THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

really makes a difference on what cooker I am using and what kind of cook I am doing

No one best for everything

todays choice was super hot for steak so I used home made lump

would not use that for a rib cook, for instance

Said it before but I'll say it again, just to arg...., uh discuss. My go to is my own homemade lump made with dry oak but for store bought I find Stubbs hard to beat. Consistently faster starts, better fires/heat and less ash (by a bunch) than KBB, Royal Oak or aby others I've tried. Get mine at Lowes.

This! ^^^

I use Matchlight in my UDS, i will use two or three bags depends on how long i need to cook!

2q07znd.gif

I too am a fan of the Home Depot double bag sale of KBB, but I have found that when building a fire it is better to make sure all of the K's on the briquettes are pointed in the same direction before your squirt on the lighter fluid, seems to make a better burning fire. Just sayin'

I use kingsford blue most of the time. Started using b and b charcoal it has a nice oak flavor to it. Also used the B and B lump. Haven't quit figured it out yet. I smoked a brisket on uds and couldn't ever get a good clean burn. Someone mentioned cooking at a higher temp.

I use kingsford blue most of the time. Started using b and b charcoal it has a nice oak flavor to it. Also used the B and B lump. Haven't quit figured it out yet. I smoked a brisket on uds and couldn't ever get a good clean burn. Someone mentioned cooking at a higher temp.

Lump burns Hotter and needs more airflow - I have never liked Lump in my UDS - Ive tried 4 Brands including RO.

I still have a few bags of Rancher hardwood briquettes in the garage from when they did the market test with Home Depot. I really like the way it burns and smells. I use it in my WSMs, Kettles, PBC and Backwoods. In my Eggs I used lump, mostly Royal Oak since that's what I can get easily and I've never had a problem with it.

Based upon the availability, price, and quality - Royal Oak for BGE, and KBB or Competition for my Santa Maria pits with a fairly heavy use of Oak or Mesquite as the hardwood.

Back