Knock Off LJS's fish batter

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
We no longer have Long John Silver's within 100 miles. I really enjoyed them when they were here. Recently read an article where Gorton's beer battered Pollock and Sam's Beer battered cod were almost identical cooked in an air fryer. Pictured is the Gorton's. Missing grease and crumbles but the fish and batter with malt vinegar have you thinking you're in a booth wearing a pirate hat. Recipe too.

Long John Silver’s Batter - Don't Lose This Recipe
Ingredients
3/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
Directions:
Sift dry ingredients.
Add water and mix well.
Use to coat fish or chicken filets.
Cover the fish completely.
Deep fry until a nice golden brown.

Last edited:
That looks pretty close to what I use but I don't measure. The ingredients are the same though.. Good eats Adams! Looks delicious!

I've been doing Gorton's Extra Crispy fillets in the air fryer.... they do indeed turn out great. I've gotten away from tarter sauce and just sprinkle SuckleBusters LPG (lemon pepper garlic) followed by a spritz of spray veggie oil. Good eats and super quick. Loving that air fryer.

I worked as a cook one summer in high school (eons ago) and the batter came as powder in brown bags. You'd open a bag, dump it in a bucket, add a measured amount of water and stir it with a whisk. That was it. There sure wasn't any club soda back then (80's).

I worked there 60+ hours/week that summer (you'd get time-and-a-half after 40 hours so "big money") and I continuously smelled of old fish/batter the whole summer. I can still tell if I'm within a half mile of a LJS as the smell hasn't changed in 40 years. Good food but, I still cant eat it due to that summer long ago.

Back