Lamb leg - trussed or not?

Grousegrove

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Matt
Think I’ll try barbecuing a 6 lb boneless leg of lamb. It came trussed up in one of those basket contraptions and I was thinking I’d leave it that way. Is this a mistake? Last time I did this it was bone-in and I hadn’t considered this.

Tips welcome.

If cooking on a spit, it should stay trussed. Otherwise, I would butterfly it out to provide more area for smoke, and it would cook a little faster. But trussed might retain more moisture.

I'd take it off. More surface area for a rub or marinade. Roast it in a Weber kettle or similar at 300 F indirect until 125F internal if you want it medium to medium rare. Baste and turn a few times. Rest foiled for 20 minutes before slicing.

Enjoy.

I'll use the socks when I'm hanging things in my drum, like shoulder hams or loin hams, but otherwise I don't like them.

One year our lamb supplier gave us boneless legs with socks (top shelf) instead of bone-in legs without socks. I was afraid they might come apart a little during cooking so we left them on. Here is what they looked like - once sliced you don't see the little puffy squares.

kRc8BTo.jpg

I'll use the socks when I'm hanging things in my drum, like shoulder hams or loin hams, but otherwise I don't like them.

One year our lamb supplier gave us boneless legs with socks (top shelf) instead of bone-in legs without socks. I was afraid they might come apart a little during cooking so we left them on. Here is what they looked like - once sliced you don't see the little puffy squares.

kRc8BTo.jpg

Those look great! I may be biased because I'm from Kentucky but BBQ Lamb is the best!

Those look great! I may be biased because I'm from Kentucky but BBQ Lamb is the best!

At the biggest party I help out with each year many of the guests raise sheep and we can get a good deal from the Co-Op. I can't tell you how many people will admit they only like barbecued lamb. The ones we buy are technically yearlings.

Back