Adams... Advice for the best MSU Chili

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bill
G'Day Adams (and Brethren).

I need to make some chili. It's getting cold here in Melbourne and I'm still stuck here. Thought I could use some input. I have made one decent (IMO) Chili in my life so thought I'd ask the Master.

Now there might be a few of you out there that may dispute who the master is, but I think it's Adams and if you disagree I dare you to a Chili Cookoff to settle the matter once and for all.:mrgreen:

Let's forget the "beans, no beans" argument for the moment BUT.

What goes in a chili?
What doesn't?

What's your "go to" best chili recipe? Or is it MSU all the time?

Would you make a chili out of tri tip? I have some I just got yesterday.

I have a number of books on Chili including this one:
51SvvAlrwfL._SX340_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

(Thanks Adams).

Nevertheless I feel it's time for an erudite discussion on the issue.

I'm off to my USA Foods store in an hour to get ingredients.

It's Chili day today one way or another.

Cheers!

Bill

First off, if you want a recipe, it ain't msu.
As to what goes in chili, first chili peppers, second meat. After those two, it's msu baby.
But that book you got is a good one, use as a guide, you won't go wrong. Any smoked meats found in freezer, great candidates.

Btw: I love lamb.

I just typed a brilliant masterpiece, and went to post and received an error code. Saved and tried again, same error code. Restart I can now post but my response is history. The way the week has been

I just typed a brilliant masterpiece, and went to post and received an error code. Saved and tried again, same error code. Restart I can now post but my response is history. The way the week has been

Adams, is that the dreaded 500 Internal Error?

If so, it's unhinged me a few times when I had something really important to say. Looks like MSU wins the day.

Can someone educate this ignorant fool as to what is MSU in regards to chili?

My preferences
100% ground beef or 75/25 GB to small cubes.
The small cubes can be tri tip, steak, brisket point, basically any cut that doesn't shred, for instance brisket flat, pulled pork.I don't care for brownies sized chunks of meat in stews nor chili.

At its is most basic chili is Chile Con Carne- Chiles With Meat. A gruel.
First meat was thought to be a slow moving Spanish Conquistador simmered until tender, mashed with wild chile.

To me, everything after that is just pretend and makes beans vs no beans a null argument. Silly actually.

I'm still down 65# from 2018 but that reflects up 15# from my low. I've been eating pork skins in lieu of corn chips with my chili. However if you look at ingredients lists Fritos are probably the healthier choice amongst chips, crackers etc

And I adhere to the cowgirl Tequila Rule: two shots, one for the pot one for the cook

Last edited:
Mine is pretty basic
Cans of whole tomatoes which I manually crush
6-7 cans of beans- Chili beans, dark red kidney beans, black beans, and white beans,
3 cans fire roasted chilis
pimentos
bottle of beer
chili powder
ancho chili powder
cumin
cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
80-20 ground beef
large sweet onion chopped
2 green peppers- chopped- onion and peppers get sauted in fry pan and some garlic
turns out pretty good

I guess we all have our stand byes. George listed some basics, though 6-7 cans is a LOT of beans. Must quantify the batch size.

I like 80/20 ground beef and cubed pork. Roasted green peppers (Hatch if you have them) supplemented with a couple jalapenos and a big red bell (roasted and peeled). Onion and garlic. Season "to taste". Have fun.

Posted this recipe before. Never comes out the same because it's based on fresh peppers and they vary. I like a variety of them in chili...lends a balance of flavor. Different peppers also add color for visual appeal. Taste test each variety for flavor and heat to see what you're dealing with.

Tinker with every batch. Substituted smoked turkey breast for the ground beef and habanero for the finger peppers in the TD batch. Toasted coriander seeds along with cumin seeds before grinding. Have substituted lamb for the beef in the past.

Ingredients:
2# ground chuck
2# ground pork
2 tbl olive oil
½ cup red wine
2 cups beef stock
2 cans crushed or diced tomatoes (28 oz)
1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
2 Anaheim peppers (seed & medium-fine chop all peppers)
6 jalapeno peppers
2 Serrano peppers
2 red finger peppers
2-3 large white onions (medium-fine chop)
8 large cloves garlic (minced)
½ tsp red chili flakes
2 tbl dried oregano
2 tbl dried basil
2 tbl ground cumin
1 tbl gray sea salt
2 cans red kidney beans (19 oz, rinsed)
2 cans black beans (19 oz, rinsed)

Very simple cook:
Brown meat in olive oil, drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer covered 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Usually simmer an hour before adding the beans.

Peppers, onions, and garlic go into the pot raw. Sautéing causes them to lose both color and a bit of crunch.

You can substitute ale or stout for the wine but don't recommend that unless the entire batch will be consumed or frozen within 2 days. Something about beer that makes chili get skanky. Learned that on a camping trip. Raccoons were fighting over the spot I dumped the leftover stank back in trees.

I guess we all have our stand byes. George listed some basics, though 6-7 cans is a LOT of beans. Must quantify the batch size.

I like 80/20 ground beef and cubed pork. Roasted green peppers (Hatch if you have them) supplemented with a couple jalapenos and a big red bell (roasted and peeled). Onion and garlic. Season "to taste". Have fun.

I make a pretty big pot. Use 3 large cans of whole tomatoes that I crush and go from there

Well. I made some. It still needs more time to meld together. I think I turned it into a 2 day exercise.

Lots of great info here. I love the thought of Pork rinds on the side. In my book, pork rinds are the healthiest alternative. When you are on a Keto diet, fats are your friend. Free sugars of any kind are (in my book), toxic.

Today started gloomy and overcast, and I needed to get out of the house. Ended up wandering around a used book store. Over in the Cooking section, I spied "Texas Home Cooking" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison (they also wrote "Smoke and Spice", which I think is pretty good). Thinking of this post, I turned to the chapter "Championship Chili". And the first recipe is literally "MSU" in more words. Ingredients: Meat, Chile, Imagination.
msu-chili-recipe.jpg

Loving That.

I just had to re-boil the chili folks. It wasn't quite done.

Give it a coupla hours on full boar.. :pound::pound::pound:

Back