THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am fine with KBB (especially at sale time) and use lumps off and on but prefer wood anytime. I never use any liquid ignigher or products impregnated with them.

I too am a fan of the Home Depot double bag sale of KBB, but I have found that when building a fire it is better to make sure all of the K's on the briquettes are pointed in the same direction before your squirt on the lighter fluid, seems to make a better burning fire. Just sayin'

Use a 50/50 mixture of regular gas and mineral spirits, then the Ks don't matter...:biggrin1:

Never heard of this brand, but it was on sale and it was maple lump. It burnt just like lump does with a hint of maple. Probably wouldn't stock up on a whole lot of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 100
Seriously, I've tried Stubbs, RO, a bunch of different "Bargain Brands", several Different kinds of lump, and some home done stuff. At the end of the day I can't really say I've found anything that burns better and as consistently as KBB. The Kingsford competition stuff is about the only thing I've not tried.

I Mean lump seems to burn hotter, but other than that...

The biggest difference I've noticed in taste was going from a fluid started fire to the chimney....

I grew up learning how to burn meat from my dad who hails from Texas, and we always have used Kingsford Blue bag, once I moved out and had to pay for everything I tried a few different brands but always end up back in that camp. Not saying its the best for anyone else but it is for me. For any flavorsmoke I was fortunate enough to have several varieties of fruit trees that we would use on the fire. Heck I didnt start using a chimney till 2years ago, we would always make a small pile and light it with a torch then add "the right amount" to do the cook.

Good discussion tho,always nice to see what other folks are using

I love Wicked Good Weekend Warrior..... but the When KBB is ~$500 a pallet I get 2 :)

530510_10201249705677996_51282131_n.jpg

1243920_10201249704637970_558624150_o.jpg

for store bought lump, I started using Carbon Del Sur from Rest Depot.

I find it to be an excellent product. Its very similar to Wicked Good. And its about $9 for a 20lb bag.

I have tried many brands but always end up with KBB Or Kingsford comp. My friends and family have had no issues with it. Not looking for a debate but to each their own, as they say vive la difference.

My go to is Royal Oak lump and if I have some extra money to spend I will pick up a bag of Wicked Good Lump. I had to stop using KBB because the ash was choking my fire after only a 4 or 5 hours in my WSM. Since switching to lump I haven't had a single issue.

I thought I'd get a few replies but didn't expect 4 pages worth of valuable experience. The wealth of knowledge on here is great. Keep 'em coming!

Back