DUBBAGA

is One Chatty Farker
The Good = Burnin' and Lootin' (JerryA) for winning back-to-back GC
The Bad = Weather (most of the Country will have no sympathy for me
t111064.gif
)
The Ugly = My results

3/1/2014 - Havasu Landing CA BBQ Championship

There were 28 teams from CA, AZ, NV and Iowa who made the trip to Havasu Landing CA (just across the water from Lake Havasu, AZ). We all got to enjoy high winds and rain, but fortunately the temperatures were warm enough that we could still be comfortable.

I drive a Kia Spectra, and loaded everything that I needed into the car (well, at least as much as would fit).
Carloadedup.jpg

Carloadedup2.jpg

My wife was flying in from Salt Lake City, UT to meet me at the comp, so I was able to load in extra stuff on the passenger side. I was able to fit 2 EZ-UPs, a 55gal UDS, a stainless steel cart, folding table, 2 coolers, boxes with various supplies, folding chairs, etc etc etc. This is clearly not the ideal situation, but it's what I had to work with.

When I finally arrived on site, the organizer/promoter Thom Emery directed me to my spot. I was set between Hog Heaven Sauces (CA) who was runner-up for 2013 CA Rookie of the Year and Dry 2 Tha Bone (IA). As I was starting to unload my car, the rain and wind increased again. I was soaked, but eventually got everything emptied out. If unloading was fun, setting up 2 EZ-UPs by myself in gusting wind was pure ecstasy. At one point I had to hang on to the legs of the EZ-UPs for over 15min just to keep them from blowing into my neighbor's tent and truck. Eventually the wind calmed down enough for me to tie them down to my car and one of the coolers (shortly after I was brought some concrete blocks to weigh down the other legs).

Site.jpg

By about 7pm I was pretty much set up, but had to move the table/banner from the right side to the left, as the rain began coming in sideways, and I didn't want it coming on the prep area. The big meats were injected and put back in the cooler. I had my timelines for each of the meats taped to the back of the Brethren banner, and my alarms set for each of the major steps. It was time to finally relax and enjoy the proverbial "calm before the storm".

Briefrelaxation.jpg

Nightviewfromthesite.jpg

Around 11pm my wife arrived, and went to sleep in her rented Jeep. I stayed under the tent, as I was going to be firing up the UDS at 11:30pm. Everything went according to schedule, but I was still unable to get much sleep as the winds were gusting and I was still concerned that the EZ-UPs were going to blow away.

Porkbeforefoiling.jpg

Brisketbeforefoiling.jpg

The big meats came off the UDS as scheduled (although the brisket needed another 30min - 1hr to get fully probe tender), thereby making room for chicken and ribs. It was at this point that I began losing my mind, and everything started to go downhill.

Due to the wind/rain, it took 15min longer to wrap the skins back on the thighs than when I was practicing at home, so when I had finally finished with them I rushed to put them in their pans and put them on the smoker. It wasn't until I went to pull them from the pan that I realized that I never applied the rub :doh:. I then had to rub them on the UDS, which resulted in an uneven coating, and had the lid off the UDS for too long which caused the temp to drop (had expected a spike, but it went the other way). As I was 15min behind schedule after wrapping the thighs, and as the temp was lower than scheduled, I had to open the vents to get it back to temp. It got to temp, but then shot way past it.

At about 11:50am the chicken was still on the smoker, as there was still noticeable blood at the bone. Not wanting to open up the lid too often, I wasn't able to do my intended double glazing, and had to focus on getting the chicken cooked fully. At 11:57am I pulled the chicken, poured a quick sauce/glaze over the top and selected which pieces were going in the box. The pieces I wanted weren't fitting, as the thighs were too big, but I finally found 6 pieces that looked ok, and packed them up. Never had an opportunity to apply my finishing rub or take a pic - but at least they got in on time. I had been concerned all afternoon long that I was going to be DQ for uncooked chicken, but the DQ never happened... what a relief.

878, 879, 889, 878, 889, 888 (158.8340 = 22 out of 28 )

I was pretty happy with the rib turn in, although they were slightly overdone due to the temp spike while trying to cook the chicken. The cuts didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, and I had tried to fit 6 ribs wide in the box but they were too large. While trying to move the ribs around to get the final presentation, I accidentally damaged the finish on the 2nd/3rd ribs from the left. Didn't want to add additional sauce/glaze as wasn't sure if it would help or hurt things, so I had to spritz and turn-in.

Ribbox.jpg

898, 887, 877, 888, 989, 788 (162.2972 = 14 out of 28 )

Pork turn-in was an improvisation. I had cooked 2 butts to different temps, with a plan on using one for MM/burnt ends and the other for chunks. While freaking out earlier I didn't have the opportunity to make the burnt ends, and the butt intended for MM was unusable. The MM was overdone while the rest of it was underdone. Fortunately I was happy with the other butt, and was able to both slice and chunk. I had tried to do the pulling with my insulated gloves, but they proved to be too cumbersome, and resulted in my ruining a lot of good pieces. Eventually I changed to disposable gloves and was able to salvage some decent pieces for turning in (the box was not as full as I would have liked though).

Porkbox.jpg

879, 999, 878, 888, 889, 888 (163.9884 = 19 out of 28 )

And finally, brisket. As had been mentioned, it was pulled from the cooker earlier than it needed. I wasn't happy with the burnt ends, so they didn't go in the box. I felt rushed building the brisket box, and wasn't happy that the "sauce" left debris on the slices, and was pooling on the slices. At this point there was nothing left to do, as time had run out, and the clock hit 1:30pm.

Brisketbox.jpg

977, 866, 877, 978, 877, 988 (149.0628 = 23 out of 28 )

As everything was done, I was able to take a photo of my wife in front of our site, and the R&O smoker belonging to Dry 2 Tha Bone

Brethrenbanner.jpg

MyneighborHarlynJanssenRampOsmokerallthewayfromIowa.jpg

Our final score was 634.1824, for 22 out of 28.

My goals for this contest were: make all turn-ins, don't get a DQ, don't be DAL, and get in the top 1/2 for at least 1 category. It was close, but I was able to check off all of these as being accomplished.

It has now been a few days since returning home from Havasu Landing, and can truly say that it was an experience. No matter how much practice is put in and how good a schedule has been made, there is nothing to prepare you for how it "feels" to execute everything at a real comp. Hopefully now that the first one has been completed, any future comps will run smoother, as I now have an actual reference point.

Many people have posted that the best part about competing is the interaction with the other competitors, and I can agree. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Ira (Hog Heaven Sauces), Harlyn (Dry 2 Tha Bone), Kris (Karnivorous ... with a K), Mike (Knife, Pork and Spoon) and Matt (Left Coast Q) were all fantastic, and really made this a memorable experience :clap2:

Those boxes look great. The ribs especially look good to me. Congrats!

Oh and I always seem to throw this in, but in my first Pro KCBS I did finish DAL. Was a magical thing :-D. So you are already one step ahead of the game!!

Great job. Now you are hooked!!!

Ya know, looking at your scores, you did quite well for your first comp. All but one of your appearance scores are pretty good! That helps in the learning curve. You obviously know how to build boxes, now just concentrate on the other 2. Good luck in the near future!

I don't see the Ugly, a 634 is a really good score for the first time out. As they say in football, eventually the game starts to slow down. After a few contests, you are much better able to catch problems early and know how to react to them.

Doing comps under a couple EZ ups is a lot of work. Our first time out, we had probably spent 3 hours unloading and getting set up. About the time we were done, Mo Cason rolled in, parked, and was ready to go. He never even moved a chair out of the trailer. I think his only setup was putting on his big hat.

Great report - thanks for putting that up! This kind of reminds me of playing music - one show is worth about 10 practices it seems.

Great post! I can't beat Jason's DAL overall but I did get DAL in ribs our first time out! The first one was a huge learning experience but if your second is anything like ours it will be light years easier. Just cook a ton.

Very nice post and congrats on getting the first one out of the way! So far I've done 1 Amateur/Backyard Comp and came in 21st out of 30 and 1 Pro KCBS comp and yeaaaa came in DAL overall...so yea just take it all in stride. Your turn in boxes look great. Awesome cuts of ribs, i had such a hard time getting 6 clean slices of ribs out of the 2 racks i cooked for my last comp. And for tying down the EZUPs, after holding on to mine for a while so they wouldnt fly away, i anchored one side down to my trucks running board, the other side down to a cooler and the middle down to a bag of charcoal LOL.

Turn ins will get more relaxed, I have to tell myself "wait" now between turn ins or my boxes are done 10 minutes before the window opens. No DAL is a good start, congrats and when is your next one?

Get yourself a pair of cheap brown jersey gloves (Harbor freight sells them for around $6 a 3 pack) and put them on under your rubber gloves. Almost as good as the heavy heat proof gloves, but you can still work with good dexterity.

Also, all of your boxes look pretty damn good. The only thing I would do on the pork box is fan the MM out, makes it look a little more appetizing.

Those boxes look great. The ribs especially look good to me. Congrats!

Oh and I always seem to throw this in, but in my first Pro KCBS I did finish DAL. Was a magical thing :-D. So you are already one step ahead of the game!!

pretty sure that the last Pro contest I cooked I finished DAL so there's that.

As they say in football, eventually the game starts to slow down. After a few contests, you are much better able to catch problems early and know how to react to them.

I just need those last few hours on Saturday to slow down, it was amazing how fast the clock moved between 11:00am - 1:30pm

And for tying down the EZUPs, after holding on to mine for a while so they wouldnt fly away, i anchored one side down to my trucks running board, the other side down to a cooler and the middle down to a bag of charcoal LOL.

Other than the bag of charcoal, that is 95% of how I was running until they brought around the concrete blocks

Turn ins will get more relaxed, I have to tell myself "wait" now between turn ins or my boxes are done 10 minutes before the window opens. No DAL is a good start, congrats and when is your next one?

For my first time out I tried to get the boxes at the tent at the start of the 5min early window. Not sure when the next one will be, I probably won't be able to take off a Friday again for a few months, so judging will be on the schedule for a while

Get yourself a pair of cheap brown jersey gloves (Harbor freight sells them for around $6 a 3 pack) and put them on under your rubber gloves. Almost as good as the heavy heat proof gloves, but you can still work with good dexterity.

Also, all of your boxes look pretty damn good. The only thing I would do on the pork box is fan the MM out, makes it look a little more appetizing.

Thanks for the info on the gloves under the gloves, that sounds like it would have been perfect. I was concerned about the appearance of the sauced/glazed MM looking too much like a pile of _____, but fortunately in person it looked better

Overall the best thing I was able to take away from this was the 9-9-9 on pork, especially as the judge who gave it to me only did that one other time during the contest (on a different meat). Now I only need to try cloning him/her.

I am considering making myself a 4ft tall trophy proclaiming myself as the winner of 14th place ribs... Matt, do you know of anyone that can make me a completely fraudulent and undeserved trophy? :laugh:

Congrats man! Great write-up and pics! I hear ya on the chicken, I was sure mine was going to get DQ'd at my first comp (it didn't), but I fully understand your paranoia. Now the hard part will be waiting until your next comp!

Love the Brethern flag!

I am considering making myself a 4ft tall trophy proclaiming myself as the winner of 14th place ribs... Matt, do you know of anyone that can make me a completely fraudulent and undeserved trophy? :laugh:

I wouldn't bother . . . From the looks of your boxes and your obvious dedication to it, I don't think it will be long before you get a real one :clap2:

Back