First Comp Results - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

i would be very happy with those results when i finally decide to do my first kcbs

Congrats! Looking great for your first go.

Only two things I'd say for now. One is try to get the parsley looking a little better. May be the camera but try to get even color and then you also have some where the stem is sticking up and green is pointing down. The other thing is get some jersey gloves to go under nitrile gloves and it will really help in dealing with the hot meat.

That was a small and tough crowd to go against first time out. Your turn ins looked good and you should be happy with the results. I cook with Ira on a regular basis and these guys bring out the big guns.

As long as you are having fun is all that matters. Will you be out at Santa Anita?

Only two things I'd say for now. One is try to get the parsley looking a little better. May be the camera but try to get even color and then you also have some where the stem is sticking up and green is pointing down. The other thing is get some jersey gloves to go under nitrile gloves and it will really help in dealing with the hot meat.

About the parsley, I agree. As a CBJ I don't pay any attention to the garnish beyond determining if it is legal or not, but unfortunately other judges do weigh it in scoring. The chicken/ribs/pork boxes were parsley on top of shredded lettuce, and I found it more difficult to position the parsley how I like it between the lettuce. The brisket box was created by me grabbing handfuls of parsley (no lettuce), mashing them in the box, and then taking 30sec to flip over some of the bigger pieces.

I really like the double glove idea, and will definitely be using that going forward :thumb:

That was a small and tough crowd to go against first time out. Your turn ins looked good and you should be happy with the results. I cook with Ira on a regular basis and these guys bring out the big guns.

As long as you are having fun is all that matters. Will you be out at Santa Anita?

I am on the wait list to judge, but not competing. It will be difficult to get off Friday's for the next few months, so doing comps will be unlikely for a while

About the parsley, I agree. As a CBJ I don't pay any attention to the garnish beyond determining if it is legal or not, but unfortunately other judges do weigh it in scoring. The chicken/ribs/pork boxes were parsley on top of shredded lettuce, and I found it more difficult to position the parsley how I like it between the lettuce. The brisket box was created by me grabbing handfuls of parsley (no lettuce), mashing them in the box, and then taking 30sec to flip over some of the bigger pieces.

I really like the double glove idea, and will definitely be using that going forward :thumb:

I am on the wait list to judge, but not competing. It will be difficult to get off Friday's for the next few months, so doing comps will be unlikely for a while
I have the same problem with getting time off because I take off so often. I was going to compete as RoosterQue but don't have the same time on the weekends with Sailing. I have been working with Ira so I am gonna be there competing with him (I live 10 mins away from the park)

Excellent write up about your first competition experience. Congratulations on getting that first contest under your belt. Isn't it amazing that no how relaxed and on top the game you feel when you practice at home, it feels like you're wearing boxing gloves when assembling your turn in boxes.

You learned so much and things are gonna be a lot easier next time! You have my word on this! Things will pay off for you.

Nice write up. You did pretty good for your first comp, especially since you were basically solo the first day. Congrats, it does get a little easier, though not ever easy.

Nice write up My wife and I just did our first comp recently with about the same realistic goals DAL+1 . Our results were similar except pork where we got real close to dal. We are in the same boat where the next one will be awhile from now. It is a blast and would recommend others who haven't tried it . give it a shot! Lancaster is the only other one we have planned right now maybe we will see you there.

Awesome write up. I did my first comp last year with a 625 to finishing 37th of 72. I thought I did good, now I see I need to work a lot harder! Congrats, and keep on smokin'! Don't know you, but still proud of you! Nice job.

It will slow down for you, once you get the process down. As you found, cooking under a real contest clock is not quite the same as practicing for it, and getting experience around what to do when things go wrong is part of the learning curve.

We used to run around like crazy during turn ins at a contest, but we eventually reached the point where we had idle time and found ourselves sitting around between meat turn ins. That's about the same time we started getting regular calls. I don't think it was a coincidence.

You had a good result for a first contest, and I hope you had fun. Best of luck with the next one.

someone has been studying!!!:grin: i especially liked your trimming of the brisket and the pork butt! great first effort! use a written timeline to prevent yourself from forgetting stuff. also, get a spackle bucket for each leg of your ez-ups then fill them with water and tie down to that and if you haven't made your pvc leg extensions for your prep table, go ahead and make them. they will save your back.

Love the post. I was DQ in beef catagory in my first NEBS contest (late) and it was a domino effect on every catagory after that. Barely made the time for the next 2 catagories even though I practiced turning in meat early. What can go wrong, will go wrong..........

You did a good bit better than we did. But for our first comp making turn-ins and do DQ's made it a success. Our problem is everything but the ribs came off way early, I think due to the humidity, and hot holding so long hurt. If you/we can make it thrugh the adverse conditions we had at HL, you can get through any of theme. No where to go but up basically. See you on the trail.

Wow, great write up. I'm doing my first big boy comp this August, and can't wait! Thanks for the insight!

Good luck bassandbeer, although it is a lot of work, it is also very fun

You did a good bit better than we did. But for our first comp making turn-ins and do DQ's made it a success. Our problem is everything but the ribs came off way early, I think due to the humidity, and hot holding so long hurt. If you/we can make it thrugh the adverse conditions we had at HL, you can get through any of theme. No where to go but up basically. See you on the trail.

Sadly, Todd, neither of us got any calls. If I had to bet any money, it looks like Mike with Smoke Hound has the best shot at RoY (as he is already signing up for a lot of contests), but Angelo with Big D's just took the Left Coast Q/3 Eyz class - so he will be a serious contender. Maybe the two of us need to combine forces to become All About the Green Card Q :laugh:

Excellent write up! I feel your pain and excitement. We finished our first pro contest last year with a 633 overall. Didn't finish DAL...... but, in the bottom three. OUCH!! We had some pretty heavy hitters to go up against and if it wasn't for my dear friends from "High on the Hawg" we would have finished DAL. They spent over an hour with us teaching us how to make boxes. We didn't have a clue. My hat will always be off to them for taking the time to school some ROOK's. Keep on cookin'! It's gotta get better......right?... Anyone?....Anyone? :icon_blush:

Keep on cookin'! It's gotta get better......right?... Anyone?....Anyone? :icon_blush:

economics-teacher-ferris-buellers-day-large-msg-130869842136.jpg

Back