LA area advice please for Tue/Wed 6/7 Sep - BBQ and other

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Hi there

As part of a commitment to the Great American road trip (the 'Eating' sub-category :-D), will be in the LA area on Tue&Wed 6/7 Sep (driving up/down from SF before and after). We did Jockos last trip as a day-long sidetrip, but more dedicated this time to LA.

So, looking for some Brethren assistance in digging out the gems. Am looking not only for straight BBQ (e.g. Bludso's - what are the other current faves ... on the web the list is quite long), would love to have tried some that are closed or gone (APL?). I am very interested in the grilling side of things (need to try some tritip close to it's US spiritual home - have tried the Brazilian real deal) ... but especially interested in Mexican/BBQ overlap (missed Valentina's when we went to Austin) or even straight Mexican (any reluctance in this regard results from years of bean-dominated stodge in NZ/Australia labelled as 'Mexican').

Actually, when I think about it we are up for anything (why isn't Smorgasburg open 7 days ... and what about the Korean thing!) so as long as you recommend it, we'll give it a go, time permitting.

Are you taking I-5 from SF to LA? Or are you taking the 101? Hwy 101 will be a much better drive with better food options (on the way), but the trip will take longer. Or are you strictly looking for ideas in the LA area?

Also, are you looking for casual (budget friendly) or nice attire and reservations ($$$)? Or a mix of both?

Are you taking I-5 from SF to LA? Or are you taking the 101? Hwy 101 will be a much better drive with better food options (on the way), but the trip will take longer. Or are you strictly looking for ideas in the LA area?

Also, are you looking for casual (budget friendly) or nice attire and reservations ($$$)? Or a mix of both?

Thanks Mike. We will come down the 1/101 on Monday arvo, spend the night around Santa Barbara, then into L.A. midmorning Tuesday. Will go back up the 101/1 on Thursday morning to SFO for an evening flight to NZ. If you know of places north of L.A. along the 101 then we would love to hear.

We don't mind the style/setting/cost of the location - all is grist to the mill, so a mix. I have an idea in the back of my mind to try out a few Harry Bosch locations as well. One thing I know for sure is that I want to try a beef rib quesadilla!

Ralph

I was in Anaheim last Month and Craft by Smoke and Fire wasn't too bad and had some Mexican BBQ dishes. I was hoping to try out Heritage in Juan Capistrano, but didn't have time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jlx1aTro-g

Thanks Mike, I see Bowers BBQ is your channel. Good stuff. So Craft and Heritage are two great possibilities. I'll let you know the results.

Ralph

Thanks Mike. We will come down the 1/101 on Monday arvo, spend the night around Santa Barbara, then into L.A. midmorning Tuesday. Will go back up the 101/1 on Thursday morning to SFO for an evening flight to NZ. If you know of places north of L.A. along the 101 then we would love to hear.

We don't mind the style/setting/cost of the location - all is grist to the mill, so a mix. I have an idea in the back of my mind to try out a few Harry Bosch locations as well. One thing I know for sure is that I want to try a beef rib quesadilla! Ralph

Ralph,

I'll send you a PM.

Mike

One other thought was that some BBQ places may not be open early in the week, so may need to look at daylight/popup BBQ - any experience along those lines?

Aaaarrrggghhh .... trip is off.

My wife has to go into serious surgery this Friday so jaunts to BBQ, taco trucks and the like in L.A. are to be delayed for another day. Thanks so much to all for input - all info preserved and will be the basis of what will now be a 2023 trip, hopefully late spring.

Onwards!

Ralph in Auckland

Back