying) ingredients meatloaf stays moist. I've never noticed an over greasy meat loaf. Majority of Time I use the Bride's cupcake tin. Nothing I cook meatloaf in has drain wholes nor issues. Easy enough to tip the tin.

here is a Lodge link to cooking ideas. Might kickstart the imagination
https://www.lodgecastiron.com/story/5-new-ways-use-large-loaf-pan

For me anyway, sometimes using cast iron is like me driving my Jeep versus Brides Toyota. Aluminum foil, lightweight steel, cooking engineered plastics etc will also get you there. I just enjoy cooking at times, not always cooking cast iron.

Your House your rules. Lots of ways to reach the end zone.
Smoke on Brethren, smoke on

Seems like the brethren responding are thumbs down. That's cool. As my Dad used to tell me, if everyone did everything alike, no one would ever leave home

Last edited:
I have 2 Lodge CI loaf pans and don't use them nearly as much as I should. I need to dig them out clean and re-season. I haven't used them since I made bacon-wrapped pierogi lasagna.

Same question...

Yeah, I have the same question. I have one, and have rarely used it.

First, I generally make meatloaf in quantities MUCH larger than that tiny lodge cast iron loaf pan. I did see someone on here mentioned they now had a larger pan tho....

I tend to make my loafs with beef, pork, sausage, etc...generally a mix and generally NOT low on the fat scale (fat is flavor you know).

I tend to make my loaves "free standing" on a sheet pan so that fat drains well and it easily browns on all sides...I just line the pan with a silicone mat.

I've been thinking my next meatloaf, however, I might do on my BGE XL over lump and maybe 1-2 chunks of wood....maybe not.

Do any of ya'll cook meatloaf in your stick burners?

Also, do any of ya'll do rolled meatloaf or stuff meatloaves?

I often have fun taking a half sheet pan, lining with plastic wrap....and flatten out my main meat (usually ground beef, but at time mixed with ground pork)....I then put layers of stuff, like sautéed mushrooms, spinach, cheeses....sausages, etc.

And then I use the plastic wrap to roll the meat up jelly roll style and seal the ends and that is put on my sheet pan as described above (discard plastic wrap)...and that is my meat loaf...looks cool on slicing and presentation and always fun for a mix of flavors.

Do you do meatloaf in "flavors"? I vary between regular (a bit spicy, with onions, ketchup based sauce on top)...but sometimes "cajun" with the trinity, and more of a creole sauce, or more Italian, with mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and Italian sausage stuff in side, and more of a pizza sauce topping....

Ok...that's my meatloaf tome....

cayenne

Back