Let's talk brisket- "Probe Tender"

It's called wrap it in Butcher paper after 4 hrs

Been there, done that. I actually prefer foil, if I cook at 300+ and use butcher paper after four hours my bark is sometimes really really hard. Like the outer edges start dehydrating almost one inch deep under the bark. And I don't mind the softer bark I get with foil, although I don't like the pot roasty flavor if I foil for too long.

Certainly for me wrapping in BP after 4 hours does't make the brisket cook to even tenderness. Edges that are on the thin side are already almost incinerated before wrapping... But then again maybe I should trim them of before cooking.

I've been cooking briskets pretty much the same way you do for ages, just using foil instead BP. Still have a hard time getting them out when they're just right. 90% of the time I overcook them and the flats are dry as sand.

I actually prefer undercooked to overcooked by a landslide, since overcooking takes all the flavour away as well.. Of course just right would be the best, but... ;-)

Been there, done that. I actually prefer foil, if I cook at 300+ and use butcher paper after four hours my bark is sometimes really really hard. Like the outer edges start dehydrating almost one inch deep under the bark. And I don't mind the softer bark I get with foil, although I don't like the pot roasty flavor if I foil for too long.

Certainly for me wrapping in BP after 4 hours does't make the brisket cook to even tenderness. Edges that are on the thin side are already almost incinerated before wrapping... But then again maybe I should trim them of before cooking.

I've been cooking briskets pretty much the same way you do for ages, just using foil instead BP. Still have a hard time getting them out when they're just right. 90% of the time I overcook them and the flats are dry as sand.

I actually prefer undercooked to overcooked by a landslide, since overcooking takes all the flavour away as well.. Of course just right would be the best, but... ;-)

Sounds like you need to wrap sooner when using bp and later when wrapping in foil. Do you vent after you pull the brisket off the cooker?

I had a lot of difficulty with briskets too. I posted a thread titled brisket is my nemesis not too long ago, but my last couple have been outstanding. I joined Costco so I could get prime briskets and I'm sure that helps. But I think the jello feel thing has helped me the most. Depending on the uniformity of the flat, if you cook until the thickest part of the flat has little to no resistance, you may over cook the rest. Trying to find thick uniform flats is very difficult. Also I think the venting part is very important as well. I made sure to vent the last couple for at least an hour before holding.

There should definitely be some resistance still. The probe until it is like butter is a little misleading, especially to a new guy IMHO. I think the peanut butter comment was pretty good.

I'd also go so far as to say the probe feel of perfectly done brisket has more resistance than a perfectly done pork butt.

The best is aim for a texture between peanut butter and almond butter, but assuming of course that the mix of peanut butter and almond butter has a 20% mix of cashew butter. Now THAT would be some fine eating brisket ! :shock:

Sounds like you need to wrap sooner when using bp and later when wrapping in foil. Do you vent after you pull the brisket off the cooker?

Yep, but not for an hour as suggested below. Maybe for 20 minutes - half an hour...

I wrap with foil around 4 hours into the cook if cooking at 300F. And it's grate temp, not dome or door temp.

Ok, just did something I've never done before. I overcooked brisket deliberately. I really should have done this earlier.

For me and my probe, there is clearly more resistance after a brisket has gone past its "perfect window". Difference seems to be that the bark starts to crack and split if overcooked.

So clearly I should check more often for probe feel, at least when cooking at 300F.

To the OP, I see no one else has mentioned it but what grade of brisket are you using? I wasted alot of time and $$ trying to get a Select grade to smoke like a Choice. The difference is night and day. We've also been fortunate to taste Wagu Prime brisket cooked at a comp. It too is at a whole new level. I will not do any brisket less than Choice.

Back