Let's talk brisket- "Probe Tender"

So what do you all use to probe? Thermapen, toothpick, butter knife???

Thermapen. If you don't have one of those, you can use a skewer of some sort. A toothpick might not be long enough depending on the thickness of the flat, but it could work. I wouldn't use a butter knife to probe anything.

I love Louie Mueller in Taylor. The building is unbelievable. You can smell the decades of smoke stuck in that old building

DSCF0066Modified2.jpg

We have two or three of those cheap little dial instant read thermometers. They work fine for probing as well as checking temps. The probe is long enough and only about 1/8" in diameter.

I generally avoid fancy electronic stuff where it doesn't add any value versus simple mechanical. Simple mechanical will never have dead batteries when I go to use it.

So you guys probing are you looking for "zero/butter" resistance or the "a little bit/jar of PB" resistance? My hope is to give noobs like me something to go off of, and do away with people talking temperature all together :twisted:.

This is actually very hard, or least for me it's been a struggle. I have a habit of overcooking briskets, so I've dialed back my "probe feel" and now I'm getting closer. Still not perfect though, now I'm undercooking just a bit :D

At least with the quality of briskets I'm able to get, there is still "some" resistance when it's done. But the best indication seems to be the jello effect, however I don't think all briskets will ever become that tender.

I have an additional question: why do we probe the thickest part of the flat?

Let's say we have a brisket that has thin flat that makes 85% of the cut, and only a very small part of the flat is thick.

Why would we want to have 85% of the flat somewhat overcooked and only the small portion to be perfect? Wouldn't it make more sense to try to get most of the brisket perfect?

Or does someone have a top secret technique to cook a brisket to even tenderness all the way? Other than selecting more even briskets and trimming to more even thickness.

That video of how Louie Mueller does their briskets is exactly how I was taught. I learned to pinch or grab the brisket, eventually, you get that feel, and you just will know it is done. The probe method also works, I like a very light resistance, a knife into room temp peanut butter is a good idea.

Let's say we have a brisket that has thin flat that makes 85% of the cut, and only a very small part of the flat is thick.

Why would we want to have 85% of the flat somewhat overcooked and only the small portion to be perfect? Wouldn't it make more sense to try to get most of the brisket perfect?

Or does someone have a top secret technique to cook a brisket to even tenderness all the way? Other than selecting more even briskets and trimming to more even thickness.

i cut the thin part off and cook it as a snack so nothing is wasted. some take the thin part off and use it for ground beef, sausage, etc. the brisket Wayne Mueller had looks like what i do to mine. really thin fat cap, the thin part of the flat cut off and less than 10LBS. i only have 2 people to feed when i cook brisket so i don't need to cook a big one.

This is actually very hard, or least for me it's been a struggle. I have a habit of overcooking briskets, so I've dialed back my "probe feel" and now I'm getting closer. Still not perfect though, now I'm undercooking just a bit :D

At least with the quality of briskets I'm able to get, there is still "some" resistance when it's done. But the best indication seems to be the jello effect, however I don't think all briskets will ever become that tender.

It's called wrap it in Butcher paper after 4 hrs

Back