Let's Talk Efficiency Tips & Tricks For Setup

Rule 17d clearly states 3 wash bins. I have never been to a comp where they do not ask where it is. I am surprised to hear you don't have to do it, but it is a rule.

17) The following cleanliness and safety rules will apply:

d. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with the
use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of water).
Each contestant will provide a separate container for
washing, rinsing and sanitizing of utensils.

I use as much disposable items as possible and wash the rest when I get home. I always have water, bleach water and soap. When asked, I just set out 3 half pans and I'm good to go.

18.5" WSM nests inside the UDS. I cut the bolts that hold the UDS's grates to just the right amount of clearance. I put those rubber/plastic screw covers on the bolt ends to protect the WSM. A towel goes over where the WSM's lid sits, the lid goes into/on the towel upside down and then the lid closes on the UDS holding the WSM together inside it. Two bags of charcoal, one on each rear floor board. Two big black boxes in the rear seat - one with "outside stuff" (think extension cords, light, smoker supplies), one with foil, gloves, etc. The grates for the smokers go in a heavy duty black garbage bag on the box behind the driver's seat. Fold in half 6 foot table in the trunk first, two coolers on top of that (red cooler has raw meat on the way there and is our "hot box" when we need to rest big meats later; blue cooler is for drinks, injections, etc.), tool box with knives, rubs, etc. goes behind the coolers. Case of beer to the passenger side of the trunk. Change of clothes, toiletries and directions in the passenger seat. Done! Todd from Bark Bros. said it best - "Wow! You run lean and mean!"

And I thought we went light competing out of a minivan!

Rule 17d clearly states 3 wash bins. I have never been to a comp where they do not ask where it is. I am surprised to hear you don't have to do it, but it is a rule.

17) The following cleanliness and safety rules will apply:

d. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with the
use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of water).
Each contestant will provide a separate container for
washing, rinsing and sanitizing of utensils.

I didn't even know this... We've never been asked even for a 1 wash bin, granted this is Europe..

The wash bins are in the rules, but appear to be enforced regionally. I have cooked all over the SE and never been asked about them. I have also cooked in Michigan and it was "mentioned", but they never asked to see them.

The wash bins are in the rules, but appear to be enforced regionally. I have cooked all over the SE and never been asked about them. I have also cooked in Michigan and it was "mentioned", but they never asked to see them.

We've never been asked about wash bins in Ohio, Indiana, or Kentucky either...
Only 2 comps have even checked for fire extinguishers.

We've never been asked about wash bins in Ohio, Indiana, or Kentucky either...
Only 2 comps have even checked for fire extinguishers.

Same here in MO/KS/AR...have been asked a couple times about fire extinguishers, but it's super rare.

Back