Locked and Loaded-Osage City, KS (merged)

Jeff,

Thanks a million for letting me get my first taste of competition with you and your family. Mrs Hawgsnheifers and I had a blast Friday night and I was quite suprised to find out how differently things are done in competition than I had imagined. After doing quite a bit of smoking on my smokers, I'm going to have to re-train myself if I ever expect to have a chance at competing competatively. I'm looking forward to more opportunities to help you in the future so when it's time for the PB and I to start my own comp team, we will have some experience under our belts.

Jeff, it was good to see you, your new cooker, and Wayne there. Congrats on your chicken call.

Photo, left to right: Eric (my teammate), Jeff, Wayne (Mokan Meatheads), me.

Attachments

• Eric, Jeff, Wayne, Me.jpg
    Eric, Jeff, Wayne, Me.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 63
Eric and Jeff look like they could be brothers...

Congrats, Jeff... That's a nice way to start out the season!

I got to looking at my score sheet this afternoon and I still have to look again to believe it says Big Creek BBQ up there on chicken where all the heavy hitters normally are supposed to be! It may not happen again this year but dang it was fun! Thanks for all the comments!

Todd, like I said, you're welcome any time. We enjoyed having you!

Jeff great job!! Glad you and your daughter had a good time. Can't wait until my kids get old enough!

Great season started in Osage!!

Ok,Ok.... I told Jeff to spill beans for me since I wouldnt see my laptop til this afternoon.... but since he didn't ---

We had a great weekend. First, Taylor (Jeff's daughter)and my daughter Kaylin had thier run of the place. Fast friends, so our daughters obviously have good taste :razz:

And they both are getting thier first BBQ checks!!!
Kaylin took 1st in the Kid's Q with a 166!!!! Two judges gave her straight 9's. She rocked! I'll have to get her a little Brethren shirt for the next call she gets :twisted:

Our weekend went well also. We got a call for 2nd in Pork!!! (Nice check to boot)
Scores: 13th Overall
19th Chicken
47th Ribs
2nd Pork
15th Brisket

Great weather, great friends, and mostly respectable scores out ofthe first cook on a new cooker.

Jeff will be posting the pic of us holding our trophies... BBQ Brethren were representing in KS!!!!!:cool:

Jeff_in_KC said:
Oh and Andy... if you see this... your daughter is going to have some competition in the Kids Q. My five year old will be down shortly before the contest starts and will enter. Here's to our pair taking top prizes!

Our girls are taking thier first checks!!! Kaylin's already asking when they get to play again..... Looks like our girls are Que buds right out of the gate :wink:

Jeff,

Sorry I didn't post sooner but Congratulations Man! Great job by father and daughter! I see you have your Spicewine now. I will PM you because I have a ton of questions. A great way to start the season buddy, for all your efforts, you certainly deserve it. Lets keep it going. I have 30 more days until d-day for our team.

OK here's a few pictures before I have to ... ummm... go do my taxes and submit. :oops:

I haven't figured out how to caption each photo so...

The first one is my daughter (pink shirt/black shorts) and Andy's daughter (red hair) getting their awards and from there on, I guess no captions are necessary.

By the way... I always said I'd give credit where credit is due when I won my first award in BBQ... so here goes: THANK YOU to Wayne (Mokan)! Buddy, you taught me how to do chicken last year! If it weren't for you, I doubt I'd have done what I did yesterday. Thanks!

Last edited:
Congrats Jeff: I forgot to tell you that showing the smoker can be a Pain in the Arse at contest!! My Team Mates tell me that they don't get paid to be smoker salesmen----Unless I'm buying the Coffee!! Fill me in on the performance details of the smoker. ( P. M. Please)

Spice

Congrats Jeff. And to your daughter. What a cool paint job on the Spicepit. Sometimes it looks blue, sometimes it looks green. And I love the American flagpole mod. Way to go! Keep it up.

Jeff, fill us all in on the performance details. every time I read this thread, I go to Spicewine's website and try to figure out how I can get one of his medium smokers, bring it to Orlando and sneak it into my backyard without my wife knowing:redface:

Congrats to you and your daughter.

Way to go Jeff, congrats on the chicken and your finish. From what I could see it was a very tough crowd..

Way to go guys! You had fun, which is the most important thing and you got to walk always makes it better!

You've started the season off on the right foot!!!

Jeff-
You posted that pic, so now I can say with definitive proof, mine's bigger :twisted:

Heh, just kiddin, who'd believe that anyway :cool:

Here are a couple more pics from the weekend. I'm hoping my boxes are on Kim's camera. But Kaylin's was on mine -- she did the garnish herself. I told her uneven lettuce adds character :wink:

KCGsits.JPG

KCGsits2.JPG

KCGsits3.JPG

KCGsits4.JPG

KCGsits5.jpg

Awesome pictures, Andy! Thanks for sharing! Do you want to break it to Kaylin that Taylor won't be at Warsaw on the 28th? She has a soccer game on Saturday at 1pm. I imagine they'll have fun at GAB.

Congrats to Andy (PK), Jeff (CK), and Greg (BR) for you calls...and a special congrats to Taylor and Kaylin for their kids Q - that was cool!!

Seems like all my buds got hardware except for the the meatheads - oh well had a great time, no trips to the emergency room, and nothing got broken!! Oh and the margartia machine was a chick magnet after the Rick Springfield concert!!!:twisted:

So...Jeff was complaining all weekend about "having" to show his new cooker...well I look over there on firday night and he actually has spot lights on it!!!!!:roll:

Tod (toad) and Bruno - nice to meet you guys!!

Back