Lets talk about Goats.

Badgerjacob

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Brian
I had a friend bring me a large female goat a while back. She was too big to fit in my smoker so I cut her into quarters. I prepared her like I would a pig. Shot her up with a Cajun butter marinade and gave her a nice dry rub. Smoked her till she reached an I.T. of 160. Presentation was beautiful. It turned a light golden brown and held moisture very well. This was the absolute worst meat that I have ever put in my mouth. If tasted tainted or spoiled, kinda like a bad piece of chicken if you have ever had that. I know that the meat was not spoiled because I did the butchering and the preparations myself. Maybe she was too old or sick? Since then I have had goat on several occasions down in the Caribbean and it was excellent. I would like to try again, but this time I am going to butterfly and spin on my rotisserie. Any help in the matter would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Had it once in the Dominican Republic and thought it was pretty good. That was braised with assorted vegetables until it could be pulled. Have not had it grilled.

My brother made some a while back in a slow cooker. Oddly, even though immersed in liquid it came out dry. Flavor was not bad, but not......good.

Probably the goat. I have had it several times and it never had an off flavor. It needs to have as much blood drained as possible and we always soak it in some lightly salted water twice before we cook it...

Baby Goat. I've had if only a couple times - Mexican guys at work brought in some to work- not bad - shredded taco style. They only eat Baby Goats. I think it's braised.

good article. Read and you'll know why I can't get the link to post but if you'll Google
"Texas Monthly Brady BBQ Goat 1986 by Helen Thomas"

Short and informative.

I've smoked goat a number of times. Usually get it from the local Mexican market. Tastes somewhat like lamb, but a bit gamier. Never had a problem with an "off" flavor.

I think goat has a texture that is fairly unpleasant if you aren't used to it. It's almost a bit greasy in the mouth feel. I can see that greasiness translating to rancid flavor if just about anything isn't perfect. That's probably why it's commonly stewed.

I had a friend bring me a large female goat a while back. She was too big to fit in my smoker so I cut her into quarters. I prepared her like I would a pig. Shot her up with a Cajun butter marinade and gave her a nice dry rub. Smoked her till she reached an I.T. of 160. Presentation was beautiful. It turned a light golden brown and held moisture very well. This was the absolute worst meat that I have ever put in my mouth. If tasted tainted or spoiled, kinda like a bad piece of chicken if you have ever had that. I know that the meat was not spoiled because I did the butchering and the preparations myself. Maybe she was too old or sick? Since then I have had goat on several occasions down in the Caribbean and it was excellent. I would like to try again, but this time I am going to butterfly and spin on my rotisserie. Any help in the matter would be much appreciated.

Sure sounds like you treated the goat/meat right Badgerjacob. Like you said, it could have been an older one.
I get goats from a friend, they are meat breed goats, (Boer) and are really tasty. Other breeds are good if you get them while they are small.
Lately, I've been braising the meat with good results.
Sorry, I'm not much help!
Good luck with it, hope you take pics if you get the time!

Cowgirl has posted a leg a cpl times I think. Here it is:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154209

Of course Cowgirl could cook up Monkey Brains and Hyenna Uterus and it'd be Delicious

She needs to get those Cooking Classes going.........

Ha!! While I appreciate the kind comment... I'm more of a "bring your own beer over and we'll throw something on the fire" kind of person. I'd feel guilty charging people for something as simple as cooking. :laugh::thumb:

I would like to replicate the experience that I had in the Caribbean. There is just something mesmerizing about seeing that piece of meat turn over and open fire.

Sure sounds like you treated the goat/meat right Badgerjacob. Like you said, it could have been an older one.
I get goats from a friend, they are meat breed goats, (Boer) and are really tasty. Other breeds are good if you get them while they are small.
Lately, I've been braising the meat with good results.
Sorry, I'm not much help!
Good luck with it, hope you take pics if you get the time!

Ha!! While I appreciate the kind comment... I'm more of a "bring your own beer over and we'll throw something on the fire" kind of person. I'd feel guilty charging people for something as simple as cooking. :laugh::thumb:

I grew up eating goat that my father always cooked over an open fire. But it was always a young goat, Cabrito. I do remember my father always saying the old goats were not good for eating.

He always grilled over a low open fire and simply seasoned with garlic salt pepper and a little bit of lemon juice, they were always delicious. I can't get fresh goat these days so I rarely cook it.

I would say next try, if there is a next try for you, go with a young goat and grill over coals.

I'd bet my money on it being an older goat, too. We raise and butcher our own goats, and you can definitely tell the different between a young one and an older one. Anything over about 2 years old isn't going to be real good.

One trick I've heard is that soaking the meat in buttermilk will help take some of that 'goat funk' taste out of older meat. I haven't tried that myself, though, since we don't eat the older ones.

One other question you might ask-- was the goat kept with (or near) a buck? Those suckers smell like you wouldn't believe when they're in rut, and everything around them takes on that stank.

Just for fun, we did some goat ribs awhile back. Tasted great, but only had about two bites of meat on them! :)

Goat on the left, pork babybacks on the right
ribs%20ribs_zpsxd5r8ket.jpg

Not exactly a substantial meal, but was sure tasty! :)

goat%20rib_zpsf9pjrmzd.jpg

Badgerjacob we used to cook them as our end of school FFA party. We cooked over an open pit for well over 16 hrs. We had a tomato based mop sause that we basted them with every hour. The younger the goat the better.

Sounds like an older goat that already had a kid or several. If I roast/que goat or lamb I like them young. Mutton and old goats I stew with lots of green chilies, onion, cumin, cilantro and hominy, the strong flavor really mellows out.

Back